Finishing up this year's fa class-DE,WR,SS

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Stephen Jones always says, the Cowboys like to fill all needs via fa so they organization can draft the best player available. As we all know, since he has taken charge, minimum short-term placeholders are signed then the team drafts best player at a need position.

What positions are still needed to fill?

1) RDE-team lost Robert Quinn, Ty Crawford is coming back from injury on both his hips and Randy Gregory still is on indefinite suspension. Sure. some prospects are still on the roster, but nobody can be counted on. Griffen, Vernon, Golden are some of the names of interest out there. Clowney will not be an option.

2) Slot #3 WR-surprisingly the team lost Randall Cobb, very few thought he would double his salary on the open market. You would think the team would like to add a veteran to protect themselves. Gabriel, Richardson, Amedola could all be had for a 1 yr deal.

3) Strong Safety-both the team's projected starters are more coverage safeties then they are strong tackling in the box types. Wilson is the only true strong safety they have on their roster, depth and competition is needed. Jefferson, R. Jones, Burnett all fill the bill as low level signees at the position.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I think at this point we are close enough to the draft that they will wait to see what happens with DE and Safety. There will be several good players like Chaisson at 17 that would be capable of starting at some point in their rookie years. The same for Safety but I don't think the team is worried about having to start Woods and Dix next year. But they likely draft one high.

CB and Swing Tackle are the spots you aren't listing, I think a CB is drafted high but they still look out for veterans to take a one year rebound contract. Its a deep draft for OT so I think they draft a project around the 4th or 5th but still sign an older veteran.

Slot WR could be a guy like Dorsett but I think they definitely take a WR in the draft. McCarthy drafted Randall Cobb in the 2nd round and he was productive right away, its not hard to see that happening with a 3rd or 4th round pick.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Matthews as a defensive end...myself, I would re-ink Michael Bennett.

I would get a top notched slot receiver in the top two rounds. Preferably with the first round and then trade back up for the CB.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Stephen Jones always says, the Cowboys like to fill all needs via fa so they organization can draft the best player available. As we all know, since he has taken charge, minimum short-term placeholders are signed then the team drafts best player at a need position.

1) RDE-team lost Robert Quinn, Ty Crawford is coming back from injury on both his hips and Randy Gregory still is on indefinite suspension. Sure. some prospects are still on the roster, but nobody can be counted on. Griffen, Vernon, Golden are some of the names of interest out there. Clowney will not be an option.

2) Slot #3 WR-surprisingly the team lost Randall Cobb, very few thought he would double his salary on the open market. You would think the team would like to add a veteran to protect themselves. Gabriel, Richardson, Amedola could all be had for a 1 yr deal.

3) Strong Safety-both the team's projected starters are more coverage safeties then they are strong tackling in the box types. Wilson is the only true strong safety they have on their roster, depth and competition is needed. Jefferson, R. Jones, Burnett all fill the bill as low level signees at the position.
I think they wait on RDE because a lot will change when RG is back, decide on TCraw is TBD but they will keep and eye on it,

Cb is a need more so then S, draft and FA Logan ryan is still available and maybe he comes in for less soon because he has to be frustrated and he can be a day 1 starter to replace BJ..

https://www.si.com/nfl/titans/news/tennessee-titans-logan-ryan-still-a-a-free-agent

WR mostly be draft deal but if a FA come in cheap and late post draft sure..

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
When does the, we can sign a player without losing a comp pick, time begin? Cause I'm pretty sure that's what they're waiting on now.

Carson

Reaction score
You have to think of this like Jerry and Stephen do.

RDE - Gregory comes back, Crawford. Armstrong, Jelks, Jackson. We aren’t signing anybody

SS - Woods plays SS now. They drafted Wilson last year. HaHa and Thompson at FS, Woods and Wilson at SS. Doubt we make any moves

WR - This would be logical. But with a loaded draft we could be sitting and waiting.

When does the, we can sign a player without losing a comp pick, time begin? Cause I'm pretty sure that's what they're waiting on now.

If I’m not mistaken, we still have one comp pick we could afford to lose. We are over the amount of picks we can be rewarded

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I honestly don't expect any more FA signings until after the draft. And I expect the draft to address all three of those positions, DE, WR, and SS.

Questfor6

Reaction score
If Clowney doesn't want to sign until training camp he wouldn't count against the comp pick formula then and we'd have more cap space with Frederick designated a June 1st cut. I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket but Jerry could work out a gentleman's agreement with him to wait until then.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

1) RDE - Gregory may be reinstated by the time the draft rolls around. Even if he's not, I expect them to be penciling him in as the starter. With Gregory at minimum a strong possibility of coming back, I don't see them spending a high pick on RDE.

2) Given the need for a WR #3 this year, and a replacement for Gallup in 2022, they avail themselves of a strong WR draft class with a pick in the 3rd or 4th. They shouldn't stop there. They should also bring in a vet true wideout to back up the starters.

3) Low level SS veteran signing does make sense. But it always does and rarely seems to happen, unless we're talking a vet min type guys. But will defensive philosophy change with McCarthy to value SS more, and pick one high? Maybe pick a FS, and move Dix to SS.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I tell you what, if I am Clowney, and I'm frustrated about not getting my big contract, I would look long and hard at what happened with Quinn. He went from a descending player to a massive contract.

I still would not rule out Clowney or Griffen on a one-year prove it deal.

Carson

Reaction score
I tell you what, if I am Clowney, and I'm frustrated about not getting my big contract, I would look long and hard at what happened with Quinn. He went from a descending player to a massive contract.

I still would not rule out Clowney or Griffen on a one-year prove it deal.

Clowney wants 20 million. He won’t settle for anything under 17-18. Somebody will pay

Kaiser

Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken, we still have one comp pick we could afford to lose. We are over the amount of picks we can be rewarded

@ksg811 has us at exactly 4, so another signing would cost us the 6th round comp pick we got for Heath.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/2021-comp-pick-prediction-tracker.454240/page-4

I would be fine with that for the right guy, its basically a 7th and if it was a good DE or CB who signed a decent contract because the initial rush is over, I'd be fine with that.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I think we're good at safety. I don't think we're good at corner but I feel like the Cowboys are comfortable enough with who they have(Awuzie, Lewis, and Anthony Brown). Same with defensive end.

Verdict

Reaction score

I don’t think they MUST fill those positions pre-draft in order to draft BPA. They can fill them post draft or fill them cheaply on the roster cut down to 53. Good older players will be replaced by cheaper drafted players.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have to think of this like Jerry and Stephen do.

RDE - Gregory comes back, Crawford. Armstrong, Jelks, Jackson. We aren’t signing anybody

SS - Woods plays SS now. They drafted Wilson last year. HaHa and Thompson at FS, Woods and Wilson at SS. Doubt we make any moves

WR - This would be logical. But with a loaded draft we could be sitting and waiting.
This sounds right with the positions mentioned in the OP.

The only name that intrigues me is Griffen. For the right price I get him.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think so too but at the same time...I feel like if it was going to happen it would've happened by now. At this point what team can offer him 20 million that will? Seems like a short list.
Nobody will pay 20 at this point, but he will still get 17 from someone.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just my take but it's foolish and down irresponsible to gamble on Randy as your STARTING DE. The fact the new CBA is saying players will no longer face suspension for weed doesn't mean they won't be punished. In other word, players are still not allowed to smoke weed. The only difference now is rather than facing suspension, players and the league will work through a treatment plan to include various stages of testing. Players will now face fines instead of suspension for TESTING POSITIVE. By his own admission, Randy Gregory is a drug addict who CANNOT stop smoking weed and has started only 1 game in 4 years but we're planing a season with him as a starting DE????????

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GregRa00.htm

We can say he's bipolar and/or need it for medical purpose but CBA and/or league makes no mention of it.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...icy-rules-cba-2020/1svd83aq5q0m71x4t2rftto1m5

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...future-in-nfl-ill-be-back-for-good-this-time/

As for the draft, it would be just as irresponsible expecting to draft your starting DE as relying on Gregory IMO, especially in a draft that razor-thin at the position and picking 17th.

Crawford IS NOT an option. Hell, he wasn't a starter before surgeries. Remember the idea is to upgrade (lol).

This is why I believe they have plans A, B and/or C how they're filling the position that has little to do Gregory, Crawford or draft. I'm guessing they are targeting a vet via trade or free agency and waiting for the right time to pull the trigger like they did with McCoy and Poe.

BTW......keep in mind, get Dak's deal done can free up a ton of additional money/cap. It makes you wonder if it's a coincidence they recently reopen talks with Dak.

Just did a little research ......keep an eye on Commanders DE Ryan Kerrigan especially if they draft Chase Young. He's in the last year of his contract that pays $11M for 2020. Guess who his 2019 DE coach was ........you got it, Tomsula.

Last edited:

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Just my take but it's foolish and down irresponsible to gamble on Randy as your STARTING DE. The fact the new CBA is saying players will no longer face suspension for weed doesn't mean they won't be punished. In other word, players are still not allowed to smoke weed. The only difference now is rather than facing suspension, players and the league will work through a treatment plan to include various stages of testing. Players will now face fines instead of suspension for TESTING POSITIVE. By his own admission, Randy Gregory is a drug addict who CANNOT stop smoking weed and has started only 1 game in 4 years but we're planing a season with him as a starting DE????????

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GregRa00.htm

We can say he's bipolar and/or need it for medical purpose but CBA and/or league makes no mention of it.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...icy-rules-cba-2020/1svd83aq5q0m71x4t2rftto1m5

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...future-in-nfl-ill-be-back-for-good-this-time/

As for the draft, it would be just as irresponsible expecting to draft your starting DE as relying on Gregory IMO, especially in a draft that razor-thin at the position and picking 17th.

Crawford IS NOT an option. Hell, he wasn't a starter before surgeries. Remember the idea is to upgrade (lol).

This is why I believe they have plans A, B and/or C how they're filling the position that has little to do Gregory, Crawford or draft. I'm guessing they are targeting a vet via trade or free agency and waiting for the right time to pull the trigger like they did with McCoy and Poe.

BTW......keep in mind, get Dak's deal done can free up a ton of additional money/cap. It makes you wonder if it's a coincidence they recently reopen talks with Dak.

Just did a little research ......keep an eye on Commanders DE Ryan Kerrigan especially if they draft Chase Young. He's in the last year of his contract that pays $11M for 2020. Guess who his 2019 DE coach was ........you got it, Tomsula.

Agree, you are going to put all of your eggs in one basket on Randy starting at RDE and you do not know if he will be reinstated or what kind of shape he is in after 2 years. Really.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Agree, you are going to put all of your eggs in one basket on Randy starting at RDE and you do not know if he will be reinstated or what kind of shape he is in after 2 years. Really.

Exactly.....even if he's reinstated, how reliable will he be week in and week out. At the end of the day, Randy is a drug addict. We have no idea how it's going to impact his ability to consistently play at a high-level while and smoking weed at the same time. Just for the record, I'm a huge fan of is his ability and struggles but there certain facts of reality we can't overlook.