File Review: Connor Williams vs. Cincy

pansophy

Reaction score
Dak is not Romo, he needs acceptable OL play to sustain drives.I fear teams will now target Connor as he is the weakest link.
I've been critical of Dak, but he has shown he can throw on the move. He even did the 'Romo spin' move the other night. I'm more worried about Dak in the pocket if defenses can continue to clog the middle. If we can prevent defenses from the clogging the middle of the field we will be okay on offense provided we stay healthy.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
An important thing to bear in mind is that Connor Williams' opponent, DT Doug Atkins, is about as good as DTs in the NFL get. He managed to do an admiral job, despite the fact that he's a rookie OG facing one of the premier d-linemen around. I'm confident he'll develop into, at least, a solid keeper and probably considerably more than that, given adequate time to develop. He'll likely bear more bulk and strength by 2019, in addition to developing more effective technique in both pass protection and run blocking. It simply won't happen overnight -- let's be patient. ;)
Yet #98 (not Atkins) swam moved Williams like he was stuck in cement shoes and rushed right up the middle freely on Dak. Plays like that should scare anyone.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Yet #98 (not Atkins) swam moved Williams like he was stuck in cement shoes and rushed right up the middle freely on Dak. Plays like that should scare anyone.

Right -- we have proof of that, especially where QBs Rush and White are concerned. I'm sure Connor will be taught to avoid that.

Last edited:

jnday

Reaction score
Even the great David DeCastro struggled with his strength his first year. No worries, a good strength coach will fix him .

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Connor Williams is not a rookie all pro guard. Yes, maybe he will be the weak link on the OL, but he already brings more than the bum we played there last season. You don’t think Cooper was targeted?

DiResta

Reaction score
Since there seems to be some concern about Connor Williams' play against Cincy, I thought I'd go back and focus solely on him in that game.

First and 10: Much like the second play of the game (but a little better because he was able to delay the DT a little), Williams is driven back by power into Dak's lap as he throws too long for a well-covered Jarwin. BAD

;)

also a couple extra positives

DandyDon52

Reaction score
:hammer::clap::clap:You're a defensive coor game planning against the best OL in the league. You can guess the likely target for a mismatch. I'm not down on the kid for this game but what concerns me is we've seen free agents in practice expose his lack if strength during one-on-one drills. Not saying he won't be a good player. Just not sure if he's ready to play LG in NFL at a high level.
Looks like he isnt ready to play as a starter?
not big enough, not strong enough, and sure over time he can build on that, but was he worth the 1st round pick?
I think he was the rd 1 pick wasn't he?
This year he will be undersized, and not strong enough , and learning as he goes, that is tough on him, and could affect outcome of
some games.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
A Bruce Lee/Enter the Dragon fan I see... Bruce is my idol :bow:

Yes, big Bruce fan. Love the sounds he made, I use to imitate it when spurring. Lol
Getting ready to change out here soon and put my other boys up for a while as my avatar, The Road Warriors ( Hawk & Animal), love those guys wrestling. Lol

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since there seems to be some concern about Connor Williams' play against Cincy, I thought I'd go back and focus solely on him in that game.

First drive

First and 10: Two-yard run to the left. Williams double-teams the DE with Tyron and they knock him back off the line of scrimmage. Smith peels off and the DE spins to the inside to escape Williams, but the play is already made. If it had not been, the initial block was effective enough that Smith would have had room to run to the left of Williams. Looney's DT actually threw him off and made the tackle, but Martin got knocked back into the backfield as well. GOOD ENOUGH

Second and 8: Williams was driven back into Prescott on the snap.The only good that can be said about this rep is that Williams at least stayed in front of Atkins long enough for Dak to throw a short completion to Jarwin. BAD

Third and 3: A linebacker charges Williams, who easily stops his charge and knocks him sideways on a quick slant to Gallup. GOOD

First and 10: Williams can't get fully in front of the DT going right and is powered past as his man is the first to hit Smith in the backfield on a 1-yard run. BAD

Second and 9: Williams and Looney double the DT before Looney peels off to assist Martin. All three are pushed back but not enough to disrupt the incomplete pass. Williams' man was starting to rip free to loop around the scrum, but it was too late. GOOD ENOUGH

Third and 9: Williams and Smith double-team Atkins, who goes nowhere. The DE tries to loop inside, but Williams cuts him off with help from Looney. However, a free blitzer came from the outside forcing a quick throw to Hurns for 3 yards. GOOD

Next drive

First and 10: Williams handles the DT with a little assistance from Looney, who also assists Martin. Williams keeps the DT from turning in toward Dak and simply carries him upfield on the completion to Swaim. GOOD

Second and 2: Williams pulls left on a sweep and pins the safety toward the sideline. He had the play blocked for Smith to have a much bigger run than 4 yards, but Martin was also pulling and couldn't get around Swaim's block on the DE to get to the linebacker who made the play. It looked like Swaim's defender grabbed Martin. GOOD

First and 10: Straight power run for 2 yards behind right guard as Williams and Smith teammed up on a DT before Williams tried to peel off and get a linebacker. It was hard to tell who made the play as the line collapsed behind Williams. I think the DT both Williams and Smith initially blocked was in on the play. NEUTRAL to BAD (I can't tell exactly.)

Second and 8: Quick toss to Smith. Williams pushes the DT to his left with the throw going back to the right, so this was a pretty easy block because he didn't have to maintain it. GOOD

First and 10: Double-team with Looney gives Dak enough time, but he can't find anyone immediately and scrambles to his left as the blockers give ground. The DT spins away from Williams to give chase as Dak throws too high for Jarwin. Dak was flushed by some pressure coming from Collins' man, but the protection was good enough. GOOD

Second and 10: Williams got off the ball fast (at first I thought he had false started) to pin the DT to the inside on a run behind him. The DT tried to spin away, and got back around to where the play was made, but the block was good enough if Looney's had been. Instead, it was stopped for a 2-yard gain. GOOD ENOUGH

Third and 8: Williams and Looney doubled the DT, stopping any push up the middle. The DT then looped around the outside, running Williams into Smith. Williams recovered to stop the DT's charge before he got to Prescott, but Dak got rid of the ball, throwing it through the back of the end zone. BAD, even though Williams recovered well

Final drive:

First and 10: On a 2-yard run off left tackle, Williams blocked the tackle out of the play, but didn't get much push to remove him from the hole. It's possible that Williams not rooting out the DT led to Smith having nowhere to run, allowing the scrum to collapse on him, but I can't tell. Possibly GOOD ENOUGH

Second and 8: The DT (Atkins) threw aside Williams but Looney was there to help. The interior were being pushed back into Dak's lap, but it was a quick drop and pass to Williams. BAD

First and 10: Fake run to the left and Dak rolls right to throw an incompletion. Williams absolutely shoved his man (I believe it was a DE) back like he was drive blocking, but it was partly because the player had seen the rollout. GOOD

Second and 10: Williams and Smith double Atkins as he fires into the line. The stop him and along with Looney form a wall blocking off the DE and two DTs as Smith cuts behind them for a 4-yard gain. GOOD

Third and 6: Williams carries Atkins past the pocket as he charges upfield. Looney was looking to help but it happened so fast that all he could do was chase. Great job of Williams using Atkins' momentum against him on a completion to Hurns. GOOD

First and 10: The DT swims right over the top of Williams, forcing Dak to make the DT dance long enough to fire a pass to Swaim. REALLY BAD

Second and 2: Williams comes off a quick double with Looney to get on a linebacker and bearhug him as Smith races by on a long run. GOOD, but might could have been called holding

First and 10: Williams pulls left and pins a linebacker to the outside and Smith runs to his inside for six yards. GOOD

Second and 4: Pitch left. Williams is out in front and takes over blocking Gallup's man, keeping him out of the play that is made behind Williams after a 3-yard run by a DT that Looney didn't hold up long enough. GOOD ENOUGH

Third and 1: Williams and Smith initially double a DT, then Williams peels off quickly to knock a linebacker back on a power run straight up the gut for 2 yards. GOOD

First and 10: Much like the second play of the game (but a little better because he was able to delay the DT a little), Williams is driven back by power into Dak's lap as he throws too long for a well-covered Jarwin. BAD

Second and 10: Williams tried to chop the DT, which delayed him well enough that he wasn't involved in a 7-yard run to the right. GOOD

Third and 3: Williams and Looney team up to absorb Atkins' rush well enough on a quick throw to Gallup. GOOD

First and goal: Williams goes with Atkins' momentum to the left on a run up the middle, but Atkins pushes Williams off him and helps to make the stop on a 1-yard run. (Not completely Williams' fault, though, because Edwards had allowed penetration that slowed the play.) BAD

Second and goal: Williams and Looney doubled to completely stop the DT's rush, but Dak was flushed by a unblocked defender and ran for a yard to his right. GOOD

Third and goal: Williams stopped Atkins from getting penetration, but it almost looked like Atkins wasn't trying and was spying Dak. As Dak flushed to his left, Williams had hold of Atkins well enough that he couldn't pull away quick enough to pressure Dak before he threw the TD pass. It probably was a hold but not enough of one to be called. GOOD

Awesome review.

blueblood70

Reaction score
And we can counter that strategy with all kinds of traps, pulls, and screens.

He may be the weakest link along the OL— but he is playing between two All Pros and he has an All Pro RB, and a mobile QB to compensate for any mistakes he makes.

He struggled with Geno Atkins. It happens. Bottom line is that the starting offense without Zeke and Beasley have scored 17 points on 4 drives with Williams at LG.
counter does that exist with the Cowboys? howd they counter 3 straight games with chaz and company getting destroyed when smith was out? I saw a hey no problem at all :lmao:

did they learn their lesson? I hope so but it is easier to cover up inside guys then it is Tackles because they are typically out on an island with the fastest DL in the game..once they smell blood its over

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
counter does that exist with the Cowboys? howd they counter 3 straight games with chaz and company getting destroyed when smith was out? I saw a hey no problem at all :lmao:

did they learn their lesson? I hope so but it is easier to cover up inside guys then it is Tackles because they are typically out on an island with the fastest DL in the game..once they smell blood its over

1. Paul Alexander is a good coach— I think he will mask deficiencies just fine

2. Connor Williams is NOT Chaz Green

3. Williams was beaten by DeForest Bruckner and Geno Atkins on a few plays. The sky is not falling

conner01

Reaction score
He just needs a good year in the weight room. He is serviceable now which is ok. Next couple years he will be a stud out there.
I think that’s right. It was obvious he needs to get stronger and that’s gonna take at least a full off season. If he can be serviceable this year and get the much needed reps, add some bulk and strength in the off season he could have a bright future

J-man

Reaction score
I think the kid will be fine. He needs to get stronger, but we all knew that when they drafted him. The question is, will another player like K Edwards, or OG from another team about to be cut) be a better option early on as Conner progresses? I don't think Mama can do it. Is Chaz Green an option inside again? He certainly isn't making this team as an OT.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Dak is not Romo, he needs acceptable OL play to sustain drives.I fear teams will now target Connor as he is the weakest link.
But I thought Romo couldn't win more playoff games because of a horrendous O-Line.

Back to the real topic. You can tell he really struggles with power on the inside. This kid has to gain 20-30 lbs and alot of strength. He will probably be wishy washy this season. He needs a full off season to get a guard body.