Finish off the D

fivetwos

Reaction score
We need Byron Jones.
:(
I think it's clear that the new staff was looking to convert to bigger types to play press.

I wasnt a fan of Jones but I'm not about to trash him.

That said, I don't see how that contract is justified when the guy doesnt get turnovers.

Maybe you see value in his coverage skills, but I'm sure it was just an overall value thing from the teams perspective.

In general I think it's better to invest in a rush to cover a weaker secondary as opposed to the opposite.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not really.

The pass defense was generally very good, and he was a big part of that.
How is the pass defense good when it doesn't get turnovers? Just because the defense plays a bend but don't break defense doesn't mean they were very good. Maranelli had a tendency of tricking and making his defense look good but it wasn't.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Think with the addition of Griffin, we are done. Had 10 million, now with Griffin signing for about 6 - doubt we sign anybody else. Ride or die with what we have ….. and its gonna be a crap-shoot for next years draft if we don't get college football !

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
How is the pass defense good when it doesn't get turnovers? Just because the defense plays a bend but don't break defense doesn't mean they were very good. Maranelli had a tendency of tricking and making his defense look good but it wasn't.
Being limited by the approach of the HC doesn't mean that the defense wasn't good. It did exactly what was asked of it, and Byron was a big part of that.

Turnovers are schematic, not talent.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
We do not need Ryan. Is he that good, don't think so as for what we need. With Griffen and the potential pass rush, they will make the current secondary better.

Totally agree. We also invested in cbs during the draft and signed Dix. Not opposed to bringing Ryan in for the right right price but if he's a safety I'm not sure he's a significant upgrade over our existing options. Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm not panicking with Lewis, Brown, Awuzie, and Diggs either. The veterans have shown they can play and a new coverage scheme should help.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Rocy I don't get you dude lol.

You bang Byron for literally the only thing he isn't elite at, turnovers.

Yet defend Zeke who is only good at racking up rushing yardage on volume, and we think he is good at blocking.

starfan1

Reaction score
I don't know how you can seriously type that and think you made a good point.
Byron Jones is OK. I think hes a bit over rated. I don't think we miss a beat. We had him and our defense still was average not that he was the reason we were average. Im just not super impressed by him. Rogers ate his lunch

starfan1

Reaction score
We had Tyron Smith didn't make a difference.

wont argue that except to say up until the last few years Tyron was literally the best at his position but his back has made things hard on him. And you see Dallas felt strongly enough about him to pay him. Jones not so much. Jones is overrated in my opinion.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
This roster if Fred was full go(we didn't save any CAP with his retirement), and switching out Zeke for Byron or Ramsey would be the favorites in the NFC.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
wont argue that except to say up until the last few years Tyron was literally the best at his position but his back has made things hard on him. And you see Dallas felt strongly enough about him to pay him. Jones not so much. Jones is overrated in my opinion.

Your opinion is based off of one of the best QBs we've ever seen make one play against Byron multiple years ago. You should never evaluate players like that. You likely won't be happy with the performance of any corner in the league in my opinion.

starfan1

Reaction score
Your opinion is based off of one of the best QBs we've ever seen make one play against Byron multiple years ago. You should never evaluate players like that. You likely won't be happy with the performance of any corner in the league in my opinion.

its more than 1 play I mean thats a heck of a play to remember it cost us a trip to the NFCG but ive seen him get used plenty.As have all the CB's now some of it can be schematic but you dont pay a guy like Byron Jones the type money he got when he cant catch a cold. 2 career picks and hes the highest paid CB. The cowboys were absolutely right letting him walk.

Last edited: