Video: Film Study: Analyzing Cowboys Connor McGovern at Center

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't get why they moved Tyler back inside. Makes no sense to me *unless* they were putting Tyron at LT.
Moving Peters inside o LG seems the most obvious fit. Older, slower, but very strong player. Can help out the C with the calls.
At LT, I'd say Tyron, Tyler, then Peters.
Tyler has.played guard. Peter's hasn't.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This video confirms my impressions of the game I watched on TV. The OL is getting beat up. First watch Tyron. He does not bury guys or drive them out of the hole like Steele did. I don't think it is a right-side, left side thing either.
No, the video does not "confirm" that at all.

Tyron was good.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Dudes needs to work on their technique.

foot work looks bad. They are leaning and getting shoved around.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
This video confirms my impressions of the game I watched on TV. The OL is getting beat up. First watch Tyron. He does not bury guys or drive them out of the hole like Steele did. I don't think it is a right-side, left side thing either. I hope when Steele comes back from injury he is able to continue to drive guys out like he was before.

Notice the difference in blocking DTs vs DE when you watch Tyler Smith. Maybe this is why he could not win the battle of LG over McGovern.

The Titans like a certain type of defensive lineman, not the quick twitchy guys who shoot gaps. They like the big strong powerful DTs who are not easily pushed off their spot. They take up blockers and allow the LBs to come up and make the plays close to the LOS. They also get off their blocks. Even Zack Martin had trouble holding his blocks against them. This is what Dallas is missing. It is not something they can fix now but it is something I wish they would fix in the future.

You have to admire the way the Titans play defense. They are very physical and they all get to the ball quickly. The 49ers play a similar style of defense only they have better DBs.
And their best DT Simmons wasn't even playing. That guy's a beast and the kind of guy we need.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Cowboys should sign JC Tretter now and get him ready for playoffs.

McGovern as FT center is not going to be good, especially vs playoff teams.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Tyron is still knocking the rust off as well— but I am confident he will be up to speed by playoffs.

Tyron would be "knocking off the rust" if they played him at LT. At RT, he's relearning a position.

We've got 3 LTs, 2 of whom we have signed for next year, and we're playing the 40 year old short timer who hasn't been playing more than 30% of games at LT. We're just not that bright.

Meanwhile, we're completely sitting our designated backup RT going into the season. Ball had his struggles in pass blocking, but showed something in run blocking.

They practiced all camp with Tyron at LT, Tyler at LG, and Ball as backup RT. How did that become a bad idea?

Because Peters, who we wouldn't play for more than 30% of a game, will be such a spectacular 100% LT?

quickccc

Reaction score
Really nice post and physical style defense comparison description to the 49ers which I thought was spot on.
Sometimes simple matchups and coaching philosophy just do not favor the Cowboys.
I think SF's dline/front 7 would make this current Dallas oline look very bad.

plus has had very little rep and preparation at the center spot.
he's gonna struggle as Conner does not have a great deal of experience and the better teams are gonna take care of that.
but we have little choice at this point. and we have to go best five.

and its not like Tyler Smith will not have his share of struggles too, as he has not been playing OG this reg season so it will be some
stubbles in reads and reactions.
But its about patchwork and adjust as injuries come.