FCC says Commanders name not offensive

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The Federal Communications Commission dismissed a petition Thursday to deny renewal of WWXX-FM's broadcast license because it's the flagship radio station of the NFL's Washington Commanders, whose name has come under fire by some who see it as a derogatory term for Native Americans.
The petition claimed repeated use of the word "Commanders" violates rules against indecent content.
But the FCC said that the law defines profanity as sexual or excretory in nature — meanings that don't relate to the name of the football team.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/12/19/fcc-says-Commanders-name-not-offensive/

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
The Federal Communications Commission dismissed a petition Thursday to deny renewal of WWXX-FM's broadcast license because it's the flagship radio station of the NFL's Washington Commanders, whose name has come under fire by some who see it as a derogatory term for Native Americans.
The petition claimed repeated use of the word "Commanders" violates rules against indecent content.
But the FCC said that the law defines profanity as sexual or excretory in nature — meanings that don't relate to the name of the football team.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/12/19/fcc-says-Commanders-name-not-offensive/

You could paint thus so many ways..

Commanders being used could be a tribute or homage to Indians

If you look it up. An Indian labeled themselves Commander so not to be confused with whiteskin

Really, it's only popular to jump in to something ... Something that is believed to be an important cause or topic. When in fact it really isn't.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Regardless of how you feel on the topic, the title of the fox news article is misleading. The petition was to deny WWXX-FMs license on the grounds that the term in question is INDECENT not offensive. So by denying the petition, the FCC said that the term in not indecent, which I think based on their definition, everyone would agree. Unless there is more to this, the FCC did not in any way say the term was not offensive, as the title would indicate.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I just hope Danny Boy fights this to the very end; I hate PC garbage like this. With all the troubles American Indians have the publicity this gets is obscene

Szczepanik

Reaction score
Regardless of how you feel on the topic, the title of the fox news article is misleading. The petition was to deny WWXX-FMs license on the grounds that the term in question is INDECENT not offensive. So by denying the petition, the FCC said that the term in not indecent, which I think based on their definition, everyone would agree. Unless there is more to this, the FCC did not in any way say the term was not offensive, as the title would indicate.

Isn't fox news always misleading? :rolleyes: