CFZ Fe, Fi, FO, Fum, methinks the FO is not dumb

75boyz

Reaction score
The FO should be pleased with the current team. They may be the 7th or 8th best team in the NFL

They are so certain about it that although the top 6 teams added big time talent via trades, that they still stood pat, with the exception of the Hankerson aquisition.

I know right. I don't think that Acho knows any more than most other talking heads but I agreed with him in that all the other top contending teams made at least one move in order for their team to get better.
I mean, unless Hankins is considered that move. Which for me personally, wasn't enough.

jmo

kskboys

Reaction score
Is that because the Do has been relying on the DCs to know what was needed? Is that why they now went out and brought Hankins in... because we have a DC who knows his stuff?
I do believe that is a big part of it.

There have been several big men available the last few years in FA, draft, and/or trade, and not once have we even tried to get a good one. This is the first time.

Don't get me wrong, that is still on the FO, as they are responsible for hiring the coach. I'm of the ilk that Jerry gets full credit for the 90's teams, but also gets full credit for the 27 years of wheel spinning following that. The FO is responsible for hiring the coaches, period.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You have now violated rule # 1. You will be banned from this thread, benched, and you will get the scary red rule violation warning post put in this thread. Shut your mouth boy, read the rules, and think about what you did
:muttley::facepalm::laugh:

kskboys

Reaction score
I know right. I don't think that Acho knows any more than most other talking heads but I agreed with him in that all the other top contending teams made at least one move in order for their team to get better.
I mean, unless Hankins is considered that move. Which for me personally, wasn't enough.

jmo
It was a huge move and the only one that made any sense.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I do believe that is a big part of it.

There have been several big men available the last few years in FA, draft, and/or trade, and not once have we even tried to get a good one. This is the first time.

Don't get me wrong, that is still on the FO, as they are responsible for hiring the coach. I'm of the ilk that Jerry gets full credit for the 90's teams, but also gets full credit for the 27 years of wheel spinning following that. The FO is responsible for hiring the coaches, period.
True, but there are only so many available. How many great defenses have there been in that time? We all thought Ryan was going to give us a great defense, but this one blows his away...granted, #11 is a big part of that, but even with him the run defense was bad, and mostly up the middle, until this week, if I'm not mistaken.

kskboys

Reaction score
then why dont the other31 teams do what is so blatantly obvious to you every year. I mean, if it is so easy, why arent there so many great teams playing right now? Reality is there are 5 to 6 good teams right now and w hole bunch of avg and garbage teams..... but that makes no sense, since it is so easy to see what is needed to build a SB caliber team.
It is easy to see. Doing so, however, is much harder. Player evaluation is very very tough, which is why you need football men in charge. There are very few who can evaluate both players and teams successfully. That is the hard part.

There are always 5-6 good teams that stand out. The trick is to make the right moves to get into contention. That is where we have failed miserably, and wasted many many resources on very stupid moves. Those stupid moves point directly to the fact that our FO does not understand NFL football at a high enough level to build a super bowl contender.

Lucky we have MM now, who at the very least has a clue.

kskboys

Reaction score
True, but there are only so many available. How many great defenses have there been in that time? We all thought Ryan was going to give us a great defense, but this one blows his away...granted, #11 is a big part of that, but even with him the run defense was bad, and mostly up the middle, until this week, if I'm not mistaken.
I didn't.

We quite simply never had the requisite parts. We'd get close, only to lose our edge due to Jerry making horrific moves. The 09 draft and the MO tradeup stand out, as well as the myriad of wasted 2nd round picks. Ware was a top 5 all time pass rusher, and Jerry wasted his career by not building around him, instead depending on him to make a bad to average D into a decent one.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Not true. Esco lacked separation skills. They tried to use him, and he could not get open. This was in his scouting report, and that's exactly what happened.

Witten's snaps should have been reduced at that time no doubt. However, Esco was quite simply not good enough to play in the NFL. And that's how it played out after he left here.

You are wrong on that. I am not saying escobar would have taken over the league, but the weirdest thing I have seen since I have been watching the cowboys is what happened with the TE's while jason witten was here. Bennett was the best blocking TE in the league by a long shot during a time when we were running the ball, he had a huge wingspan, was tall, and somehow Romo could not get the ball to him in his catch radius, while he could hit beasley and other receivers with ease.

You can make the claim that Escobar and Bennett did not do much after the cowboys, but my claim is the cowboys ruined them, and it was a weird situation with romo, witten, and garrett. If you watch the highlights of some of the things escobar did, he was a weapon, that didnt get used.

Praxit

Reaction score
SilverFluffyIrishsetter.webp

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First off, I am as critical of the owner and his son as anyone because I just flat do not like them but some of the criticism thrown their way is overdone.

He is not the worst GM, by far, in the NFL, either now or as long as he's been doing it. The 26 years of wandering in the wilderness makes him an easy target.

I see blame for Elliott's contract and for Schultz's but is the blame for Schultz's balanced by praise for picking Ferguson and Hendershot for better options in this off season?

The blame for Prescott's is overblown because the crime was not giving themselves any options but the draft and what would a trade up in picks cost and was that worth the risk? They did what they had to do and the criticism for not doing the deal earlier ignores the fact they tried to do that. Most likely at the value they placed on him and not what the market dictated.

So, they sit at 6-2, with a backup QB steering most of those but where is the credit for Cooper Rush?

Here is what I am thinking is happening to too many of you. You are letting the past throw shade on your sunshine of this season. You just can't let it go.

Let those 26 years go and relish this season that is right now. They have the best defense in the last 27 years and a run game they seem content to lean on. This is a good team.

Yes, they could lose in the wild card round and keep that string going but why worry about that now? That's 10 games away and a lot is going to happen between then and now. So, forget then and embrace now.

Don't you really want to be happy being a fan? Or have we become happy blaming the FO for everything to the point that we do not see all of the positive moves they've made? Are we too happy being critical?

Believe me, it is not fun for me to give them credit but there is not any analyst that would have given them a chance at 6-2 when Prescott went down. I know, I heard them all.

So far in the 2022 season, this FO has done a great job and better than anyone here would have predicted. We are so busy criticizing them, the good things slip by us. And there are some really good things.
Great post. Half way through the season, and this team has already exceeded where I thought they would be.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
First off, I am as critical of the owner and his son as anyone because I just flat do not like them but some of the criticism thrown their way is overdone.

He is not the worst GM, by far, in the NFL, either now or as long as he's been doing it. The 26 years of wandering in the wilderness makes him an easy target.

I see blame for Elliott's contract and for Schultz's but is the blame for Schultz's balanced by praise for picking Ferguson and Hendershot for better options in this off season?

The blame for Prescott's is overblown because the crime was not giving themselves any options but the draft and what would a trade up in picks cost and was that worth the risk? They did what they had to do and the criticism for not doing the deal earlier ignores the fact they tried to do that. Most likely at the value they placed on him and not what the market dictated.

So, they sit at 6-2, with a backup QB steering most of those but where is the credit for Cooper Rush?

Here is what I am thinking is happening to too many of you. You are letting the past throw shade on your sunshine of this season. You just can't let it go.

Let those 26 years go and relish this season that is right now. They have the best defense in the last 27 years and a run game they seem content to lean on. This is a good team.

Yes, they could lose in the wild card round and keep that string going but why worry about that now? That's 10 games away and a lot is going to happen between then and now. So, forget then and embrace now.

Don't you really want to be happy being a fan? Or have we become happy blaming the FO for everything to the point that we do not see all of the positive moves they've made? Are we too happy being critical?

Believe me, it is not fun for me to give them credit but there is not any analyst that would have given them a chance at 6-2 when Prescott went down. I know, I heard them all.

So far in the 2022 season, this FO has done a great job and better than anyone here would have predicted. We are so busy criticizing them, the good things slip by us. And there are some really good things.

kskboys

Reaction score

You are wrong on that. I am not saying escobar would have taken over the league, but the weirdest thing I have seen since I have been watching the cowboys is what happened with the TE's while jason witten was here. Bennett was the best blocking TE in the league by a long shot during a time when we were running the ball, he had a huge wingspan, was tall, and somehow Romo could not get the ball to him in his catch radius, while he could hit beasley and other receivers with ease.

You can make the claim that Escobar and Bennett did not do much after the cowboys, but my claim is the cowboys ruined them, and it was a weird situation with romo, witten, and garrett. If you watch the highlights of some of the things escobar did, he was a weapon, that didnt get used.

No sir, you are the one who is incorrect. Gotta drop the Witten agenda, dude, it's making you make false statements.

Absolutely, if Esco had been able to create separation, he would've shown that.

I agree w/ you about Bennett. He should've been used a lot more. Romo played favorites, big time.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
It is easy to see. Doing so, however, is much harder. Player evaluation is very very tough, which is why you need football men in charge. There are very few who can evaluate both players and teams successfully. That is the hard part.

There are always 5-6 good teams that stand out. The trick is to make the right moves to get into contention. That is where we have failed miserably, and wasted many many resources on very stupid moves. Those stupid moves point directly to the fact that our FO does not understand NFL football at a high enough level to build a super bowl contender.

Lucky we have MM now, who at the very least has a clue.

EVERY team makes moves that in hindsight can be viewed as VERY STUPID. Lets point to that great FO in Cincinnati I mean they were in the SB last year, so they must have a clue? Yes?
Well, Getting Laiel Collins was pretty stupid.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score

Wrong, sing OBJ and use Turpin more as a receiver.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
No sir, you are the one who is incorrect. Gotta drop the Witten agenda, dude, it's making you make false statements.

Absolutely, if Esco had been able to create separation, he would've shown that.

I agree w/ you about Bennett. He should've been used a lot more. Romo played favorites, big time.

I most definitely do have a witten agenda, and there is a good chance I am making false statements with escobar, but my I think my statements on the garrett and the coaching staffs use and development of TE's might wash it out

NeathBlue

Reaction score
I wish we had the great GM's running the bucs , Steelers and Packers right now. Or maybe the Saint since they had so many winning seasons in a row. If only we had those guys.....lol

Bit of a facepalm moment considering all the teams you mentioned have won Super Bowls in half the time period since we last won one.

kskboys

Reaction score
I most definitely do have a witten agenda, and there is a good chance I am making false statements with escobar, but my I think my statements on the garrett and the coaching staffs use and development of TE's might wash it out
I completely agree about JG and other stuff!!!! It was the player we were talking about who lacked NFL talent.

And aside from MartyB, we never brought a TE in who could compete. And don't forget the pouty dumping of Fasano just because he was a Tuna pick.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Sure I’m happy with how the season is going, but the FO is the reason we’ve been irrelevant since the 90s.

We draft ok, but we’re one of the worst teams in sports in roster / contract management. Current examples only:

- Let Cooper walk for a 5th rounder and also complained about his price (see what other teams are getting for top WRs and $20mil a season now looks like a steal for Cooper).

- Not only drafted a RB in the top, then proceeded to give him a monster 2nd contract which is arguably one of the worst contracts in football.

- Gave MG a huge payday coming off a signifanct injury.

- Did nothing to address swing OT in the offseason. Smith gets hurt and we’re forced to play Tyler at LT who’s played admirably but should be playing G.

- Until now, has essentially ignored the importance of the NT position

- Wanted to play the wait and see game with Dak which turns his salary from 30+ mil to 40+ mil

- Numerous awful blunders in the 2nd round

This is just off the top of my head…what else am I missing?