Favourite Band

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
silverbear said:
I just bought Clapton's collection of Robert Johnson blues songs, titled "Me & Mr. Johnson"... I found it disappointing, largely because Clapton can't sing the blues...

The guitar work was as good as I expected it would be...

Now to the subject of my favorite groups... the key word here being "groups"...

Start with the Eagles, who show us what rock and roll can be when it grows up... when they put out their "Hell Freezes Over" album, their new songs stood up to their classic hits just fine...

Loggins & Messina was a really good rock band, in their concerts their musical jams sometimes turned into mini-symphonies... I mean, 5 to 10 minute jams... I learned to fingerpick at a Loggins & Messina concert at the Capital Center, just outside of DC...

Little Feat, before Lowell George died, was always a favorite of mine... that guy was just a brilliant slide guitarist...

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band was always underrated... yeah, I know they're kinda country, but they went through a phase where they called themselves the Dirt Band, and were more rock... in fact, they were the first "rock" band to tour Russia... the Russians wanted them to bring over a girl singer, so they went out and enlisted a pretty fair choice, Stevie Nicks...

Anybody else old enough to remember the Grass Roots?? I always liked them, too...

Don Henley is from where I live... we see him from time to time and he did a concert here not too long ago (very tiny area)...

I agree with you on The Dirt Band (as they are now called)... they did LOTS of good music... Little Feat never was the same after Lowell...

I do remember the Grass Roots... you can also throw in Blue Cheer from that era... Poco too...

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Many too many from the 70's thru 90's to mention, tho U2 still ranks big with me.

Of the newer bands my favorite is Linkin Park - love the rock-rap mix in general - just got the new CD with Jay-Z on it. Of the new rap (ok it's not Guru, I admit) I love DMX (inlcuding on the big screen)and to a lesser extent Ja Rule - those two have the sexist voices known to womankind.

In addition to rap I am really into alt rock these days - like Evanescense a lot..Incubus, ColdPlay, Tantric...after I got over the fact that all the front men wanted to sound like Cobain (and didn't they all want to sound like Robert Plant 20 years back)...also like technopop and house music.

Love that top 40 song Wonderful with Ja Rule rapping and R Kelly crooning...but Linkin Park, commericial as they are, is at my current top - gotta have some electric guitar with my rap. Dr Dre still high on my list.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LaTunaNostra said:
Many too many from the 70's thru 90's to mention, tho U2 still ranks big with me.

Of the newer bands my favorite is Linkin Park - love the rock-rap mix in general - just got the new CD with Jay-Z on it. Of the new rap (ok it's not Guru, I admit) I love DMX (inlcuding on the big screen)and to a lesser extent Ja Rule - those two have the sexist voices known to womankind.

In addition to rap I am really into alt rock these days - like Evanescense a lot..Incubus, ColdPlay, Tantric...after I got over the fact that all the front men wanted to sound like Cobain (and didn't they all want to sound like Robert Plant 20 years back)...also like technopop and house music.

Love that top 40 song Wonderful with Ja Rule rapping and R Kelly crooning...but Linkin Park, commericial as they are, is at my current top - gotta have some electric guitar with my rap. Dr Dre still high on my list.

I can not get into the new rappers....just sounds like second hand, been there done that, waste of my time music.

Loved PE, Ice Cube, 2Pac and still think Dr Dre's Chronic was a great one.

But this new crap..JaRule, Lil John and others...just the same rehashed stuff to me. :eek:

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:

You just added two that I absolutely love and forgot to list... Evanescense and ColdPlay. I love the Fallen album and my fav on it is My Immortal. As for ColdPlay.. Yellow, Clocks, In My Place, Why does it always rain on me, etc.. Love the arrangements in them, especially the piano in Clocks. Have you ever listened to the Acoustic versions of Shiver, Trouble or Yellow? Pretty awesome stuff.

SoTex

Giddy Up
Reaction score
Any talented symphony orchestra playing Mozart or Bach. I also like Junior Brown, George Strait, Sinatra, Harry Connick Jr, Bob Wills, Ernest Tubb.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I can not get into the new rappers....just sounds like second hand, been there done that, waste of my time music.

Loved PE, Ice Cube, 2Pac and still think Dr Dre's Chronic was a great one.

But this new crap..JaRule, Lil John and others...just the same rehashed stuff to me. :eek:
A lot of it is junk now - but there is still a lot of creativity going on in the blending of genres, not just rap with rock but rap with R & B. If a good rapper gets Usher or Alicia Keys on a track, I will probably be listening. And tho it's well beyondthe days when the top rappers were true poets/social critics, and the urban angst is now white breaded to top 40 blandom, I stay hooked thru the riffs and mixing.

The one who needs to retire is Snoop. :D

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
CowboysPrincess said:
You just added two that I absolutely love and forgot to list... Evanescense and ColdPlay. I love the Fallen album and my fav on it is My Immortal. As for ColdPlay.. Yellow, Clocks, In My Place, Why does it always rain on me, etc.. Love the arrangements in them, especially the piano in Clocks. Have you ever listened to the Acoustic versions of Shiver, Trouble or Yellow? Pretty awesome stuff.
I love Clocks....would love to have a dvd of the TG plays I've taped
set to that tune.

Fallen....a terrific album!

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
A lot of it is junk now - but there is still a lot of creativity going on in the blending of genres, not just rap with rock but rap with R & B. If a good rapper gets Usher or Alicia Keys on a track, I will probably be listening. And tho it's well beyondthe days when the top rappers were true poets/social critics, and the urban angst is now white breaded to top 40 blandom, I stay hooked thru the riffs and mixing.

The one who needs to retire is Snoop. :D
Since Puffy came on the scene to me rap has lost it creativity. They just take any old song and rap over it. I miss the days of Eric B and Rakim, PE and Snoop when he first came out.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Since Puffy came on the scene to me rap has lost it creativity. They just take any old song and rap over it. I miss the days of Eric B and Rakim, PE and Snoop when he first came out.
Rap might be at the stage where some young Turks come along and set it back on OG course like the Sex Pistols, Clash, et al did in the late 70's when they accused the 'old' rock bands like the Stones and Who of being 'dinosaurs', over-commercialized, bourgois, whatever.

Not that the Johnny Rotten or Ramones succeeded in staving off what happened with rock - the Golden Age was over, and what was left of the energy got siphoned off by Grunge and alt rock..a natural progression, I suppose.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Why get Clapton doing Robert Johnsons songs?

Because Clapton has always said that Robert Johnson was one of his strongest influences musically, and I've always liked Clapton's guitar work... even back when I was a teenaged folkie, I liked Cream...

Just go get the Robert Johnson Box set.

I really, really like box sets, I have 3 of them-- Jimmy Buffett's, Springsteen's, and Dan Fogelburg's... but if I was gonna get a box set of Delta blues musicians, I think I'd want an anthology of any number of them... for example, I've always liked Huddie Ledbetter...

I also really, really like the old Billie Holliday records... I thought Diana Ross did a superb job playing Lady Day some years back, in the movie "Lady Sings the Blues"... even her voice evoked images of the real Billie...

I have it, I like the music because he was so ahead of his time and just flat amazing to hear a guy play like that for that time period.

One of my favorite guitarists is the ever-obscure Ry Cooder... that boy can play some blues guitar...

jamez25

Reaction score
jem88 said:
Don't know if you guys get the show down there, but you should definately check out 'Trailer Park Boys'. Alex Lifeson was on the show last season.
I LOVE the TPB's http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v19/jamez/tpb2.jpg
favorite band is Bob Marley and the Wailers.

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
I'd have to say Alice In Chains by far. Although i'm from Texas and love George Strait... I also like Staind and Sublime. Staind, Sublime and Alice in Chains are my favorite bands.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jem88 said:
Ok it's kind of a weird question, but since we're all fellow Cowboys fans, I'm interested in knowing, what is your favourite band? What music do you 'Cowboys' listen to? Up here in Canada, it's all about Neil Young, The Who, Pink Floyd and The Beatles for me. Got Yo La Tengo playing at the moment. Good stuff.
Pink Floyd

Led Zeppelin

Van Halen

Rush

Aerosmith

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Pink Floyd

Led Zeppelin

Van Halen

Rush

Aerosmith
All hail hos! You are more cool than I thought you were! Now I don't have a problem being seen talking to you....

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
One of the greats......R.I.P Layne
layne.jpg

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
silverbear said:
Because Clapton has always said that Robert Johnson was one of his strongest influences musically, and I've always liked Clapton's guitar work... even back when I was a teenaged folkie, I liked Cream...

Well some think I am crazy as I am not as big on clapton as many...I think I liked him best when he was with cream but I am not a clapton junkie...actually the only clapton I own is the cream stuff....which is even odder as I play guitar.

I really, really like box sets, I have 3 of them-- Jimmy Buffett's, Springsteen's, and Dan Fogelburg's... but if I was gonna get a box set of Delta blues musicians, I think I'd want an anthology of any number of them... for example, I've always liked Huddie Ledbetter...

Ugghh...I don't like any of those guys...yes I know everyone should love Buffett and Springsteen and follow the crowd...what can I say I just don't care for those guys.

Oh if you want to get a decent sampling of some blues check out the Alligator 20th and 25th anniversary double CDs...good mix of stuff.

I also really, really like the old Billie Holliday records... I thought Diana Ross did a superb job playing Lady Day some years back, in the movie "Lady Sings the Blues"... even her voice evoked images of the real Billie...

Yes I like billie holliday...you know there is something about her voice I just do not know what it is.
I mean honestly it is not a voice that is just the best....I would even be so bold as to say that Patsy Cline's voice is a hell of a lot better (and I am FAR from a country fan)....but Billie's voice is just special for some reason.

One of my favorite guitarists is the ever-obscure Ry Cooder... that boy can play some blues guitar...

I like Ry Cooder...funny enough I never even heard him prior to the Crossroads movie (a good movie for blues lovers about the legend of Robert Johnson...starring machio and joe seneca).
Yes Ry is indeed a very good player.

But when I want to listen to blues I always like to listen to Muddy Water and John Lee Hooker....just love their stuff.

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
I'm disgusted by the lack of props dished out to Wilson Phillips in this thread . . .