Finishing up this year's fa class-DE,WR,SS

quickccc

Reaction score
1) Gregory *was* our starter for the back half of 2018. He didn't trot out on the first snap of the gamer, but he was getting the majority of the snaps.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GregRa00/fantasy/2018
And that was with having to play himself into shape, only being able to enter team facilities in mid July after a long layoff where he reportedly really let his weight drop. This time, he supposedly kept himself in shape, and should get the reinstatement decision by mid May at the latest.

2) Though Jerry seems to be working hard on it, you can't pay everybody on the offense free agent money. It's only 2nd WR, LG, and C now, and that's only C because Frederick retired. Gallup was over a thousand yards last year. He's gonna get paid, and like a 1, not a 2. I'm assuming that won't be us.

3) On Dix, I think they already said he's FS. I could see us taking a SS high, but that would be a departure from their usual attitude toward SS, which is fill it with a cheap draft pick. Church, Heath, Frazier, Wilson. Wilcox was a 3rd, but I think they got him intending him to be a FS. Unless they change their moves, it's a cheap veteran SS bridge a cheap draft pick, and let them both fight it out with Wilson for the starting spot.

Gregory has only started one game for us since being drafted in 2015.
and who knows how snaps were due much injuries upfront than what coaches preferred.

and enter a facility is different than participating into a full scale off season program.
Its a reason why coaches strongly prefer and preach emphasis to players to work with trainers up close in their own strengthening program vs training on their own.
But unfortunately with his extensive, continuing suspensions that's plagued him since
draft day, he's deprived himself of that needed program.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GregRa00.htm

Last edited:

Carson

Reaction score
I am just not in agreement on the DE position. Gregory is now a legitimate DE going forward. And having Crawford to play on first down there as well make that a strong position over there.

Agreed. Toss in a guy like Armstrong, Jelks, Jackson and the RDE should be ok.

Price is a bit steep for Crawford, but it’s not my place to say what he makes.

Hopefully we can focus on CB and a WR3

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Agreed. Toss in a guy like Armstrong, Jelks, Jackson and the RDE should be ok.

Price is a bit steep for Crawford, but it’s not my place to say what he makes.

Hopefully we can focus on CB and a WR3

Crawford plays on first down and that Dline is about as good as it gets stopping the run. Gregory comes in on 2nd and long and 3rd downs. Best of both worlds. And I believe there is a good chance that Gregory can be a double digit sack guy over there. Very good chance. And you have the guy for cheap. Great cap saving move.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I am just not in agreement on the DE position. Gregory is now a legitimate DE going forward. And having Crawford to play on first down there as well make that a strong position over there.
Crawford is coming off major surgery, I believe with both his hips. Gregory is still suspended, we have no idea when and if he will be reinstated and what kind of condition he is in. Last time he played, he recorded 6 sacks in a season. Team has to cover themselves at the position, just in case.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Crawford is coming off major surgery, I believe with both his hips. Gregory is still suspended, we have no idea when and if he will be reinstated and what kind of condition he is in. Last time he played, he recorded 6 sacks in a season. Team has to cover themselves at the position, just in case.

That is pretty much the worst version of the situation. Bottom line is that Gregory will get reinstated and there is nothing that would get him suspended for going forward. So there is no reason why he wouldnt be our full time DE for the next few years. Now the big question would be is he staying in shape. From what we have heard, he is in great shape. The last time he had 6 sacks in 13 games or whatever it was, he didnt get to goto camp. So with a full training camp I think he will do much better. Another 4 sacks to get to double digits doenst seem like a stretch. I liked the way he played when he did play.

Crawford is coming off surgery so that is a concern. However, at this point, he doesnt have to be a full time starter.

They also have other players that play DE.

MiddleStar

Reaction score
That is pretty much the worst version of the situation. Bottom line is that Gregory will get reinstated and there is nothing that would get him suspended for going forward. So there is no reason why he wouldnt be our full time DE for the next few years. Now the big question would be is he staying in shape. From what we have heard, he is in great shape. The last time he had 6 sacks in 13 games or whatever it was, he didnt get to goto camp. So with a full training camp I think he will do much better. Another 4 sacks to get to double digits doenst seem like a stretch. I liked the way he played when he did play.

Crawford is coming off surgery so that is a concern. However, at this point, he doesnt have to be a full time starter.

They also have other players that play DE.

That is A LOT of ifs.
You sure there isn't anything that can get him suspended? Ask Zeke or anyone that has a DUI. Hell, he isn't even reinstated yet. You trust the commish that much?
Next few year? He is only signed through this year.
Great shape? Like Zeke in Cabo was last year, and that was just training camp, RG has been gone for over a year.
Full Training camp? Is that going to happen for sure?

To pencil RG into the starting lineup is foolish. He wasn't even the starter when he was here. Now he has been gone for a year, and not even back in the league yet, and you want to hand him the starting spot? NO!
Crawford is coming off an injury so he is a question mark too but a better bet than RG.
Depth is Armstrong, and Jackson and maybe Jelks (I think he gets moved to LB)
So even if RG gets back into the league that is 5-6 DEs on the roster, 2 are basically rookies (Jackson & Jelks), 1 is a major injury concern (Crawford), 1 is an injury concern (Lawrence), 1 is a body (Armstrong), and 1 is out of the league and has issues (Gregory).

We need another vet and a rookie at this position, and this is a position that we will need to go heavy on during the season (possibly 6 on the roster).
I would love Clowney but price will be the determining factor, and considering the Cowboys are hell bent on keeping that draft pick for Jones I doubt we get him.
Griffen would be my next choice and the one I hope we sign, but I never get what I want so I probably should hope for someone else.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That is A LOT of ifs.
You sure there isn't anything that can get him suspended? Ask Zeke or anyone that has a DUI. Hell, he isn't even reinstated yet. You trust the commish that much?
Great shape? Like Zeke in Cabo was last year, and that was just training camp, RG has been gone for over a year.

To pencil RG into the starting lineup is foolish. He wasn't even the starter when he was here. Now he has been gone for a year, and not even back in the league yet, and you want to hand him the starting spot? NO!
Crawford is coming off an injury so he is a question mark too but a better bet than RG.
So even if RG gets back into the league that is 5-6 DEs on the roster, 2 are basically rookies (Jackson & Jelks), 1 is a major injury concern (Crawford), 1 is an injury concern (Lawrence), 1 is a body (Armstrong), and 1 is out of the league and has issues (Gregory).

We need another vet and a rookie at this position, and this is a position that we will need to go heavy on during the season (possibly 6 on the roster).
I would love Clowney but price will be the determining factor, and considering the Cowboys are hell bent on keeping that draft pick for Jones I doubt we get him.
Griffen would be my next choice and the one I hope we sign, but I never get what I want so I probably should hope for someone else.

Signing someone to solidify the position is great. Now if you are going to go out and sign a guy like Griffin, great. But then you have to cut Crawford. And Gregory really becomes a non factor. I just dont think Griffin will sign in our price range.

I am just pointing out that going with Crawford and Gregory is not the worst option and could work out just fine.

And as far as Gregory, with the pot clause removed there is no reason to think he will get suspended. He has been a model citizen otherwise. Unlike Zeke.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That is A LOT of ifs.

I guess my overall point in this is that to me, DE is not the most pressing need at this time.

I see CB #1, Center #2, and Safety #3. I can live with what they have at RDE. That would be a pretty stacked line regardless if we just go with what we have now. No doubt they sign someone for depth and take a DE in the draft so I am not too worried about it.

Some of you guys think that DE is the #1 hole and I am just not seeing that. For the reasons I have mentioned.

revospeed

Reaction score
Randy Gregory/Tyrone Crawford will be the starting DE.
Woods, HaHa and Wilson will play safety.
Lance Lenoir will be your slot WR.

We will continue to start subpar players and sit on cap money in order to appear to be shrewd.