Feb 2019 Mock

Sandyf

Reaction score
So 100 days until the draft or there abouts, free agency on the horizon and our fascination on what our great team is going to do. To actually do a mock, we really need know what changes are going to happen before we get to the draft. So this is my best guess (hope) for what happens.

Before free agency starts, we resign Demarcus Lawrence, resign L.P. Ladouceur, resign Cameron Fleming, resign Rod Smith as a FB/RB, and resign David Irving (only to vet minimum contract). Just do not think Jerry is going to give up on Irving yet, probably should, but remember Randy Gregory to know why.

Hope we extend Dak, Zeke, and Cooper to keep them in the fold and maybe Jones.

I do think we will stay on the sidelines for the most part in free agency although I do believe we will ultimately sign Earl Thomas FS and Danny Shelton DT. WHY? Thomas will be the difference maker in making the defense the top defense in the league and his leadership alone will help the young guy. Shelton is much like a reclamation project, you know former #1 pick who hasn't lived up to expectations and should come cheap. Hopefully McClay can find another gem like A. Woods late in free agency.

Now the draft. We all know Dallas will draft BPA IAPON (best player available in a position of need) unless a guy falls that they had rated very high and fell for whatever reason. So what does Dallas need to become a better team next year. Thomas is a great start, resigning the guys we need is also a good thing but what draft pick could really make a difference.

I see the biggest improvement needed other than better play calling, as guys that can stretch the field and red zone targets. A better rotation at DT would also be great. And then depth, you always need depth. Now my picks will undoubtedly will be thrown to the wolves because someone will claim this guy or that guy is definitely going well before our pick. By my count in many, many mocks, there are 71 guys that are definitely 1st round picks and another 87 that will go before the 3rd round. What does it say? We have no clue who will actually go where or when, so here is my take.

58. Irv Smith, Jr. TE Alabama - great routes, great hands, great speed and very QB friendly. Has a great knack in the red zone and can run away from defenders.

90. Renell Wren DT Arizona St. - can play 1 tech or 3 tech, loads of talent, quick 1st step, needs the right coach in Richard/Marinelli, can definitely be a difference maker much like Aaron Donald

128. Parris Campbell WR Ohio St. - fast, good hands, good routes, return punts and kickoffs, should be a great slot WR

136. Bryce Love RB Stanford - recovering from ACL so may be limited at first but excellent runner, pass catcher, route runner and teammate. Good change of pace guy that could also be in the same backfield with Zeke for short screens, RPO and other game changing plays.

166.Isaiah Prince OT Ohio St. - good RT prospect especially with Collins going into contract year

243. Mike Bell FS Fresno St. - tall safety that has loads of potential and could take Frazier's spot, good range, speed, and hands. Also a ST player.

Just my take and sure it will change well before the draft.

DanA

Reaction score
I'd love that draft.

But I think Dane Brugler in his latest mock had the following:
- Irv Smith 1st round
- Parris Cambell before our 1st pick
- Wren as our 2nd round pick

So while that wouldn't have been too out there a couple of weeks ago, it looks like the most up to date info puts that draft as now being a bit unrealistic. It's definitely the type of players I would take though and those are all players I have looked at and liked.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I would take that FA and draft in a heartbeat but do not think some of those guys will fall that fast in the draft.