Video: Film Room: Micah Parson Strengths/Weaknesses

quickccc

Reaction score
LVE and Jaylon can only cover blocking TEs on routes. They stink at covering RBs in the flat or TEs with speed. Neither LVE or Jaylon is good in space. Neither is good at blitzing.

I completely disagree and think that is a ridiculous thing to say about LVE really.

LVE isn't a good blitzer. I think JAylon actually is and it's the only thing he is good at.

i believe LVE has the lateral movement and mobility to get to point A in a hurry and cover in space.
But odd that we saw him make plays in open field his rookie year (per play vs Sproles in Philly) as well as getting in passing lanes (per INT vs ATL) but afterwards in following years
his play vs mis-directions, ala screen plays, RPO's, play fakes just completely fell off.

Because of Jaylon's limited lateral movement, he cannot re-direct, or recover from making an initial, suckered move.
That's why he has to "try" to guess it just right, whether gap run defense or cover drops. And his instincts (or lack of) always has him 'guessing "
and to make matters worse, he's also very suspect in working his through traffic, often gets stuck to blocks or stays blocked. That also doesnt help matters
in run gaps and getting out to the flats on screen plays or other mis-direction plays.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
He is raw, there is no doubt about it. Trust me, he will get better as he gets more experience. That's the scary part is he can get much better. Im sure he will learn quickly getting burnt with some of these DT's. He will learn quickly not to trust Jaylon.
:laugh:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If Parsons runs a legit 4.3, I'm not worried about his coverage skills, especially if he's merely raw at coverage. He has enough speed to cover TEs, RBs, AND WRs.

quickccc

Reaction score
If Parsons runs a legit 4.3, I'm not worried about his coverage skills, especially if he's merely raw at coverage. He has enough speed to cover TEs, RBs, AND WRs.

i would think it's far more to coverage skills than just a fast straight line run in shorts, that doesn't account for techniques, in planting and re-directing
and knowing how to be in a shadow on hip of a receiver.

Route recognition and anticipating has to factor, knowing how to properly get into best coverage position and angles, hand usage, drop in pass lanes as well as sticking to these
move TEs and scat backs - and Its about how he can translate that str8 line speed into coverage production.

Some of these TEs and scatbacks really know how to jimmer and hip shake away from these
supposedly superior athletic LBs

Some LBs just have a natural instinctive knack for coverages, whether man or zone (ala Sean Lee) ..while other LBs do not.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
i would think it's far more to coverage skills than just a fast straight line run in shorts, that doesn't account for techniques, in planting and re-directing

Route recognition and anticipating has to factor, knowing how to properly get into best coverage position and angles, hand usage, drop in pass lanes as well as sticking to these
move TEs and scat backs - and Its about how he can translate that str8 line speed into coverage production.

Some of these TEs and scatbacks really know how to jimmer and hip shake away from these

Some LBs just have a natural instinctive knack for coverages, whether man or zone (ala Sean Lee) ..while other LBs do not.

True, but speed can be a great equalizer, which is why many linebackers with the height and weight go undrafted. You MUST have speed because if you don't, your technique matters little if you don't have the speed to stay with your man.

I'm just not that worried about his coverage skills. I don't envision him as a primary coverage linebacker anyway. But I think he's teachable and has the skill set and speed to drop in coverage if and when necessary.

But we shall see.

JBond

Reaction score
I'm hoping Parson blitzes and rushes passer from all angles - if opposition is scouted to have suspect blitz blocking RBs , I'm coming after them. even if it's up the gut.

i just hope that we have the right coaches that are great blitz-scheme designers. Able to line him up and move him around to take advantages of overloads and mismatches
vs OTs, TEs and RBs - Not just rushing him up the gut for sake of bringing an extra guy.

It's been ridiculous how sorry we were/have been at blitzing LBs.
Rarely if ever between the gap at last pre-snap moment, not a stunt or twist, well designed delay, the LBs never get there..
Winner! Parsons is a wrecking ball. We just need the coaches to point him in the correct direction.

JBond

Reaction score

Picture a bigger stronger Lee that stays healthy. The recognition will come with reps. The board will go nuts when he screws a play. His college play shows he can drop back and man the middle if needed. He also has shown he can cover the flats. He can shed blocks with a variety of moves. He is a natural pass rusher with bend. It is up to the coaches to place him in the right position based on the situation.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Irony is both Jaylon and LVE are those that can be fooled by misdirection, it has often come up in screen passes which there's no secret has just
killed this team. some of the teams with great play action fakes has turned and spun their heads completely around.
and as i thought they'd eventually get better with more game experience, they really haven't.

i dunno how much is questionable instincts and how much is coaching.

But i recalled it was one of the questionable matters about Parson at draft time.
That and his ability to cover which he reportedly he wasn't asked to do a lot of as compared to
how often he was asked to blitz.
Teams schemed off of Jaylon asap once they figured out that short film room visit, difference now is that Jaylon can just be Jaylon and that still comes with a role.
Difference is now we got someone that can actually do what we needed Jaylon do on first and second downs, probably even third downs.. thats what Im saying.
Wanna pay Jaylon to be a high priced out of service DPR than thats the way this roster is rolling because that is exactly what Jaylon is until he proves differently.
Jaylon got called out in this draft, more so than LVE by a long shot.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Micah Parsons doesn't have weaknesses. He can play off the ball, on the ball as a rusher, inside, outside, he can play the run, he can cover, he's physical, explosive, fast, can play a finesse game or a bully. He's one of the 10 best LB prospects in the last 20 years.

The Cowboys got a real gem with that pick. He's not all that popular strictly because he's not a cornerback and many people suffer from that virus. "Sace" is about to silence those doubters. If we could give likes during games he would quickly become the Risen Star of this roster.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Micah Parsons doesn't have weaknesses. He can play off the ball, on the ball as a rusher, inside, outside, he can play the run, he can cover, he's physical, explosive, fast, can play a finesse game or a bully. He's one of the 10 best LB prospects in the last 20 years.

The Cowboys got a real gem with that pick. He's not all that popular strictly because he's not a cornerback and many people suffer from that virus. "Sace" is about to silence those doubters. If we could give likes during games he would quickly become the Risen Star of this roster.
His only weakness was being on the shelf for a year,, I think he can over come that and has already shown early signs of why he was deserving of being that pick.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm not too worried about Parsons' coverage abilities. We'll be playing him in a lot of zone, and 4.3 speed + elite elite burst will have him closing in on a lot of throws.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His only weakness was being on the shelf for a year,, I think he can over come that and has already shown early signs of why he was deserving of being that pick.

Like Melly Mel said when he was drafted, if he didn't opt out last year he wouldn't have been available at 12.

It worked out perfectly for the Cowboys. You get a truly great blue chip player there with a year less wear and tear on his body plus you add a scary talent like Chauncey Golston to boot.

A+ first round. Not so much after that.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Like Melly Mel said when he was drafted, if he didn't opt out last year he wouldn't have been available at 12.

It worked out perfectly for the Cowboys. You get a truly great blue chip player there with a year less wear and tear on his body plus you add a scary talent like Chauncey Golston to boot.

A+ first round. Not so much after that.
Well, so this is a good start,, you are accepting Parsons as a good pick,,, it does get rougher from here but I bet by TC you will be liking even my boy Vasher...
GhzU7wh.jpg

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
LVE and Jaylon can only cover blocking TEs on routes. They stink at covering RBs in the flat or TEs with speed. Neither LVE or Jaylon is good in space. Neither is good at blitzing.

Jaylon had very good blitzing efficiency in 2018. He has regressed in everything since then.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Film Room: How Micah Parsons Will Transform the Cowboys' Defense | NFL Draft 2021 Scouting Report

He was wrong on many of the plays he tried to analyze.

The problem with "grading film" is that you have to spend many hours reviewing a player and his team to have an educated guess about responsibilities for defensive players.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And another thing about Parsons, he's only been playing the position for TWO YEARS! He's still getting comfortable as a LB while putting up these best in class numbers.

Dude's a freak.

As an aside, during his introductory press conference, our Director of Personnel Stephen Jones was asked if he watched his first round pick's bowl game.

He answered, and I quote, "No but I saw the highlights".

Our Director of Personnel. Didn't have time to watch that game. Of our first round pick. The last one he played.

I don’t know what's worse. The fact that the top personnel assistant to the fake GM is a completely entitled 'in name only' waste of space like his father or how tone deaf he is when speaking to the media.