Favourite gaming platforms

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For PC games, I like GOG.com because their games are DRM-free, which means I can run them with or without internet access on as many devices as I want. The downside to GOG is they do not have a lot of current or recently popular games, but for older and indie games, they are amazing. Most importantly though with old games, they fix and/or modify them to work with modern hardware and Windows operating systems.

I typically avoid buying games on Steam unless I have no choice because I do not want to have to deal with offline mode or even having to run Steam every time I want to play a game.

I am not much of a console player but if I was I would probably use and like any of the featured console platform services from that console's parent company.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Currently have over 227 games on Steam. Around 15 or so on GOG mainly titles that were on sale or not available on Steam. Once i started PC gaming the consoles took a backseat.

I'm currently using my laptop for a lot of games, but I plan to get a gaming computer in the Spring so I can game and make better YouTube content.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
All of the other components are priced pretty fairly square dealing, RAM is a little on the high side, but like i mentioned GPU prices are insane. Even a couple generations old line of video cards are quite expensive. My 1070 i bought 6 years ago for 430 is now around 900 on Newegg. Ouch.....

SlammedZero

Reaction score
For PC games, I like GOG.com because their games are DRM-free, which means I can run them with or without internet access on as many devices as I want. The downside to GOG is they do not have a lot of current or recently popular games, but for older and indie games, they are amazing. Most importantly though with old games, they fix and/or modify them to work with modern hardware and Windows operating systems.

I typically avoid buying games on Steam unless I have no choice because I do not want to have to deal with offline mode or even having to run Steam every time I want to play a game.

I am not much of a console player but if I was I would probably use and like any of the featured console platform services from that console's parent company.
GOG is the reason I can still play Simcity 2000/3000/4 on Windows 10. :D

Hardline

Reaction score
I prefer playing games on my PC. But I can only play the older games until I seriously do a major upgrade.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I don’t think the Commodore 64 had enough computing power for what he wanted to do.

That was my jam way back when! I had some friends who hooked me up with TONS of free games, some YEARS before actual release.

Then my brother and I had a friend that worked for KB Toys and had a 60% off employee discount so we were able to load up on PlayStation 2 games.

Good times…

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
That was my jam way back when! I had some friends who hooked me up with TONS of free games, some YEARS before actual release.

Then my brother and I had a friend that worked for KB Toys and had a 60% off employee discount so we were able to load up on PlayStation 2 games.

Good times…
Wow, 60% discount is huge.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow, 60% discount is huge.

Oh yeah. And my brother and I would then split those costs. I remember several release days where we would get three of the hottest games out there for the cost of about $15-$20 for each of us. Good times.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I spent an untold amount of time in my late teens/early 20s playing Madden on PlayStation with friends. This was before I really had a meaningful career. It was not uncommon for my buddy and I to play Madden from like 6-7p to 4-5a the next morning.

I remember one time walking to my car in the morning thinking what a colossal waste of time it was. I swore off owning game console until I had a “real” job. I ended up starting my career but never ended up buying a gaming console. Now I’ve got two little ones and already swore to never have one in my house. One of my biggest fears as a parent is for my son or daughter become one of these kids that sits in their bedroom all day playing video games. I figure they’ll get enough exposure playing at friends houses but at least they’ll be cut off at home.