File Review: Connor Williams vs. Cincy

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fletcher Cox 5.5 sacks last year...

Geno Atkins- 9

And do you actually think Atkins is the better player over Fletcher Cox?

Even if you do, Atkins exposed the weaknesses in Williams game repeatedly on Saturday Night.

Reaction score
Dak is not Romo, he needs acceptable OL play to sustain drives.I fear teams will now target Connor as he is the weakest link.
While you are probably correct, every o-line has a weak link. And the opposition will try to exploit it.

That makes the Cowboys o-line no different than any other.

Ken

Reaction score

Even if you do, Atkins exposed the weaknesses in Williams game repeatedly on Saturday Night.
As a pass rusher, absolutely. It is not even debatable.

As an overall player, I would take Cox because he is a more complete player and health reasons. My point is, he is already being tested. And giving up a few pressure against one of the best pass rushing DTs in his 2nd preseason game is pretty damn good.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a pass rusher, absolutely. It is not even debatable.

As an overall player, I would take Cox because he is a more complete player and health reasons. My point is, he is already being tested. And giving up a few pressure against one of the best pass rushing DTs in his 2nd preseason game is pretty damn good.

I disagree. Williams has been too wildly inconsistent for what I had hoped to see from him.

He still has time to fix some issues, but "pretty damn good" is not how I would describe his play thus far.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I remember when Jermey Parnell dominated Geno Atkins in a preseason game...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hopefully everyone sees this thread.

I've seen people claim he was terrible and other people claim he was dominant.

"Film don't lie". OK, it's game footage not film for people without All-22 but Film sounds better...

Creeper

Reaction score
Williams is better on the move but he struggles with the bull rushes. Right now teams are trying a lot of things to get ready for the season but once the regular season start he is going to see everyone bull rushing him. OGs are not supposed to be letting guys penetrate and then he blocks them to the outside. I think Williams needs another year to grow stronger and add some bulk. He just looks small.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Williams is better on the move but he struggles with the bull rushes. Right now teams are trying a lot of things to get ready for the season but once the regular season start he is going to see everyone bull rushing him. OGs are not supposed to be letting guys penetrate and then he blocks them to the outside. I think Williams needs another year to grow stronger and add some bulk. He just looks small.

Actually on certain plays, they are supposed to let them penetrate. Sometimes using a player's momentum against him is an easier way to secure a block than staying right in front of them. You can push them harmlessly past the quarterback and help block the end from having a corner to get around.