CFZ Final Roster Thoughts by positional group!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
With our 53 and PS set, here are my thoughts about the positional groups:

QB-probably the best we have seen in many years. Cooper has proven to be a quality #2 QB and Lance also has some starting experience.
RB-Extremely explosive, biggest question is short yardage. Hunter can be that guy or even be that lead blocker.
WR-vastly improved from last yr with the addition of Cooks, Gallup more healthy, Tolbert emerging and even Turpin seeing some time with the offense.
TE-extremely young, but talented. Can they replace Shultz production? What we do know is all three appear to be far better blockers.
OL-very, very scary. All our backups except Edoka are rookies. With Tyron's injury history, baptism by fire might occur. Backup Center remains a concern as well.

DL-probably the deepest unit we have since Quinn became the DC. Why keep Gallimore/Golston over Land? Cause all they have is Osa at the 3T and the likes of Hankins, Mazi come off the field against the pass.
LB-very very scary, just like the OL. Basically 2 starters with neck concerns and 1 2nd year player more known for special teams. Yes, Bell can play some linebacker and Parsons also can play there in a pinch.
CB-more of a concern then many realize. They are fine in the slot, but have depth concerns on the outside. Bland/Muku are far better as slot corners.
S-one of the deepest positional groups on the entire team.

K-always worrisome going with an unproven rookie placekicker. Question is if he struggles, how long will his leash be?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

QB-probably the best we have seen in many years. Cooper has proven to be a quality #2 QB and Lance also has some starting experience.
I thought Michael Irvin summed it up nicely on his new show. Cowboys have the best possible QB situation.

#1 - A good starting QB
#2 - A solid, consistent Backup
#3 - A talented project

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

RB-Extremely explosive, biggest question is short yardage. Hunter can be that guy or even be that lead blocker.
WR-vastly improved from last yr with the addition of Cooks, Gallup more healthy, Tolbert emerging and even Turpin seeing some time with the offense.
TE-extremely young, but talented. Can they replace Shultz production? What we do know is all three appear to be far better blockers.
OL-very, very scary. All our backups except Edoka are rookies. With Tyron's injury history, baptism by fire might occur. Backup Center remains a concern as well.

DL-probably the deepest unit we have since Quinn became the DC. Why keep Gallimore/Golston over Land? Cause all they have is Osa at the 3T and the likes of Hankins, Mazi come off the field against the pass.
LB-very very scary, just like the OL. Basically 2 starters with neck concerns and 1 2nd year player more known for special teams. Yes, Bell can play some linebacker and Parsons also can play there in a pinch.
CB-more of a concern then many realize. They are fine in the slot, but have depth concerns on the outside. Bland/Muku are far better as slot corners.

K-always worrisome going with an unproven rookie placekicker. Question is if he struggles, how long will his leash be?
Good summary of position groups. The OL and LB groups are thin. And the K is a huge question mark. We certainly have an excellent roster on paper but paper doesn’t count. This is the best overall roster we’ve had in years.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

You guys and this short yardage nonsense.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don’t see corner as an issue unless injuries hit hard.

But that can be said for nearly any position group on any team.

Bottom line…..getting breaks as far as health is just as important as executing on the field.

People can talk all the crap they want about Prescott, but when he went down in 2020 the season was over, as would this one most likely be. That can’t happen.

If they get lucky with health along the OL, they have a chance to win it all. They will be in the conversation anyway. I think the powers that be are much more comfortable with the OL depth than fans are.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Solid job, OP!
The LBs are a concern to me as well, just wish they added a vet.
The backup Outside CBs are not good, so I hope DQ puts Mukuamu in over those guys.

Reaction score

I like your optimism.

QB - Biggest concern is that Dak isn't a good enough QB to elevate the franchise to championship level (no matter the pieces around him).
RB - I'm concerned that Tony Pollard won't last a full season and you are relying on unproven backups.
WR - Agree with you...the WR room does look better especially if Gallup comes back healthy
TE - Agree...cross your fingers the young players can contribute
OL - RT is my main concern - is Steele healthy?

DT - really good potential but Mazi and Hankins have to help plug up the run game, I'm not sold on Demarcus Lawrence playing at high level at DE and with Sam Williams legal troubles there is a ? at DE, especially on running game containment
LB - Not concerned
CB - pretty good shape there too
S - Not concerned..agree with you
K - Who knows?lol

fivetwos

Reaction score
Not a terrible summary, but I am so sick of hearing about short-yardage RBs.

THEY DO NOT MATTER. Good offenses don't have them.
Awww come on.

When big Mike goes for it on 4th and 2 from his own 38 on the opening drive, gotta hand it to Luepke right up the gut.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Not a terrible summary, but I am so sick of hearing about short-yardage RBs.

THEY DO NOT MATTER. Good offenses don't have them.
Short Yardage:

Trey Lance in the Wildcat...

Seriously.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

You are afraid of injuries. The Cowboys have one the best offensive lines and secondaries in the NFL. I like Richards at left tackle, will be the starter next season. Best secondary we have had since 95. No team can compete with Diggs, Gilmore, Bland, Lewis and Isreal as cornerbacks depth. Linebacker is the only real concern but the Cowboys have the ultimate weapon Parsons who can play the position in a pinch.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You are afraid of injuries. The Cowboys have one the best offensive lines and secondaries in the NFL. I like Richards at left tackle, will be the starter next season. Best secondary we have had since 95. No team can compete with Diggs, Gilmore, Bland, Lewis and Isreal as cornerbacks depth. Linebacker is the only real concern but the Cowboys have the ultimate weapon Parsons who can play the position in a pinch.
Way too premature on Richards, it's one thing to play in the preseason against vanilla fronts, different animal in season. I believe if one of our corners go down, we could be back to last season wants again when Brown got hurt. Bland just isn't as good as an outside corner and we have nothing outside of him.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Short Yardage:

Trey Lance in the Wildcat...

Seriously.
That certainly would work. I am thinking Lance becomes a great scout QB for our defense as they struggled badly with the read option QB's last season. He can simulate much better to play against that type of QB.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Way too premature on Richards, it's one thing to play in the preseason against vanilla fronts, different animal in season. I believe if one of our corners go down, we could be back to last season wants again when Brown got hurt. Bland just isn't as good as an outside corner and we have nothing outside of him.
You can say the same thing about any rookie. Richards will get the call first when Tyron goes down.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
That's why they traded for Igbinoghene

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I thought Michael Irvin summed it up nicely on his new show. Cowboys have the best possible QB situation.

#1 - A good starting QB
#2 - A solid, consistent Backup
#3 - A talented project
That should be the setup every year

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
That certainly would work. I am thinking Lance becomes a great scout QB for our defense as they struggled badly with the read option QB's last season. He can simulate much better to play against that type of QB.
Are you able to play a third QB if injuries haven't occurred to the first two? I thought they either had to be on the 45 man gameday roster or used in emergency situations only