CFZ Fe, Fi, FO, Fum, methinks the FO is not dumb

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First off, I am as critical of the owner and his son as anyone because I just flat do not like them but some of the criticism thrown their way is overdone.

He is not the worst GM, by far, in the NFL, either now or as long as he's been doing it. The 26 years of wandering in the wilderness makes him an easy target.

I see blame for Elliott's contract and for Schultz's but is the blame for Schultz's balanced by praise for picking Ferguson and Hendershot for better options in this off season?

The blame for Prescott's is overblown because the crime was not giving themselves any options but the draft and what would a trade up in picks cost and was that worth the risk? They did what they had to do and the criticism for not doing the deal earlier ignores the fact they tried to do that. Most likely at the value they placed on him and not what the market dictated.

So, they sit at 6-2, with a backup QB steering most of those but where is the credit for Cooper Rush?

Here is what I am thinking is happening to too many of you. You are letting the past throw shade on your sunshine of this season. You just can't let it go.

Let those 26 years go and relish this season that is right now. They have the best defense in the last 27 years and a run game they seem content to lean on. This is a good team.

Yes, they could lose in the wild card round and keep that string going but why worry about that now? That's 10 games away and a lot is going to happen between then and now. So, forget then and embrace now.

Don't you really want to be happy being a fan? Or have we become happy blaming the FO for everything to the point that we do not see all of the positive moves they've made? Are we too happy being critical?

Believe me, it is not fun for me to give them credit but there is not any analyst that would have given them a chance at 6-2 when Prescott went down. I know, I heard them all.

So far in the 2022 season, this FO has done a great job and better than anyone here would have predicted. We are so busy criticizing them, the good things slip by us. And there are some really good things.

ESisback

Reaction score
First off, I am as critical of the owner and his son as anyone because I just flat do not like them but some of the criticism thrown their way is overdone.

He is not the worst GM, by far, in the NFL, either now or as long as he's been doing it. The 26 years of wandering in the wilderness makes him an easy target.

I see blame for Elliott's contract and for Schultz's but is the blame for Schultz's balanced by praise for picking Ferguson and Hendershot for better options in this off season?

The blame for Prescott's is overblown because the crime was not giving themselves any options but the draft and what would a trade up in picks cost and was that worth the risk? They did what they had to do and the criticism for not doing the deal earlier ignores the fact they tried to do that. Most likely at the value they placed on him and not what the market dictated.

So, they sit at 6-2, with a backup QB steering most of those but where is the credit for Cooper Rush?

Here is what I am thinking is happening to too many of you. You are letting the past throw shade on your sunshine of this season. You just can't let it go.

Let those 26 years go and relish this season that is right now. They have the best defense in the last 27 years and a run game they seem content to lean on. This is a good team.

Yes, they could lose in the wild card round and keep that string going but why worry about that now? That's 10 games away and a lot is going to happen between then and now. So, forget then and embrace now.

Don't you really want to be happy being a fan? Or have we become happy blaming the FO for everything to the point that we do not see all of the positive moves they've made? Are we too happy being critical?

Believe me, it is not fun for me to give them credit but there is not any analyst that would have given them a chance at 6-2 when Prescott went down. I know, I heard them all.

So far in the 2022 season, this FO has done a great job and better than anyone here would have predicted. We are so busy criticizing them, the good things slip by us. And there are some really good things.

I agree, but don’t expect much traffic here. A fewer scoffers, followed by a couple of “shut up, haters”, maybe one or two “Dak sucks” thrown in…

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Spot on, CC ol' buddy!

You are absolutely correct. We should be embracing the hard earned 6-2 record that no one expected under circumstances and be glad we have a very good offense, defense and special teams. This team is gelling, playing good team football and getting better at the right time (halfway point) coming off their bye week. Can't wait for the second half of this season!

:starspin:GO COWBOYS!!!:starspin:

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score

I'm not reading the post, just gonna be the first to post 27 years... ;):laugh:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, but don’t expect much traffic here. A fewer scoffers, followed by a couple of “shut up, haters”, maybe one or two “Dak sucks” thrown in…
That's OK, I spoke my piece as I've been known to do from time to time.

I would hope some would take into consideration that I dislike the Joneses probably more than anyone on this site. If I can give them a break, anyone should be able to.

Besides that, everyone should try and grab all the happiness they can when it is so available.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score

Just read it and I'm feeling ya buddy - we do need to live in the moment more and I'll leave it at that.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
LOL, sorry but the part about letting the past 26 years clouding our judgment of Jerry's expertise as a GM is somewhat laughable. I'm trying to think of a GM who has gone that long without getting to even an NFCCG without getting canned like Albacore tuna... Even Jerry himself has canned coaches after only three or four years and went up to ten years with his adopted son Jason. All not able to win consistently and to top it off, under his GM watch. And yes, even the worst GMs in the league also make some great signings once in a while, not everything turns to crap. But that is not enough to save their jobs.

Hopefully, its the blind pig finding a corn, or is it the blind squirrel finding a acorn thing? ...well, let's hope they finally win something IN SPITE of Beavis and Butthead's "expertise".... we are so blessed with their knowledge and knowhow. Hope to attend the Cowboys SB parade in our lifetime.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

wait.....uhm, what? I had to click on your name to make sure this was not a new account, an imposter. lol

I can not agree with everything you said more. ENJOY the damn season! We wait for months for the NFL season to begin, our team is clearly in the top4 of the entire NFL and the ONLY reason I rank Buffalo and the Chiefs above is is not their coach, not their GM, not their defense, not their run game, not their WRs..... we all know why. Put their QB on our team and we are immediately ranked 1 in the NFL.

Schutz. Right or wrong to tag him is not a big deal to me. They know how important Schultz has been to Dak and when they tagged him, we had nobody to take his place with guaranteed results. They now have 2 guys behind Schultz that makes it appear to me that Schultz wont be back next year. So did tagging him this year somehow hurt us? That money used on Schultz didnt cost us much and it gone next year when they need to deal with Diggs.

We went nuts when he let Collins go...... and yet Collins has sucked for the Bengals, his contract is gone and we replaced him for CHEAP with a much better player.

The most important thing you said though, at least for me, is ENJOY the season. Unlike some on this board, I was head coach l at a very high level of the sport I coached. We won some huge games and we lost some huge games. I had to deal with girls that were devastated ..... and even myself, for the only time in my life was actually depressed after BLOWING it at Nationals.... but I learned a valuable lesson and I preached it for the rest of my coaching career whenever we lost. The games can not only be fun when you win.
Its the emotions that the sport brings out in us that makes us love it so much..... and even those heartbreaking losses still bring out those same emotions.

Im 52 years old and Ive lost too many friends over the lost 10 years to get caught up in the whining. I am enjoying this season for all its' worth and if we win the SB this year, the next day my life will go on as normal.
If we lose in the playoffs, the next day my life will go on as normal.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

It is a confluence of things that drive me crazy.
1. A lot of this fan base chose the Cowboys because they were champions. They jumped on a bandwagon and are now mad because this team is merely pretty good and never great,
2. Hot take artists shoot out emotional takes to drive interactions. Vitriol sells.
3. Trolls tap in to drive to the most insane version of everything just for kicks.

The front office moves haven't been that hard to understand or even that bad.
1. Zeke was smart and he held out while he had power. Deal was no-where near as bad as pretended given he has actually held up very well by RB standards. If Dallas cuts Zeke int he off-season the deal was 4 years 50M. WILD crying over 12.5M per year.
2. Dak handing was criminal, but they wanted to avoid being Carson Wentz'd or Jared Goff'd.
3. Amari trade was pretty neutral. He isn't worth 20M a year and has less explosion or upside to CeeDee but he is really good all the same. Both things can be true.
4. Teams win negotiations with rookies every day, but veterans are going to get that lick back. You pretty much must overpay vets 90% of the time. Recognizing that can both make you cheap and also make you a better roster builder.
5. If you go all-in and do not win it all you get zero refunds in terms of cap space nor draft collateral. You just make future years harder for what?

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Yeah let's trade a 2nd for a WR, CB, LB or DT. Really, like WR's Antonio Brown and OBJ aren't available or James Washington and Tolbert don't exist. Like CB's Kevin King and Ross Cockrell aren't available or Kelvin Joseph and Nahshon Wright don't exist. Like LB Damone Clark wasn't just activated. Like DT's Suh and Linval Joseph aren't available.

Yeah let's throw away a 2nd so we can miss out on drafting OG Andrew Vorhees.

With Dak's 49 million next year and Tank's 26 million, we can use all the draft picks we can get our hands on. As well as all the cap that can roll over to next year.

If you add all of that together...I'm glad we sat pat.

blueblood70

Reaction score

:thumbup: right and still some of those same fans want MM fired for the same type of reason they don't like the FO. they already have him gone lol picking his replacements.

its a mystery on how you want a HC fired who lost his qb and a majority of starters in 2020 and still went i believe 3-1 to finish the season, which then carried over into a 12-5 playoff birth in 21 in which they shut out the division 6-0 with a 6-0 win streak, which then carries over into what could have been another 2020 season where fans stated all is lost, media gave them zero chance of a successful season and here we are at 6-2..

odd these fans just make lists of narratives and won't let them go.

they can't live in the moment and allow themselves to feel good about the season.

I get it , dont feel too good or overconfident or set yourself up for big letdown but come on fans, we had a successful season and followed up by a great start to the next season, when's the last times that happened.

so I'm no math genius but ending 2020 3-1, 12-5 2021, 6-2 this season, that seems like we are building something here.:popcorn:

:flagwave:

Last edited:

CWR

Reaction score

I started a thread with this earlier and someone decided to delete it with zero explanation as to why. So I guess big brother may need to delete this as well? Maybe the mod will be courteous enough to educate me this time. Otherwise, ENJOY THE HYPE!!!

NeathBlue

Reaction score
You’re right when you say the front office is not dumb, and that we haven’t got the worst GM in the league…
Problem is though is that our GM is far from being the best and our front office is behind quite a few others… and in quarter of a century that’s always been the case.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I figure I’m already a fool either way and there isn’t much I can do about it.

It won’t make me feel any better to be able to be on the ‘I told you so’ bus when the results are the same so I may as well try to enjoy the ride and hope for miracles.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
:thumbup: right and still some of those same fans want MM fired for the same type of reason they don't like the FO. they already have him gone lol picking his replacements.

its a mystery on how you want a HC fired who lost his qb and a majority of starters in 2020 and still went i believe 3-1 to finish the season, which then carried over into a 12-5 playoff birth in 21 in which they shut out the division 6-0 with a 6-0 win streak, which then carries over into what could have been another 2020 season where fans stated all is lost, media gave them zero chance of a successful season and here we are at 6-2..

odd these fans just make lists of narratives and won't let them go.

they can't live in the moment and allow themselves to feel good about the season.

I get it , dont feel too good or overconfident or set yourself up for big letdown but come on fans, we had a successful season and followed up by a great start to the next season, when's the last times that happened.

so I'm no math genius but ending 2020 3-1, 12-5 2021, 6-2 this season, that seems like we are building something here.:popcorn:

:flagwave:
But he messed up clock management a couple of times! No other coaches make that mistake ever!

HoplessCowboysFan36

Reaction score
I have to admit, I was super upset at how the off season went. I felt like we was trying to open up cap space for the next coach, how this team is playing is awesome. Defense swarms to the football, offense hopefully keeps improving and playing mistake free football. I like how this team is playing right now! For some reason it feels different this go around. Either way lets enjoy football before its gone again!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm not reading the post, just gonna be the first to post 27 years... ;):laugh:
It's not really 27 years...Stephen Jones now runs football operations...He's only been in control since he pushed Garrett out the door.

Obviously Jerry will always be 1st in line when there is a microphone or camera involved...

It started in 2014 when Stephen Jones made the push to promote McClay to the top talent acquisition job.

Jerry would never have let anyone else cut Dez.

Jerry would have kept Garrett.

Jerry would not have cut Jaylon.

Jerry would have given in to any contract demands from Randy Gregory.

Jerry's last big influence was the big contract for Zeke. Stephen Jones was going to call Zeke's bluff on the holdout.

The Stephen Jones plan has had good results.

SJ hired McCarthy in 2020 and had limited available options to hire a D-Coordinator. They didn't hire Nolan until about 2 weeks after McCarthy because they tried to hire someone else.

Note: Stephen and McClay wanted to hire Dan Quinn back in 2013. Quinn had been at the University of Florida in 2011 & 2012.

Results of the Stephen Jones plan:
2020: Dak injured and Nolan fails.
2021: Fired Nolan, hired Quinn. Made the playoffs.
2022: 6-2 and the best defense in a long time.