Film Review of 2014 Draft Class

dantheman41

Reaction score
That site was very bad for me. I went back and reviewed a larger sample size of some of the players I've been spouting my mouth off and I might have to eat a little crow. I still don't see the rave about Donald (maybe just my untrained judgemental eye) but I used to think he wasn't as good as Jernigen. I was wrong! They both have different strengths to be sure but yeah Donald isn't that bad and Jernigen isn't that good as I've believed. Donald is much more disruptive (the only team I could compare apples-apples was georgia tech) but Jernigen was MUCH better against the run. Jernigen was not nearly as much in the backfield tho. I'm not seeing what you guys are seeing about Hagemon either. Could you help me out? I saw a guy that was routinely handled one vs one and little to no penetration. I was expecting much more. Like I said, this site might have been very bad for me :D thanks for all the work you did.

Thanks and I appreciate your feedback. While Donald was very good player on tape, he was considered a 2nd round player before senior bowl. So he wasn't absolutely dominating as you would expect from the hype he is getting. At the senior bowl and the combine it showed how good a player he was, and also his potential. He was unblockable all week at the senior bowl, and at the combine he posted absolutely ridiculously numbers for a DT.

And yes I agree with you on Jernigan. I think he is a stout, strong player who can get some push but I don't see a dominate football player. If I am taking a DT in the first round, I want that guy to be extremely disruptive. I don't want a run stuffer who can occasionally get a pressure on the QB. We have that in Nick Hayden. Aaron Donald is a much better prospect for that.

Donald would not be receiving the hype if this draft had better first round talent at DT, or is Easley was healthy. But he is far and away the safest prospect at the position.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Morgan Moses (Virginia) Scouting Report

Positives:
Much more of a RT in the NFL for a run happy team. Can be dominate in the run game. Really excellent length and size. Mauler and brawler. Very physical player. Wears defenders out with his physical style, gets better as game goes on.

Negatives: Allows rushers to easily disengage. Poor movement skills, his backpedal leaves something to be desired. Gets beat by quick inside move as well as speed rushers. Looks lost in space. Poor technique. Does not know how to use his hands. Needs to be in a zone scheme, gets destroyed when he's on an island.

How he could fit on this team: Reminds me a lot of a poor mans DJ Fluker. Would have to play RT in the NFL. Preferably in a zone scheme.

Overall feeling: Would get absolutely abused at LT in a pass happy offense. Cannot handle athletic rushers at all. Very disappointed I had high hopes for him from all the hype he has been getting as a 1st round talent lately. Can be a really good run blocker, his pass blocking is extremely raw. Can be coached up with right coaching staff has the measurables.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Jamea Thomas (Georgia Tech) Scouting Report

Positives:
Really good special teams player, plays as the gunner. Very physical player who is excellent against the run. Has experience in a lot of different coverages. Plays sometimes as a single high or covers receiver in slot. Moves really well. Excellent blitzer.

Negatives
: Does not seem to make a lot of plays on the ball. Lacks ideal height. Does not make a ton of plays on the ball. Lacks great awareness.

How he could fit on this team: He is kind of a hybrid corner and safety, plays both. Probably ideally a FS, who can cover slot receiver if needed.

Overall feeling: Pleasant surprise. Really like him, and I think he can definitely fill a role on this team. With one of our 7th round picks I would take him in a second. Has a lot of coverage experience, and would be a perfect fit in this scheme.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Walt Aitkens (Liberty) Scouting Report

Positives:
Prototypical off coverage zone corner. Playmaker. Bend but not break corner. Excellent size and length. Very fluid athlete who moves really well. Excellent closing speed. Reads and reacts really well. Makes plays on the ball. Can play all over the field. Does not let receivers beat him down the field. Excellent athlete who is use to being the best athlete on the field.

Negatives
: Gets a little too physical down the field. Gives up a lot of short passes. Not a great tackler, or overly physical. Likes to bait QBs into throwing at him, catches up to him sometimes. Gets manhandled in run game, cannot get off blocks.

How he could fit on this team: Can cover either side.

Overall feeling: Being a small school corner, I would be a little worried. He is certainly a play maker, but needs to get stronger. Against small school competition he can get away with a lot of things he wouldn't be able to in the NFL. Definitely a player you can work with. Has some really nice traits for this defensive scheme, but needs to be coached up.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Demetri Goodson (Baylor) Scouting Report

Positives:
Really confident football player. Can turn and run with anyone. Excellent closing speed. Makes a lot of plays on the ball. Plays both zone and man to man very well. Nice awareness, and plays balls in the air really well.

Negatives
: Gets overly physical down the field. Has a tough time against speedy receivers at times. Will give up a big play once in a while. A gambler.

How he could fit on this team: Good late round flyer.

Overall feeling: Thought he was really good! Especially for a late round guy. Has really nice athletic ability that can certainly be workable. Very confident player who plays with swag. He occasionally will give up a big play, but makes up for it on other plays.

CashMan

Reaction score

Positives:
Much more of a RT in the NFL for a run happy team. Can be dominate in the run game. Really excellent length and size. Mauler and brawler. Very physical player. Wears defenders out with his physical style, gets better as game goes on.

Negatives: Allows rushers to easily disengage. Poor movement skills, his backpedal leaves something to be desired. Gets beat by quick inside move as well as speed rushers. Looks lost in space. Poor technique. Does not know how to use his hands. Needs to be in a zone scheme, gets destroyed when he's on an island.

How he could fit on this team: Reminds me a lot of a poor mans DJ Fluker. Would have to play RT in the NFL. Preferably in a zone scheme.

Overall feeling: Would get absolutely abused at LT in a pass happy offense. Cannot handle athletic rushers at all. Very disappointed I had high hopes for him from all the hype he has been getting as a 1st round talent lately. Can be a really good run blocker, his pass blocking is extremely raw. Can be coached up with right coaching staff has the measurables.

I think he would be a terrible pick for Dallas.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Positives:

This is not what I see when watching Moses.

His athleticism is underrated. His movements do look a little awkward, but he has decent quickness nonetheless.

He would be a terrific RT and with good coaching might be able to play LT.

Playing in a Zone Scheme is about run blocking. I have no idea why he would need to be in Zone scheme only. He is powerful enough to play in a Zone or Man scheme.

He played well against Beasley and Attaochu which are 2 of the better speed rushers in college football.

Moses is much more athletic than Fluker.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score

His athleticism is underrated. His movements do look a little awkward, but he has decent quickness nonetheless.

Playing in a Zone Scheme is about run blocking. I have no idea why he would need to be in Zone scheme only. He is powerful enough to play in a Zone or Man scheme.

He played well against Beasley and Attaochu which are 2 of the better speed rushers in college football.

He basically shut out Attaochu, kid didn't even get a sniff of the QB until late in the game.

I like Moses plenty as well.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He basically shut out Attaochu, kid didn't even get a sniff of the QB until late in the game.

I like Moses plenty as well.

Yep, I like Attaochu, but you basically couldn't see him because Moses engulfed him so much.

NeonDeion21

Reaction score

Yeah I agree with you X on Moses. I have him inside my top 20. I think he can be an outstanding RT for 10+ years. His movement skills are fantastic given his size.

Smith22

Reaction score
I just wanted to say awesome job. I reviewed 4 or 5 DL prospects and found myself agreeing with you quite a bit.

Thanks again for the research.

Smith22

Reaction score
Chris Smith (Arkansas) Scouting Report

Positives
: Good power. Has a nice bull rush.

Negatives: Very little athletic ability. Not a great get off, or great athleticism. Get blown off the ball way too much. Doesn't play 100% every play. Jogs way too much in pursuit. Off the field too much for my liking.
How he could fit on this team: Defensive end in this scheme

Overall feeling: Probably the worst of all the DE's I have seen. A late round pick in my assessment. I was really struggling to find good things to say about him. Couple of the games I watched I didn't see 1 real positive play from him. Thats extremely discouraging.

Watched him versus Texas A&M and agreed with you other than a sack where he stayed with the play.

But then I watched the tape vs. LSU and the guy was everywhere. I believe he beat both tackles. I think he can be coached up.