Film Review of 2014 Draft Class

dantheman41

Reaction score
Hey guys as a service to this site, and just something I flat out enjoy doing I am going to do a scouting report of all the players in this draft I have the time for. At first, I am going to do a position by position breakdown. After I finish that, I will do others that I might have missed. Here are the rules I am going to follow:

- No going to be swayed by other draft gurus or by how others view certain players
- Will strictly be going off of tape. For each player, I will review at least 3 games.
- I am open to suggestions and players you want me to check out
- If my viewpoints don't agree with yours, or what you have read from others, don't get mad. I am just giving my personal viewpoints of a particular player, and how they might be able to fit onto this cowboys team. Form your own opinions on how you want to view the player

Follow me on twitter for more of my suggestions, and what I am currently watching. I made a specific twitter handle just for this forum and draft prospects. It is @DCDraftScout

dantheman41

Reaction score
Without further ado, I am going to start first on the DE's. I have reviewed 4 so far. The first one I reviewed today was:

Scott Crichton (Oregon State) Scouting Report

Positives
: Good job of splitting double teams. Play-maker. Wins with strength. Can move around the defensive line. Was used inside in certain situations, especially in the Oregon game. His power is impressive. Saw him push centers and guards into the QB. His power is impressive for a guy his size.

Negatives: Difficult time setting the edge. Easily fooled by option offenses. Gets swallowed up in running game. Doesn’t have great explosion off the edge. Do not see how he will be a great pass rusher in the NFL. Ceiling is not real high.

How he could fit on this team
: Probably a LDE. Lacks the explosion of a RDE.

Where I would take him
: 2nd round at the earliest

Overall feeling: Like, do not love. Could be a nice complement on the defensive line, certainly not the lead dog in the sled

Last edited by a moderator:

dantheman41

Reaction score
Michael Sam (Missouri) Scouting Report

Positives
: Extremely explosive. Tremendous get off. Consistently in the backfield in both the running and passing game. Even though he has the explosion, he is not a skinny player. Flashed all over the screen. Consistently beat double teams.

Negatives: Is he a one trick pony? Only way I saw him beat people with was his speed and explosion. Even though he has the body, do not see him use his power.

: Probably doesn't because the scouts on this team really stress measurables. His lack of height will probably force him to a 3-4 team. I would love him as a SDE if team was willing to take an undersized player.

Where I would take him
: 2nd round

Overall feeling: Really really like this player! If I were scout I would be all over the player. I don't care about his height, he constantly made plays in the best conference in college football.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Kony Ealy (Missouri) Scouting Report

Positives
: Big bodied guy with excellent size. Has position flex. Gets his hands on a lot of balls. Knows how to use his arms and body to get in front of the QB.

Negatives: Not particularly great at any one thing. Not overly strong, and not overly explosive. Not at all confident in his speed rush, rarely tries. He is very predictable. Always tries to take the inside approach, and to crash inside.
How he could fit on this team: Probably a LDE. Has the body to easily move to a 3 tech by adding a few pounds. Have a feeling the scouts on this team will like him because of his measurables, position flex and size.
Where I would take him: 2nd round at the earliest.

Overall feeling: Not a huge fan. I understand the measurables, but I just do not see a great football player. Michael Sam flashed WAY more on tape. I couldn't keep my eyes on Ealy because they always flocked toward Sam

dantheman41

Reaction score
Jadeveon Clowney (South Carolina) Scouting Report

Positives
: Rare athlete. When engaged he is unstoppable. Consistently makes plays in both the pass and rushing game. Completely alters a game. You RARELY see a positive play go on his side of the field. Completely seals the edge even against running QBs. Can probably even rush on the inside in the nickel.

Negatives: Not always engaged. Is it because of the lack of a motor or does he just take plays off? As much of an athlete as he is, very often see him engulfed by a single blocker.

: Position flex. He has the explosion and the strength to play at either end. Can even move inside on passing downs.

Where I would take him
: Top 10 pick

Overall feeling: Love the player. I would get to the bottom of his off the field issues, and see how well he interviews. Does he love football? Does he strive to be great? Those are the things I worry about.

Macnalty

Reaction score
That is going to be a handful of work, look forward to seeing the results. Thanks

bodi

Reaction score
look at Josh Mauro they say he is DE but I play him at DE

dantheman41

Reaction score
Josh Mauro (Stanford) Scouting Report

Positives
: Strong. Has a knack for taking on blockers. Occupies 2, sometimes 3 blockers to open up opportunities for other guys. Good tackler when he gets his hands on you. Gives max effort every play. Hustles plays down.

Negatives: Not overly athletic. Very little explosion in his get off. Does not shed blocks when pass rushing. Will never be a great pass rusher.

: Do not see a fit. I see him more of a 3-4 defensive end. Space eater that takes on blocks. Not going to disrupt a lot of plays, but can help open up other opportunities for the other guys. Do not think he is explosive enough to be a 3 tech in this scheme.

Where I would take him
: I wouldn't for this team. But he is a mid round prospect in my books. 3-5 somewhere.

Overall feeling: Not a huge fan. Doesn't make enough plays for my liking.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Trent Murphy (Stanford) Scouting Report

Positives
: Uses his size well. Good measurables. Has a knack for getting in passing lanes to disrupt a QB's vision, and to knock down passes. Has enough explosion to be an effective pass rusher. Moves around a lot. Even was used in coverage at times. Plays smart. The team trusts him in a lot of different areas. Has a lot of responsibility on the defense. Very disciplined when setting the edge. Has a really good swim move. Makes plays in every game I watched.

Negatives: Rarely makes plays in the run game. Do not see the athleticism of a great pass rusher. Cannot bend and turn the edge against a tackle. Needs to develop more pass rush moves.

: Can be a defensive end in this scheme. Either side would be fine. He is the type of player I could see being a corner stone piece to this defense.

Where I would take him
: I would feel great getting him in the 2nd round. Our pick in the 1st is a little too early for my liking. If we traded down to end of the round, I would be good with taking him there.

Overall feeling: Like the player a lot, not in love.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Some players who flashed a little in their bowl games or in the season: Louisville DE Marcus Smith, Louisville LBs Preston Brown and Champ Lee, Tenn LB AJ Johnson, Mich St LB Denicos Allen, SC QB Shaw, AL WR Norwood, SC WR Ellington, and LSU WR Landry

dantheman41

Reaction score
Jackson Jeffcoat (Texas) Scouting Report

Positives
: Excellent at stunts. Figures out where there is a hole and finds it. Has the quickness and the burst to turn the edge. Tends to be in the right place at the right time.

Negatives: Need to do serious strength training. Not enough bulk to play a defensive end in a 4-3. When engaged, rarely gets off blocks. Is raw. Needs refinement. One trick pony. Never wins with power.

: Plays in a weird scheme in Texas, and at a different position. Hard to say. I guess here he would project as a weak defensive end. I might actually see him more as a 3-4 outside rusher. Does a better job rushing standing up using his quickness. When taking on blockers, he struggles.

Where I would take him
: I see him as a Kyle Wilber type. I would not take before the 4th round.

Overall feeling: Not impressed. I would avoid this player. I don't care how many sacks he had. I saw a raw player that needs a lot of improving in a lot of areas.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Some players who flashed a little in their bowl games or in the season: Louisville DE Marcus Smith, Louisville LBs Preston Brown and Champ Lee, Tenn LB AJ Johnson, Mich St LB Denicos Allen, SC QB Shaw, AL WR Norwood, SC WR Ellington, and LSU WR Landry

You want me to review these players? Marcus Smith is on my short list. Will probably do him tomorrow along with Stephon Tuitt, Trevor Reilly, Chris Smith and Demarcus Lawrence. Should I bother with others that project to be 3-4 outside rushers?

tm1119

Reaction score
Kareem Martin and Ben Gardner are 2 more names to look at while youre on a DE kick.

Good work though, I'll be sure to keep checking back

JBS

Reaction score
Just an opinion. But id hold off on when you'd draft these players before you review them all. You already have Ealy and Sam as second rounders and you already mentioned that you like Sam way more.

Wait til you have watched everyone that you plan on watching. Then it will be easier to put a round grade on them.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Just an opinion. But id hold off on when you'd draft these players before you review them all. You already have Ealy and Sam as second rounders and you already mentioned that you like Sam way more.

Wait til you have watched everyone that you plan on watching. Then it will be easier to put a round grade on them.

K good thought!

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
You want me to review these players? Marcus Smith is on my short list. Will probably do him tomorrow along with Stephon Tuitt, Trevor Reilly, Chris Smith and Demarcus Lawrence. Should I bother with others that project to be 3-4 outside rushers?

Yeah, if you could, I would like to see your review of these players. I think they would all be good additions to the Cowboys. I don't get too bothered about 3-4 vs 4-3. Just like Parcells said, "A good player can play in any system."

Louisville DE Marcus Smith, Louisville LBs Preston Brown and Champ Lee, Tenn LB AJ Johnson, Mich St LB Denicos Allen, SC QB Shaw, AL WR Norwood, SC WR Ellington, LSU WR Landry and Aub RB Tre Mason.