Final throw of the game

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
Only option?? You could go underneath taking what the defense is giving you with someone like Austin. Something similar to what KC did to us

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I guess no one saw the blitzer coming in putting the hit on Dak as he was releasing it? There were 2 seconds on the clock not much you will do in that situation but put it up and hope.
If we didn't have that 10 second runoff we might have been in better position.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have seen worse too and I was yelling for a flag, but the review showed a good play/hit by the defender
I didn't see an angle that showed if his helmet caught Dak under the chin, but it looked like it might have, and Dak seemed to react as if it did.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I have seen worse too and I was yelling for a flag, but the review showed a good play/hit by the defender
I don’t blame the refs for not calling it. That while play was never going to get us anything. If there was no flag we weren’t going to win. I was adding up the yards wondering if we should have tried the FG. Looked to be a record long attempt. But maybe was a better chance of winning.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
No one was open. It was a desperation throw.

erod

Reaction score
Man, that was a weak heave.

I thought Maher had a much better chance to kick it 70 yards than Dak had to throw it 55 yards.

Aven8

Reaction score
Might have been the best call I’ve ever seen on a Hail Mary. Slot blitz was genius.

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
I didn't see that, but if that happened it should've been called.

Could be wrong, only watched the replay once but pretty sure. But like I said, I hardly ever see them call it on a hail Mary unless someone gets tackled. Makes me wonder how a challenge would go in that situation. Only problem is you most likely wouldn't ever have any T.O's left.. Perfect situation for it though

Carson

Reaction score
Both were low probability, but you gotta think a 70 yard FG from big leg Maher was a little more likely than a Dak Hail Mary.

We know if we kicked that and he missed we’d all be mad saying throw the Hail Mary lmao

Could be wrong, only watched the replay once but pretty sure. But like I said, I hardly ever see them call it on a hail Mary unless someone gets tackled. Makes me wonder how a challenge would go in that situation. Only problem is you most likely wouldn't ever have any T.O's left.. Perfect situation for it though

No challenges allowed under two minutes for that sadly

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Inside 2 minutes, I don't think you can challenge anyway, even for a PI.

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
I didn't see that, but if that happened it should've been called.

On second thought... I'm watching it again and have no idea what I'm talking about. Obviously not the last bomb.

There is some other point we threw one deep into the endzone correct? I feel like i'm losing it

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm confused, so you wanted them to throw it underneath and try laterals? I don't think they were expecting that blitz so the receivers were already set on running go routes.

No necessarily laterals, but to understand the situation better. The announcers were talking about how Dak would need to hold the ball longer and possibly run around if they wanted to try to throw the Hail Mary. New Orleans knew this and brought the blitz. Dallas knew this and didn't do anything to counter it.

Plus, we've seen Dak throw Hail Marys and come up short of the end zone before. Why throw a jump ball that's going to land 5 to 10 yards short of the end zone?

Better planning would have been to understand that a) the receivers aren't going to be able to get to the end zone fast enough and b) Dak isn't likely going to be able to throw it that far, so do something else.

I would either have thrown a screen, putting a convoy of players in front of Zeke and given him a chance to try to win in the open field or, more likely, thrown about a 15-yard pass to an underneath receiver and let the blockers and tight ends try to clear enough space for him to break away. I might have even ran him down the sideline, then had him flip the ball to Austin going back across the field.

Something more like this: