CFZ Final Roster Thoughts by positional group!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You are afraid of injuries. The Cowboys have one the best offensive lines and secondaries in the NFL. I like Richards at left tackle, will be the starter next season. Best secondary we have had since 95. No team can compete with Diggs, Gilmore, Bland, Lewis and Isreal as cornerbacks depth. Linebacker is the only real concern but the Cowboys have the ultimate weapon Parsons who can play the position in a pinch.
Once tyron goes down we have all seen what happens to the oline play.

coult44

Reaction score
With our 53 and PS set, here are my thoughts about the positional groups:

QB-probably the best we have seen in many years. Cooper has proven to be a quality #2 QB and Lance also has some starting experience.
RB-Extremely explosive, biggest question is short yardage. Hunter can be that guy or even be that lead blocker.
WR-vastly improved from last yr with the addition of Cooks, Gallup more healthy, Tolbert emerging and even Turpin seeing some time with the offense.
TE-extremely young, but talented. Can they replace Shultz production? What we do know is all three appear to be far better blockers.
OL-very, very scary. All our backups except Edoka are rookies. With Tyron's injury history, baptism by fire might occur. Backup Center remains a concern as well.

DL-probably the deepest unit we have since Quinn became the DC. Why keep Gallimore/Golston over Land? Cause all they have is Osa at the 3T and the likes of Hankins, Mazi come off the field against the pass.
LB-very very scary, just like the OL. Basically 2 starters with neck concerns and 1 2nd year player more known for special teams. Yes, Bell can play some linebacker and Parsons also can play there in a pinch.
CB-more of a concern then many realize. They are fine in the slot, but have depth concerns on the outside. Bland/Muku are far better as slot corners.
S-one of the deepest positional groups on the entire team.

K-always worrisome going with an unproven rookie placekicker. Question is if he struggles, how long will his leash be?
Good work, but don’t take this wrong. You’re another guy stuck in 1995. Who cares about short yardage RBs. This is 2023 and we have data to prove how useless short yard RBs are. Everything else is 100%

CCBoy

Reaction score
Patrik: This is a challenging one to answer when I know for a fact the roster is still not settled, i.e., the practice squad must be constructed (16 players), waiver claims, etc. over the remainder of the week. That said, I would like to see the team address the situation at backup center (there currently isn't one on the roster at the time of my reply here) and linebacker depth is a serious concern right now. I'm interested in seeing if Dallas will grab a waived linebacker from outside of the building — Christian Kirskey comes to mind — though I don't expect they'll go out of their way to make a big splash when considering just how difficult their cutdowns were in the first place. The team is absolutely stacked at nearly every position, OL depth and LB depth notwithstanding, and that's a great position to be in, overall.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-what-positions-could-still-use-help

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Good work, but don’t take this wrong. You’re another guy stuck in 1995. Who cares about short yardage RBs. This is 2023 and we have data to prove how useless short yard RBs are. Everything else is 100%
Dak isn't great in those situations, but he needs to get better. Many teams employ a power back for short yardage/goal line scenarios.

quickccc

Reaction score
With our 53 and PS set, here are my thoughts about the positional groups:

QB-probably the best we have seen in many years. Cooper has proven to be a quality #2 QB and Lance also has some starting experience.
RB-Extremely explosive, biggest question is short yardage. Hunter can be that guy or even be that lead blocker.
WR-vastly improved from last yr with the addition of Cooks, Gallup more healthy, Tolbert emerging and even Turpin seeing some time with the offense.
TE-extremely young, but talented. Can they replace Shultz production? What we do know is all three appear to be far better blockers.
OL-very, very scary. All our backups except Edoka are rookies. With Tyron's injury history, baptism by fire might occur. Backup Center remains a concern as well.

DL-probably the deepest unit we have since Quinn became the DC. Why keep Gallimore/Golston over Land? Cause all they have is Osa at the 3T and the likes of Hankins, Mazi come off the field against the pass.
LB-very very scary, just like the OL. Basically 2 starters with neck concerns and 1 2nd year player more known for special teams. Yes, Bell can play some linebacker and Parsons also can play there in a pinch.
CB-more of a concern then many realize. They are fine in the slot, but have depth concerns on the outside. Bland/Muku are far better as slot corners.
S-one of the deepest positional groups on the entire team.

K-always worrisome going with an unproven rookie placekicker. Question is if he struggles, how long will his leash be?

Thanks for Sharing ..

- Cook’s addition, Tolbert’s improvement and Gallup’s recovery will make it a much more improved unit than counting on Ty Hilton, Noah Brown and Dennis Houston per last year. Turpin role in pass game designs I can see as only 1 to 2 catches per game. Lamb is gonna be Lamb.
Cook’s speedy dimension is what’s gonna help set the bar, imo Tolbert needed when Gallup gets nicked again.

- Run game will be schemed to cut back lanes and splash plays by our RBs, we will exploit our RBs more in pass game under Mac. If healthy and scheme up Pollard gonna be Caffrey, early Kamara like explosive for us .

- I don’t see CB a concern at all, so long as they stay healthy.
I’ll trust Gilmore far more than Brown, Diggs is Diggs, and Bland should be even a better 3rd CB than
what he was as a rookie .
Add in vet backup slot help with Lewis and it’s not just among the best, It’s the best CB unit in NFL.

- LB is gonna be THE biggest concern, imo. Super thin and we know it’s a matter of time before LVE is out per injury, then it’s down to just Clark. Hope Harper emerges as a surprise gem. Bell as a “ LB”? Team not interested in vets Barr nor Deion Jones.

- FG kicker ? Cross our fingers - at some point, we cannot keep rental kicker every year.

J-man

Reaction score
Good post
I agree with just about everything but will add that I also worry about Tony coming off that injury, like many players before him such as Gallop last season, he may not come back and be his normal quick/slashing self this year.

shabazz

Reaction score

Dak will be fine this season. It is that game in the playoffs that will seal his fate again!
7 seasons and a 2-4 playoff record isn’t a big enough sample size for some to admit what’s obvious to unbiased people…..unless they are discussing other quarterbacks.

If you asked them about Romo or Kirk Cousins ,who have nearly identical regular season and playoff stats, they would insist they were both garbage but still insist Rayne Dakota is better than both of them…hilarious.