Favorite "Underrated" Movies

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
So, I just started doing the "Netflix" thing and love it!

Given their huge library of movies, I'm now looking to catch some great "diamond in the rough" movies that I may have missed.

So I'm requesting the advice from everyone here...

What are your favorite "underrated" movies. I'm not talking about obvious flicks like The Godfather or Star Wars or Braveheart. I'm looking for great movies that may have gone under the radar for one reason or another.

Thanks in advance!

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
None of these are Oscar worthy but still either good dramas or comedies that make you laugh. (** means NOT safe for young eyes or ears)

October Sky - Drama

The New Guy- Comedy

Waiting - Look for the bat wing LOL Comedy **

Sorority Boys - Comedy - Really Dumb, but still funny in spots **

Saun of the Dead - Comedy/Zombie movie

Bad Boys - Drama - No not the one with Will Smith and Martin Lawrence, the older one (mid 80's maybe) with Sean Penn. Movie of him being sent to prison.
Of course I have not seen it in over 10 years so maybe it is not as good as I remember. **

Tiger Land - Drama/Action - Movie about soldiers training to go to vietnam. **

The Devils Brigade - Older WWII movie that some may not have seen.

Excalibur - Was a big movie when released but you may not have seen it depending on your age. One of the better, if not best, movies about King Arthur. **

Formula 51 - Action - Samuel L Jackson goes to England...if you like Tarrentino (sp?) style movies (not quite the same but close) you will like this one. **

I am not sure if you can order mini-series from netflix but if you can...

Shogun - the full version not the 2-3 hour one.

Band of Brothers - Overall I think a better WWII movie/series than Saving Private Ryan. **

I am sure I will think of more after I get home.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
I'll second Shaun of the Dead (I haven't seen any of the others on Brain P's list).

I liked the following. Your mileage may vary.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

The Matador

The World's Fastest Indian

He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Great suggestions Brain!

Some of the ones on that list I have seen include:

Shaun of the Dead, which I absolutely love, but my wife can't stand.

I have Band of Brothers on DVD, which is terrific! I watch that over and over again.

By the way, you CAN get miniseries and tv shows on Netflix.

Thanks for the suggestions... keep em coming!

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ZeroClub;1266284 said:
I'll second Shaun of the Dead (I haven't seen any of the others on Brain P's list).

I liked the following. Your mileage may vary.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

The Matador

The World's Fastest Indian

He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

The Matador

Just watched those the last week or so, Had not even heard of them prior to that but I found them pretty good.

Couple of scenes in matador had me laughing.

phillycard

Reaction score
Freeway. I absolutely love that movie. Reese Witherspoon and Keifer Sutherland were excellent. A lil campy but excellent flick.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
the Riddick trilogy is good, cept dark furry is an animated movie wich was egh. at best.

The punisher- probably the second coolest comic book character second to Wolverine

Doom - doesn't follow the game but is still a good movie

Scarface- masterpiece :)

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the kid 05;1266572 said:
the Riddick trilogy is good, cept dark furry is an animated movie wich was egh. at best.

The punisher- probably the second coolest comic book character second to Wolverine

Doom - doesn't follow the game but is still a good movie

Scarface- masterpiece :)

There were two punisher movies made that I know of, the most recent one and back in the 80's or 90's they made one as well...That Guy that played Ivan Drago in the rocky movie played in it...his real name escapes me right now.

You liked Doom?
Seriously?

I thought it was terrible...just terrible.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Dolph Lundgren

lundgrensak1.jpg

Deputy493

Reaction score
Sideways, Garden State, Detroit Rock City, Walk the Line, Traffic, Blow, Jackie Brown, We Were Soldiers, Catch me if you can, Mystic River, Leaving Las Vegas, Clerks, Chasing Amy, Reservoir Dogs.........

just some of my favorites I think were underrated.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Deputy493;1266753 said:
Sideways, Garden State, Detroit Rock City, Walk the Line, Traffic, Blow, Jackie Brown, We Were Soldiers, Catch me if you can, Mystic River, Leaving Las Vegas, Clerks, Chasing Amy, Reservoir Dogs.........

I have Walk the Line right now and am waiting to watch it.

I've heard Mystic River is good, but I can't stand Sean Penn. Is it really good?

Deputy493

Reaction score
Danny White;1266821 said:
I have Walk the Line right now and am waiting to watch it.

I've heard Mystic River is good, but I can't stand Sean Penn. Is it really good?

I don't like him either, but I do think he is an excellent actor......Mystic River is really good, I thought......

jem88

Reaction score
Trees Lounge- An awesome movie directed by and starring Steve Buscemi and with a number of Sopranos cast members (I remember you being a fellow Sopranos pundit.)

Ghost World- Another Steve Buscemi flick (my favourite actor.)

Naked/All Or Nothing/Vera Drake/Secrets and Lies- Mike Leigh is an amazing director and all of these are great. Naked is the darkest and is my favourite.

Miller's Crossing- Not sure if it's underrated but doesn't get as much attention as other Coen brother flicks.

Wierd Science- The best comedy ever.

jem88

Reaction score
Deputy493;1266753 said:

I found Sideways, Traffic, and Mystic River to all be a bit overrated/disappointing.

I was very disappointed by Jackie Brown and Chasing Amy.

Clerks was great (but it was a long time ago that I saw it.)

I hated Catch Me If You Can.

Leaving Las Vegas was very good.

Reservoir Dogs is an all-time classic.

I haven't seen the others on your list.

Deputy493

Reaction score
jem88;1266836 said:
Wierd Science- The best comedy ever.

I liked it, but best comedy ever?

But you did remind me of another very funny John Hughes film that gets underrated and not nearly as known as some of his other films, but She's Having a Baby....a very funny movie with Kevin Bacon.....

a couple of other 80's comedies that many don't know about that are very funny are two John Cusak movies.....The Sure Thing and Better off Dead, both very funny.

Deputy493

Reaction score
jem88;1266847 said:
I found Sideways, Traffic, and Mystic River to all be a bit overrated/disappointing.

Wow, I found it just the opposite, I thought they were all underrated.

I was very disappointed by Jackie Brown and Chasing Amy.
Clerks was great (but it was a long time ago that I saw it.)

A lot of people get disappointed with Jackie Brown because they expect another Pulp Fiction, they are different, but I thought it was very good, with Samuel L. Jackson making the movie.......fyi, I think Pulp Fiction is one of the best movies ever.

As far as the Kevin Smith movies, I am suprised if you liked Clerks you did not like Chasing Amy........I actually thought Chasing Amy was Kevin Smith's best and funniest movie, and I did like Clerks alot as well.

I hated Catch Me If You Can.

really? It suprised me, I thought it was very good and Dicaprio did an outstanding acting job in it I thought.

To each his own I guess.......I mean Weird Science for instance I thought was a good clasic 80's flick, but nowhere near the top of my favorite comedies list.........not nearly as good as Animal House, Stripes, Caddyshack, Ferris Bueller's Day Off etc........

jem88

Reaction score
Deputy493;1266857 said:
I liked it, but best comedy ever?

But you did remind me of another very funny John Hughes film that gets underrated and not nearly as known as some of his other films, but She's Having a Baby....a very funny movie with Kevin Bacon.....

a couple of other 80's comedies that many don't know about that are very funny are two John Cusak movies.....The Sure Thing and Better off Dead, both very funny.
Yeah 'best ever' may have been overstating (The Naked Gun probably deserves that accolade) but I just die of laughing every time I see Chet. I can never take Bill Paxton seriously.

Deputy493

Reaction score
jem88;1267127 said:
Yeah 'best ever' may have been overstating (The Naked Gun probably deserves that accolade) but I just die of laughing every time I see Chet. I can never take Bill Paxton seriously.

Yeah, but he was even funny in Aliens.

Animal House tops my list of best comedies