Video: Film Study: Analyzing Cowboys Connor McGovern at Center

Creeper

Reaction score
This video confirms my impressions of the game I watched on TV. The OL is getting beat up. First watch Tyron. He does not bury guys or drive them out of the hole like Steele did. I don't think it is a right-side, left side thing either. I hope when Steele comes back from injury he is able to continue to drive guys out like he was before.

Notice the difference in blocking DTs vs DE when you watch Tyler Smith. Maybe this is why he could not win the battle of LG over McGovern.

The Titans like a certain type of defensive lineman, not the quick twitchy guys who shoot gaps. They like the big strong powerful DTs who are not easily pushed off their spot. They take up blockers and allow the LBs to come up and make the plays close to the LOS. They also get off their blocks. Even Zack Martin had trouble holding his blocks against them. This is what Dallas is missing. It is not something they can fix now but it is something I wish they would fix in the future.

You have to admire the way the Titans play defense. They are very physical and they all get to the ball quickly. The 49ers play a similar style of defense only they have better DBs.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

It's just infuriated me over the years how we didn't give significant C snaps to McGovern.
Much like they never gave LT snaps to Connor Williams.
Both had played the positions and yet were not given a chance to compete for the positions, or even to keep their skill level up with continued training.
And whaddya know? We ended up with big needs at the positions.
The real irony is that Connor Williams has turned out to be the best C of them all. Didn't see that coming.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I’m not a fan of McGovern. I’ve watched other film breakdowns (and my own recordings of some of the games) and the video in this thread is just a continuation of the issues I see.

McGovern has horrible contact balance. He gets out over his skis and is literally left whiffing, not in a power position, or on the ground.

Right off the bat (time mark at :15) he lunges and completely whiffs, flailing around looking for his block, smh. He’s a wall-off blocker; there’s no power to his game. If you notice a lot of our negative run plays come with penetration on the left side.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
This video confirms my impressions of the game I watched on TV. The OL is getting beat up. First watch Tyron. He does not bury guys or drive them out of the hole like Steele did. I don't think it is a right-side, left side thing either. I hope when Steele comes back from injury he is able to continue to drive guys out like he was before.

Notice the difference in blocking DTs vs DE when you watch Tyler Smith. Maybe this is why he could not win the battle of LG over McGovern.

The Titans like a certain type of defensive lineman, not the quick twitchy guys who shoot gaps. They like the big strong powerful DTs who are not easily pushed off their spot. They take up blockers and allow the LBs to come up and make the plays close to the LOS. They also get off their blocks. Even Zack Martin had trouble holding his blocks against them. This is what Dallas is missing. It is not something they can fix now but it is something I wish they would fix in the future.

You have to admire the way the Titans play defense. They are very physical and they all get to the ball quickly. The 49ers play a similar style of defense only they have better DBs.
Meh, Titans were healthy when they played Philly and were not at all effective.
Dallas didn’t really open up the playbook for Teneesee. If they did I think they would’ve easily hit a 40 burger

75boyz

Reaction score

Really nice post and physical style defense comparison description to the 49ers which I thought was spot on.
Sometimes simple matchups and coaching philosophy just do not favor the Cowboys.
I think SF's dline/front 7 would make this current Dallas oline look very bad.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Our OL struggles against power DLs. We are ok vs speed/athletic types. But we really lack punch at times and McGovern has the lightest touch of all our OL

Hopefully Biadasz has a miracle healing turnaround. McG’s best position is LG, and Peters is best used as a rotational player.

Tyron is still knocking the rust off as well— but I am confident he will be up to speed by playoffs.

Creeper

Reaction score
Meh, Titans were healthy when they played Philly and were not at all effective.
Dallas didn’t really open up the playbook for Teneesee. If they did I think they would’ve easily hit a 40 burger

I don't disagree, but I am looking at individual battles on the LOS. I saw the same issues in the Jags game.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
I don't disagree, but I am looking at individual battles on the LOS. I saw the same issues in the Jags game.
Honestly even when we had good games, I never actually thought I saw our oline being dominant or moving guys. I’ve felt our oline play has been average at best for a couple of years now. I think our skilled guys and Daks improvising has made them look better than they are but they’re just not that good. That’s why our trick plays fail miserably. That’s why our screen game sucks. I would definitely not impose goin with trenches day one and two in the draft