Favorite Toy as a Kid

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That was part of why I asked. To determine whether or not it’s just me and maybe I’m just getting too old for the current games?

It’s more an issue of things being overly complex to the point where the pure enjoyment is lost.

I don’t care how good a game looks if it’s not fun to play.
Do you think you'd have as much fun playing the games you used to love? I bought a mini Classic Nintendo Arcade game a couple of years ago and played it twice. I guess it's hard to feel that exciting sense of nervousness from video games, after 47 years of driving a truck all day.:laugh:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you think you'd have as much fun playing the games you used to love? I bought a mini Classic Nintendo Arcade game a couple of years ago and played it twice. I guess it's hard to feel that exciting sense of nervousness from video games, after 47 years of driving a truck all day.:laugh:
I have a Raspberry Pi set up with thousands of the old games and I do enjoy going back and playing some of them.

nobody

Reaction score
Is it the games, or the player? Serious question...Is it actually the games, or are you just more easily bored?
That's a good question, and I think one possible answer for a lot of people (myself included) was that a lot of video game directors went the way of a lot of film makers. They doubled down on visual appeal and forgot that you actually need fun an interesting content to go with it.

Obviously that's not all of it, but it's part.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I don't know if I had a single favorite, had favs at different times growing up. The constants were bikes and sports toys, footballs, basketballs, glove and ball, frisbees, depending on the season. Green Army Men, GI Joe and Big Jim were favorites.
Evel Knievel was a fav.
FloweryYearlyAfricanporcupine-max-1mb.gif

Also AFX slot cars. Those were great, better than Tyco because you could modify them, we would rewind armatures, change out gears, they had different tire compounds, shave down chassises, bodies, pins etc. We had a pretty competitive neighborhood league. Had a bunch of cool bodies too, orange '55 chevy, '57 Chevy Nomad, a '69 Dodge Daytona with the big wing, Datsun 240z, had the black '56 Ford truck with the flamed hood and side stacks. My fastest was a '73 Dodge Charger, white with a black hood and blacked out wheels.
s-l300.jpg
220px-AFX_Slot_Car-Dodge_Charger_Daytona.png
AFX_57_Chevy_Nomad-Blue.png

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m curious to get your perspective. I’m finding that while the games look better and better, they’re losing more of the pure ‘fun factor’.
My opinion may not best as far as objectivity is concerned. I was never a huge gamer. The number of overall titles I have played were few and decreased in frequency as I have gotten older.

However, I think my favorite games have delivered more pure fun factor through the years. Thinking back and considering like Super Mario Bros for the 16-bit Nintendo, Mortal Kombat for XBox, Madden for PS1 and PS2, Sonic the Hedgehog for SEGA, Zelda and Rogue Squadron for Nintendo 64, Batman: Arkham Asylum for PS3, etc., I have been more and more wowed by the look and degree of gameplay as game consoles have evolved.

In fact, the only games I have played over the past five or six years has been Star Wars Battlefront I and II for PS4 and PS5. Shoot. I have logged about 4,300 hours between those two games alone. Fun? That would be an understatement for me, lol.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My opinion may not best as far as objectivity is concerned. I was never a huge gamer. The number of overall titles I have played were few and decreased in frequency as I have gotten older.

However, I think my favorite games have delivered more pure fun factor through the years. Thinking back and considering like Super Mario Bros for the 16-bit Nintendo, Mortal Kombat for XBox, Madden for PS1 and PS2, Sonic the Hedgehog for SEGA, Zelda and Rogue Squadron for Nintendo 64, Batman: Arkham Asylum for PS3, etc., I have been more and more wowed by the look and degree of gameplay as game consoles have evolved.

In fact, the only games I have played over the past five or six years has been Star Wars Battlefront I and II for PS4 and PS5. Shoot. I have logged about 4,300 hours between those two games alone. Fun? That would be an understatement for me, lol.
Your tastes in games very much align with my own. I LOVED the Star Wars Battlefront games. And the prior versions as well. I’m still bummed they cancelled part III back in the day.

I also love the Red Dead and GTA series. Those games will probably get me to finally buy a PS5.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your tastes in games very much align with my own. I LOVED the Star Wars Battlefront games. And the prior versions as well. I’m still bummed they cancelled part III back in the day.

I also love the Red Dead and GTA series. Those games will probably get me to finally buy a PS5.
I have previewed Grand Theft Auto on PS5. It looks great!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is there a link to that?
Brain fart. I lied. Re-checked my PS5 but did not see it in my library. Then I remembered my son had shown me Saints Row on his Xbox LAST year. Got them confused. My bad. :( When does the next GTA come out?

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I was a huge Transformers fan. Had quite the collection. I also absolutely loved Thundercats. Had several of the action figures. Also, as with others in this thread, was big into Hot Wheels. I still have a small collection to this day.

Once I got "too old" for toys, I was heavy into BMXing. Had a great Mongoose BMX (though I didn't have the popular mags on mine) that I loved. Put some miles on that bike!