Final throw of the game

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Dennis Allen brought a nice corner blitz on that play. We didn't have a chance.

It was literally the perfect defensive call for the Saints in that situation.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The game was basically over already. This is why I am being critical of the defense, which played well, but that last drive was a killer. The Saints took the clock down to about 1:36 and forced the Cowboys to use all their time outs. They had to get a stop and get off the field quicker. As it was, they were lucky Bridgewater gave them that horrible sack. I have no idea what the Saints were thinking there.

Then, the sack on Dak to the 3 yard line really killed any serious chance they had to get in FG range. Tough game to lose but between the bad penalties, fumbles, and poor offensive line play they deserved to lose. Was there a bright spot? Maybe the LBs playing better but again we saw the interior offensive line get blown off the ball allowing the Saints to control the ball at the end of the game.

The only criticism I have of the defense in a game where they held the opponent to 12 points was the way that we used the defensive line rotation. The drive after we took the lead, we had Armstrong, Hill, Covington and Hyder out there for almost all of it. I know we have to rest linemen, but we need to be more strategic about it than putting three backups out there together (technically four, but Covington is starting for Woods while he's injured) and allowing New Orleans to take the momentum back.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Dennis Allen brought a nice corner blitz on that play. We didn't have a chance.

It was literally the perfect defensive call for the Saints in that situation.

Against the predictable offensive call that didn't really stand a chance because we were too far away to try it.

Zordon

Reaction score
No necessarily laterals, but to understand the situation better. The announcers were talking about how Dak would need to hold the ball longer and possibly run around if they wanted to try to throw the Hail Mary. New Orleans knew this and brought the blitz. Dallas knew this and didn't do anything to counter it.

Plus, we've seen Dak throw Hail Marys and come up short of the end zone before. Why throw a jump ball that's going to land 5 to 10 yards short of the end zone?

Better planning would have been to understand that a) the receivers aren't going to be able to get to the end zone fast enough and b) Dak isn't likely going to be able to throw it that far, so do something else.

I would either have thrown a screen, putting a convoy of players in front of Zeke and given him a chance to try to win in the open field or, more likely, thrown about a 15-yard pass to an underneath receiver and let the blockers and tight ends try to clear enough space for him to break away. I might have even ran him down the sideline, then had him flip the ball to Austin going back across the field.

Something more like this:

Zeke can't make anyone miss. None of our skill players can except Pollard who was parked on the bench for some reason.

If you look at the replay you will see this was on the oline. Even with the blitz we had 6 guys blocking 4 defenders. We should have been able to handle this. Just a poor poor game from the oline. Seriously, don't get what was the problem with Martin and Fred last night. They had too many communication breakdowns.

3R7NWVF.png

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
I didn't see an angle that showed if his helmet caught Dak under the chin, but it looked like it might have, and Dak seemed to react as if it did.

I figured out what I was recalling. The 2nd and 20 incompletion to Cooper on that final drive. Quad covered and everyone goes up for ball but coop gets his arm held down.

Can't tell from live angle, but on the replay angle is was visible. (DB did sell it well)

Was as the 35 yard line too unfortunately... Only if..

Shane612

Reaction score
Dude, he was being rushed. He didn't have time to hold the ball any longer.
It was a bad game for the Cowboys all around. Period.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Zeke can't make anyone miss. None of our skill players can except Pollard who was parked on the bench for some reason.

If you look at the replay you will see this was on the oline. Even with the blitz we had 6 guys blocking 4 defenders. We should have been able to handle this. Just a poor poor game from the oline. Seriously, don't get what was the problem with Martin and Fred last night. They had too many communication breakdowns.

3R7NWVF.png

No matter about the blocking. We still needed lots of time to be able to get those receivers all the way down field and a stronger-armed QB to get it there. (That's not meant as a knock on Dak. It's a 60-plus-yard throw to get that into the end zone ... if he had been able to hold it at least a couple more seconds to allow the receivers to get there.)

This was a no-percentage throw IMO because it simply never had a chance, even without the blitz. The other way at least gives you a chance even if the odds are heavily against you scoring.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Dude, he was being rushed. He didn't have time to hold the ball any longer.
It was a bad game for the Cowboys all around. Period.

I didn't want him to hold the ball any longer. The play-call (Hail Mary) needed him to. Throwing it underneath would have allowed him to get it out quicker.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I have trouble understanding why we tried to fling it all the way to the end zone when we needed to hold the ball longer in order for Dak to get it there and he hasn't really shown in the past that he can get it all the way there.

New Orleans gave us the underneath and decided to bring pressure, we should have dropped the ball and attempted to convoy instead of just outthrowing the receivers in an attempt that had no chance.

Should have thrown it to Devin Smith underneath. Smith better jump ball receiver too.

Coop was too gimpy last night, not getting his usual great separation.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Honestly it's an EXTREMELY low percentage chance at best. Probably best not to wring our hands over this. So if we throw it short and go the convoy route and we toss it around 10 times and that gets shut down... you wanna bet there's not someone creating a Mon Morning thread asking why we didn't fling it? Football is chess and sometimes you lose? They cleverly blitzed a fast DB and ruined the hail mary. The drive really ended after the sack where we also got out maneuvered. We got beat. It was their night.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Honestly it's an EXTREMELY low percentage chance at best. Probably best not to wring our hands over this. So if we throw it short and go the convoy route and we toss it around 10 times and that gets shut down... you wanna bet there's not someone creating a Mon Morning thread asking why we didn't fling it? Football is chess and sometimes you lose? They cleverly blitzed a fast DB and ruined the hail mary. The drive really ended after the sack where we also got out maneuvered. We got beat. It was their night.

I don't consider discussing what we possibly could have tried wringing our hands. Either way, it was most likely going to fail. I think everyone knows that.

dwreck27

Reaction score
Dak got smoked to the ground and he got a no call

refs were bailing anyone out in that situation

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Dak got smoked to the ground and he got a no call

refs were bailing anyone out in that situation

yeah, clearly there was forcible contact to his face. Dak does not complain much when he is hit but he did right away. Give us those 15 and Maher can try a long FG.