Video: Film Study: Cowboys' Damone Clark Showed Massive Upside vs. Bears

Pass2Run

Reaction score
It seems they like Clarke a lot to put him over cox. Damone should have went high in the draft. It’s great to see him playing already. With Barr injury he played the whole second half. It was great to see. Hope he continues this weekly.

Fore sure.

I'm thinking he'll likely play over Barr, because if you look at the film objectively Barr is the weak link on the LB core.

Wow!! GREAT CONTENT!!:clap:

Clark's recognition that he had the flats on the last play featured:hammer:

How often do we see LVE or any other average LB get caught looking and end up tailgating the RB into the Endzone.

I hope Quinn resets the Defense at the Bye and puts roles up for grabs. Watching LVE's run fits in traffic is nerve raking for a guy that size!!

If LVE simply engaged and fell.down...the pile up would clog a running lane.

But Damone looks promising

I honestly have no idea what some of you are seeing with LVE. There was a thread about him where the OP kept replying to make it seem like there was something to it. But about 90 percent of people disagreed. Since that thread, more and more are starting to parrot this nonsense about LVE and "Vandertrash."

It's really silly.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I liked how Clark played the first snap he reviewed. The third snap is the issue I have with LVE. He catches blockers and waits for the play to go past him in pursuit. In certain situations as an LB you have to win the point of attack, beat the RB to a spot and disrupt the running lane.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't listen too much to the commentary. I watch the videos and see what my eye show me. My first and overall reaction to Clark is he is quicker and faster than Barr. There are not enough plays to judge whether he gets off blocks better yet. I do wonder how long Barr will be out and if he is healthy will he get back on the field or will Clark Wally Pipp him?

Some other things I saw. LVE is pretty consistent in the way he plays. Makes a play, gets lost on 2 others. I don't know what is up with him. In this video, he completely blows the recognition but still manages to be 20 yards downfield to make the tackle on the opposite side of the field. His pursuit is good in any case.

The long run by the Bears RB to advantage of missed tackles by Bland and Mukuamu. You wonder if Lewis and Hooker were playing if that play would have gone for 36 yards.

Watching Hankins changed my mind. On the TV telecast I thought he made some good plays stuffing the OGs and C but in this video I got a different perspective. It's one game and his first as a Cowboys so maybe he is playing with some uncertainty, but maybe this is why the Raiders were willing to trade him too. He didn't cost much so its not a huge mistake if he sucks but we'll have to see.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Fore sure.

I'm thinking he'll likely play over Barr, because if you look at the film objectively Barr is the weak link on the LB core.

I honestly have no idea what some of you are seeing with LVE. There was a thread about him where the OP kept replying to make it seem like there was something to it. But about 90 percent of people disagreed. Since that thread, more and more are starting to parrot this nonsense about LVE and "Vandertrash."

It's really silly.
100% he is. Lve has played well at moments

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
He's wearing one hell of a number, i'll give him that.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
This guy is a total idiot! Sorry but I have questioned his previous videos because it's clear he picks favorites and actually lies in order to prop them up, instead of being honest and calling those particular players out for messing up on those particular plays. This guy is totally wrong by deflecting blame on Damone Clark, even though we can all see Clark was responsible for those costly plays. Then this fool interpreter has the audacity to say that everyone questioning him are wrong but he is right just because he says so, even though once again, the tape is proving him wrong.

He's not an idiot, though.

Not sure why you'd say that, really. He's just breaking down some general aspects of playing football. Nothing to detailed and technical, and he's an informed content maker. And more interesting than the Skip Bayless and Shannon Sharpes of the world.

Nobody is perfect, but he's clearly not an idiot.

Like, you're attacking him in generalities without giving an actual example, which I've learned is your MO.

Feeling based response.

Zman5

Reaction score
BTW, I think the guy who's reviewing the film is a Raiders fan as he has another channel that has Raiders content only.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
He's not an idiot, though.

Not sure why you'd say that, really. He's just breaking down some general aspects of playing football. Nothing to detailed and technical, and he's an informed content maker. And more interesting than the Skip Bayless and Shannon Sharpes of the world.

Nobody is perfect, but he's clearly not an idiot.

Like, you're attacking him in generalities without giving an actual example, which I've learned is your MO.

Feeling based response.
I could break down the plays that he's interpreting wrong, but you guys won't listen. He even stated that other commenters on his videos tell him he's wrong, but he refutes them just because he feels he knows more than them, even though the tape clearly shows he's wrong.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This guy is a total idiot! Sorry but I have questioned his previous videos because it's clear he picks favorites and actually lies in order to prop them up, instead of being honest and calling those particular players out for messing up on those particular plays. This guy is totally wrong by deflecting blame on Damone Clark, even though we can all see Clark was responsible for those costly plays. Then this fool interpreter has the audacity to say that everyone questioning him are wrong but he is right just because he says so, even though once again, the tape is proving him wrong.

I actually thought this break down was very fair. Of course, there are a few different ways to see any play, but I think Clark played a fine game based on some of the analysis I've seen and shows quite a bit of promise.

If you're referring to the 12 yard TD, that is almost expressly on DLaw breaking contain and being totally undisciplined. Any football coach would tell you that.

jrumann59

Reaction score
So either this guy is full of crap or he doesn't know as much as he tries to pass off. That criticism on DLaw is correct in a vacuum with no other context. Except earlier in the game DLaw crashed down and lost contain, I am sure the coaches are telling him if it looks like fields has the ball he does not get out side of you.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I actually thought this break down was very fair. Of course, there are a few different ways to see any play, but I think Clark played a fine game based on some of the analysis I've seen and shows quite a bit of promise.

If you're referring to the 12 yard TD, that is almost expressly on DLaw breaking contain and being totally undisciplined. Any football coach would tell you that.
Wrong. D-Law's responsibility is containment around the edge and the QB. Damone Clark's responsibility was the runner running inside right along his gap assignment. Clark bit on everyone slanting right, thus allowing the Olineman to block him out of the way.

stuckindc

Reaction score
So either this guy is full of crap or he doesn't know as much as he tries to pass off. That criticism on DLaw is correct in a vacuum with no other context. Except earlier in the game DLaw crashed down and lost contain, I am sure the coaches are telling him if it looks like fields has the ball he does not get out side of you.
They don’t need to have to tell him, he knows his assignments, he just guessed wrong. It happens.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I’m surprised they let anyone wear TD’s 33. I understand they don’t officially retire numbers, But that’s not any number.
With a larger practice squad there just aren't many numbers not being used. They don't let anyone on offense wear 33 only defense.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I don't listen too much to the commentary. I watch the videos and see what my eye show me. My first and overall reaction to Clark is he is quicker and faster than Barr. There are not enough plays to judge whether he gets off blocks better yet. I do wonder how long Barr will be out and if he is healthy will he get back on the field or will Clark Wally Pipp him?

Some other things I saw. LVE is pretty consistent in the way he plays. Makes a play, gets lost on 2 others. I don't know what is up with him. In this video, he completely blows the recognition but still manages to be 20 yards downfield to make the tackle on the opposite side of the field. His pursuit is good in any case.

The long run by the Bears RB to advantage of missed tackles by Bland and Mukuamu. You wonder if Lewis and Hooker were playing if that play would have gone for 36 yards.

Watching Hankins changed my mind. On the TV telecast I thought he made some good plays stuffing the OGs and C but in this video I got a different perspective. It's one game and his first as a Cowboys so maybe he is playing with some uncertainty, but maybe this is why the Raiders were willing to trade him too. He didn't cost much so its not a huge mistake if he sucks but we'll have to see.

I do agree that he's not perfect. I've seen him make the wrong read, but it's easier said then done when you're actually out there. Some guesswork even. He's athletic enough and savvy enough to be out there, and not cost us too much, financially or in terms of points and production.

That's what I like about him.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I was pretty impressed considering he’s a rookie that had no camps, who just started practicing and he was in his first action. And it wasn’t really planned… he had to go in for Barr.

He definitely showed some pretty good LB instincts, typically maintaining his gap and moving towards the ball. One thing for sure is that he has great athleticism and really good size. He just might be a damn good player.

I don’t know if it’ll be this season or not, but he could become an impact player at LB.

Heck, he might even be good at rushing the QB. If he has a knack for getting to the passer, Dallas might really have something there. If so… that’ll make a very good defense even harder to deal with.

Overall, I’m very pleased with his first action and a little surprised.