Video: Film Study: Cowboys' Damone Clark Showed Massive Upside vs. Bears

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Wrong. D-Law's responsibility is containment around the edge and the QB. Damone Clark's responsibility was the runner running inside right along his gap assignment. Clark bit on everyone slanting right, thus allowing the Olineman to block him out of the way.

I could be wrong here, but I believe this resource is a pretty good example of defending an inside zone run, which is essentially what we were looking at here. The particular incarnation of the zone run here is what is called a stretch G.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2072415-nfl-101-introducing-the-zone-running-game

As an unblocked backside defensive end, you typically will be responsible to eliminating that cutback lane while also respecting the boot and stringing it along toward the sideline the best you can if it is kept by the QB. It really is not an enviable position to be in with a QB as fast as Fields, but Lawrence made the mistake of getting too far upfield vs playing a little bit more laterally in this case. He is essentially in no mans land at this point and not in position to make either play.

I am not aware of what the defensive scheme was on this particular down, so maybe this is all useless, but I honestly do think that DQ would be telling both DLaw and Clark that they both did not play that one correctly.

rags747

Reaction score
Cocks in the preseason looked like his knee was not 100%, maybe he is a future Kearse?

jrumann59

Reaction score
They don’t need to have to tell him, he knows his assignments, he just guessed wrong. It happens.
Yes but sometimes players need reminding or reinforcing of their assignments, they get caught up in the flow and sometimes think they are superman.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Did not realize he played as much as he did.

He needs to do much better to supplant LVE.

stuckindc

Reaction score
Yes but sometimes players need reminding or reinforcing of their assignments, they get caught up in the flow and sometimes think they are superman.
Agreed. And that was a huge miss. But you are correct. 100%. He usually is good in that situation

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Clark is actually the 7th player to wear 33 since Tony Dorsett left, so it's not unprecedented.