Video: Film Study on Damone Clark

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
To me, he's Bradie James w/o the instincts.
Different players to me. Bradie was a great tackle box to tackle thumper that had limited range. Very good for a traditional 3-4. I think Clarke is more in the Van Jaylon mold

Wangchung83

Reaction score
I think what should’ve been talked about is our edge and the corners not getting to spots ie bland in this video. The other point that was briefly talked about is they pick Clark up and Ive is you open guy. Feel the reason for this is bc lve is step slow which means the will have success in rb beating to spots if that makes sense. The plays I’ve seen where both are on the field shows Clark being blocked and lve open and unblocked, it’s just lve can’t get to spots without anticipation; he has no room for error. Damone is about as good as I thought he would be at this point in his career. Nfl offenses are more complex and takes lb a few years to see impact now days. Remember this is only his first season with a ota’s and preseason, he had game experience last year but limited. For all the hype we give parson for going both ways I found this: In his career, Parsons has tallied only eight games with at least 30 snaps at inside linebacker, finishing with just one sack and one multi-pressure performance in those eight games.https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/big-facts-only-one-sack-for-parsons-at-lb
This goes to show that lb is a different animal and very few are going to be Bobby Wagners army this stage in their development. Look at eagles and Nolan Smith they gave up two draft picks to get him and he’s not even ready to take the field. No matter what happens this week, it’s not going to be Clark’s fault as he’s developing. We should expect more from Parsons but I will bet he will play worse than most think at linebacker bc he’s too inexperienced at the position.

blueblood70

Reaction score
What we need is a lb who will attack the los,who offences fear..we haven't had that since 2014 R.M.
First of all elite linebackers are as hard to find as elite players at any position... But if that video shows you anything both L VE and Clark do play well in the box they do attack they just aren't going to be like the elite linebackers those don't grow on trees and like anyone else you can think you're getting one of those in the draft and you just aren't they don't just fall in your lap... And for Dan Quinn's defense that's not what he's looking for in linebackers as you noticed all these hybrids that are playing...

First it was we don't concentrate enough at the safety position now we got that all but resolved then it was we don't draft high enough for defensive line especially nose tackle we go and do that now we get everybody come in here and think that we could just go into every draft and pick a league players out like there's a blueprint and a guarantee just pick a guy and he's gonna come in and be elite just do it I mean just gonna be automatic they're easy to build through the draft and free agency where you just bring in guys and automatically you're in a Super Bowl just mix it up and boom Super Bowl time

note sarcasm that doesn't happen much..

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's an average LB, not as good as LVE. Expect the defense to take a step back. Dude needs to drive forward sooner and not just wait.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
A big question is can Damone step up in the absence of LVE, moreover, can this Dude take that 2nd year leap?

Opportunity knocks for Clark. I haven't been able to really get a solid look at Clark's game this season, so shout-out to the guy that put this together. How do you see Clark, and what's his role will be moving forward?

Typical cowboys player, have a great first season, second season be terrible

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
Huge missing traits: short area quickness and lateral movements. Also listed as slow to recognize route development slow to process info.

Honestly, just never understood the hoopla over this guy.
Come on, the hoopla is that if he hits, Jerry gets to talk about how much of a genius he is for leading his scouting department to a "second round value in the fifth round" as we are constantly reminded.

Otherwise he's just a fifth round linebacker with an injury history.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
From experts who have a much better eye for what will translate to the NFL than fans looking at tape.
Experts aren't either. Experts use current tape. Same with informed fans.

kskboys

Reaction score
Come on, the hoopla is that if he hits, Jerry gets to talk about how much of a genius he is for leading his scouting department to a "second round value in the fifth round" as we are constantly reminded.

Otherwise he's just a fifth round linebacker with an injury history.
and stiff hips and no instincts.

Creeper

Reaction score
Where we have to see Clark excel is dropping back into coverage. LVE is the defensive signal caller which is why he is on the field so much. But he is also tall and has the ability to drop into the center of the field in pass coverage. Statistically, Evans does not do this very well. We'll have to see how Clark does. Jabril Cox was supposed to have good coverage skills. But he never showcased them on the field.

kskboys

Reaction score
Where we have to see Clark excel is dropping back into coverage. LVE is the defensive signal caller which is why he is on the field so much. But he is also tall and has the ability to drop into the center of the field in pass coverage. Statistically, Evans does not do this very well. We'll have to see how Clark does. Jabril Cox was supposed to have good coverage skills. But he never showcased them on the field.
Cox was way too straightlinish to be good in coverage. Maybe he was in in college where there are many athletes who don't turn well, but that doesn't cut it in the NFL.