Video: Film Room: Micah Parson Strengths/Weaknesses

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Every linebacker in the league has the same weaknesses (at times) they just said Parsons has. There is not one linebacker in this league that doesn't get fooled by fakes. There is not one linebacker in this league that sheds every block.

The guy is a smaller, faster LVE without the injuries.

JBond

Reaction score
Every linebacker in the league has the same weaknesses (at times) they just said Parsons has. There is not one linebacker in this league that doesn't get fooled by fakes. There is not one linebacker in this league that sheds every block.

They are opposites in my opinion. Despite his size, LVE is a more finesse player that reads and reacts. Parsons is more of a guided missile. Find ball kill ball.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

He is raw, there is no doubt about it. Trust me, he will get better as he gets more experience. That's the scary part is he can get much better. Im sure he will learn quickly getting burnt with some of these DT's. He will learn quickly not to trust Jaylon.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Samuel Gold, despite being a Washington fan, really knows his football. He puts out some pretty good videos.

Having said that, I think he’s overselling Micah’s flaws here and underselling his athleticism. And he doesn’t talk nearly enough about Parsons’ knack for getting home on the pass rush. That’s going to be big for the way Dallas is going to use him.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Sure, Parsons is a rookie who needs to be indoctrinated thoroughly but he's also one with special talents. He has speed and quickness to a generous degree and uses it to work his way to opposing QBs with real physicality. He also stops RBs in their tracks with surprising frequency. :)

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

LVE is a bad comparison.

He is more like Jaylon with 2 feet.

LVE is a great space player and plays the pass like a DB.

Parsons is good sideways and downhill but he has a ton of work to do to become anything like LVE in coverage.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
At the beginning he states we traded down because none of the QB's we wanted were available. We had just signed Dak to a massive extension and had one of the worst defenses in the NFL last year. Were we ever really in the market for a QB?

quickccc

Reaction score

Irony is both Jaylon and LVE are those that can be fooled by misdirection, it has often come up in screen passes which there's no secret has just
killed this team. some of the teams with great play action fakes has turned and spun their heads completely around.
and as i thought they'd eventually get better with more game experience, they really haven't.

i dunno how much is questionable instincts and how much is coaching.

But i recalled it was one of the questionable matters about Parson at draft time.
That and his ability to cover which he reportedly he wasn't asked to do a lot of as compared to
how often he was asked to blitz.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
LVE is a bad comparison.

He is more like Jaylon with 2 feet.

LVE is a great space player and plays the pass like a DB.

Parsons is good sideways and downhill but he has a ton of work to do to become anything like LVE in coverage.

LVE and Jaylon can only cover blocking TEs on routes. They stink at covering RBs in the flat or TEs with speed. Neither LVE or Jaylon is good in space. Neither is good at blitzing.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
I'm no way near sold on Parsons yet. I hope he turns into a great players for us.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
LVE and Jaylon can only cover blocking TEs on routes. They stink at covering RBs in the flat or TEs with speed. Neither LVE or Jaylon is good in space. Neither is good at blitzing.

I completely disagree and think that is a ridiculous thing to say about LVE really.

LVE isn't a good blitzer. I think JAylon actually is and it's the only thing he is good at.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm no way near sold on Parsons yet. I hope he turns into a great players for us.

I'm glad to hear they are lining him up on the outside and letting him rush.

He has to impact the pass game in some way or it's a waste of a premium pick.

quickccc

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear they are lining him up on the outside and letting him rush.

He has to impact the pass game in some way or it's a waste of a premium pick.

I'm hoping Parson blitzes and rushes passer from all angles - if opposition is scouted to have suspect blitz blocking RBs , I'm coming after them. even if it's up the gut.

i just hope that we have the right coaches that are great blitz-scheme designers. Able to line him up and move him around to take advantages of overloads and mismatches
vs OTs, TEs and RBs - Not just rushing him up the gut for sake of bringing an extra guy.

It's been ridiculous how sorry we were/have been at blitzing LBs.
Rarely if ever between the gap at last pre-snap moment, not a stunt or twist, well designed delay, the LBs never get there..

HungryLion

Reaction score
Nice video.

pretty much exactly what a lot of us familiar with him have been saying.

absolutely elite physical talent. Highly productive guy that can rush the passer.

just relatively raw and needs to keep developing and gaining experience.

I do appreciate the fact that the guy also mentions that Parsons was continuing to get better.

that’s why I think Parsons will be fine. Yes he is raw at LB. yes he needs more experience at the position and will make some mistakes as he is learning.

BUT, Parsons was consistently getting better and better with every game at Penn State. Which is why I feel confident he will do the same at the NFL level.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I'm hoping Parson blitzes and rushes passer from all angles - if opposition is scouted to have suspect blitz blocking RBs , I'm coming after them. even if it's up the gut.

i just hope that we have the right coaches that are great blitz-scheme designers. Able to line him up and move him around to take advantages of overloads and mismatches
vs OTs, TEs and RBs - Not just rushing him up the gut for sake of bringing an extra guy.

It's been ridiculous how sorry we were/have been at blitzing LBs.
Rarely if ever between the gap at last pre-snap moment, not a stunt or twist, well designed delay, the LBs never get there..

Yeah I agree. With Parsons talent. It will be criminal if our defensive coaches don’t let him blitz the QB regularly.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Exactly. The idea that LVE plays the pass like a CB is laughable. He gives up an 80.5% completion rate and 8.8 yards per catch. he is not good in coverage

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Film Room: How Micah Parsons Will Transform the Cowboys' Defense | NFL Draft 2021 Scouting Report

We need to be patient with Parsons as he is more of an athlete then a linebacker at this juncture as he has only played the position for 2 seasons, being a former HS defensive end. There are going to be some growing pains, but the hope is with my experience, he will continue to get better.