Fire Wade this year/Garrett to HC or Fire Wade next and have nothing?

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
The Panch;1906956 said:
Im not so sure Id want a HC who knew his time was coming in a few years, yet made it a point to try to negotiate his way into an early spot(if that's the case) when he's proving as an OC this season alone, he's nowhere near ready to be a HC.

It's human nature to want to advance in your career...I'm not going to hold that against Garrett.

khiladi

Reaction score
YoMick;1906911 said:
0-4 in playoffs

Last team: 14-2 = one and done
This team: 13-3 = one and done

I dont like the pattern.

What pattern is there? He wasn't head coach.

His defense forced 3 interceptions on Brady, and clearly had the game in hand. He didn't fumble the ball after teh final interception, his safety did. His only 'bad' trademark is he tended to go soft-zone to protect the lead, like he did last year. He shouldn't, but they still had the game won from his end.

Here are 5 players right now on defense that were drafting when he was the SD defensive coordinator:

Igor Olshansky
Shaun Phillips
Shawn Merriman
Luis Castillo
Antonio Cromartie

He got to 13-3 with a team that wasn't even his, and made them much better defensively. And he obviously knows enough to draft Cromartie, who led the league in 10 INTs his first season starting...

3 of the 4 losses in the play-offs were really a result of fluke plays. Call it bad luck...

Your not only looking at a good coach, but a talent evaluator. I don't even sweat the loss of Ireland, because I think Wade is gonna have a huge influence in terms of getting faster players on defense.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Per Jerry Jones on the radio today, Wade won't be fired.

Hopefully Garrett will say no to Baltimore.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1906964 said:
I think Garrett may very well be the most overrated coach in the history of the NFL. Did anyone else see what he was doing with the TOless offense and the December offensive meltdown?

The dude is Mike Martz, Jr.

OUCH.

:D

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I think Garrett may very well be the most overrated coach in the history of the NFL. Did anyone else see what he was doing with the TOless offense and the December offensive meltdown?

Why do you have to totally destroy the guy just for trying to better himself?

Weird.

Boysboy

Reaction score

If you bothered to watch the Carolina game, he learned his lesson from the week before and pounded the rock. And if you bothered to watch the Detroit game, it was our DEFENSE that let Jon Kitna, of ALL people, convert third down after third down-the offense was FINE. AND...in the Giants game, the entire team just broke down, just like in our last upteenth playoff games over the last decade.

Mike Martz, Jr? Hardly

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Boysboy;1906977 said:
If you bothered to watch the Carolina game, he learned his lesson from the week before and pounded the rock. And if you bothered to watch the Detroit game, it was our DEFENSE that let Jon Kitna, of ALL people, convert third down after third down-the offense was FINE. AND...in the Giants game, the entire team just broke down, just like in our last upteenth playoff games over the last decade.

Mike Martz, Jr? Hardly

:hammer:

The Panch

Reaction score
Boysboy;1906977 said:

Mike Martz, Jr? Hardly
How much sense did it make to run the ball excessively against a beat down Giants secondary?? Does this O even know how to screen pass??

ConcordCowboy;1906966 said:
It's human nature to want to advance in your career...I'm not going to hold that against Garrett.
The fact is, Garrett really shined cause of the talent he had around him. He accomplished nothing with his QB's in Miami and like Fuzzy said, showed how nieve he really was with his gameplan without T.O. on the field. What's he gonna do in B-More? Turn Troy Smith into Troy Aikman?

khiladi

Reaction score
Boysboy;1906977 said:

How many TDs did that translate into for Jason Garrett????

But, I think the problem anyways was Sparano... I'm glad he's leaving, because our OL can't run-block worth grap, and neither Wade nor jason were in charge of it...

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score
I think you guys should wait until all of your good assistants have left, and THEN fire Wade. Pull a San Diego Chargers . . . Wait, the Chargers are in the conference championship. On second thought, hire the flash in the pan Garrett.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Gurode had some sort of meltdown which put the whole offense out of sync in the fourth quarter. Not Garrett's fault, that one.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1906976 said:
Why do you have to totally destroy the guy just for trying to better himself?

Weird.

Ive maintained this opinion before he started talking of leaving.

he reminds me of Mike Martz and that has nothing to do with him leaving. Give me a OC that understands the dynamic that the running game brings to the table and how to use it.

Garrett is good at calling route combinations that get skilled receivers open and the players like him which are very good qualities but I would take Chow, Turner, Cameron or any other guys like that over him every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

thewivil

Reaction score
YoMick;1906882 said:
Like it or not....

We are at a crossroads.

And what happens if Wade takes us to a Super Bowl next year? Would you still want to fire him or even supplant him with Garrett if he's still here?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Boysboy;1906977 said:

Mike Martz, Jr? Hardly

Martz 'learned his lesson' in Detroit this season as well. I doubt veery seriously you will ever see a Garrett offense that runs the ball remotely close to half the time.

Your comment about the Detroit game and the failings of the defense also demonstrate that you dont understand that dynamic either. Wow the defense didnt play well and we werent running the ball.... Big surprise there.

khiladi

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1907027 said:
Martz 'learned his lesson' in Detroit this season as well. I doubt veery seriously you will ever see a Garrett offense that runs the ball remotely close to half the time.

Well, Garrett is younger, meaning more viable to change... Martz has been doing what he's been doing for years....

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
thewivil;1907024 said:
And what happens if Wade takes us to a Super Bowl next year? Would you still want to fire him or even supplant him with Garrett if he's still here?

Super Bowl?

Lets just start with ONE playoff victory first.

Small steps for Wade.

thewivil

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;1907052 said:
Super Bowl?

Lets just start with ONE playoff victory first.

Small steps for Wade.

Sure, and I agree, but to already presume that Wade's going to be fired after next season is a little premature, don't you think?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
khiladi;1907029 said:
Well, Garrett is younger, meaning more viable to change... Martz has been doing what he's been doing for years....

That is true and very fair. i dont hate Garrett but i really think we as a whole overrate him dramatically. I wouldnt offerhim a HC position as raw as he is. The endo fo the season told me he is not ready for primetime which should be no surprise as he has only coached for three years.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
thewivil;1907057 said:
Sure, and I agree, but to already presume that Wade's going to be fired after next season is a little premature, don't you think?

Oh I was just joking around.

Woods

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1907085 said:
That is true and very fair. i dont hate Garrett but i really think we as a whole overrate him dramatically. I wouldnt offerhim a HC position as raw as he is. The endo fo the season told me he is not ready for primetime which should be no surprise as he has only coached for three years.

This is what I think.

I think Garrett needs at least 1 more year as a co-ordinator.

In fact, after the last month of the season, I was pretty sure that Garrett wasn't going to get many offers. And after the Giants game, I really thought he was staying on for another year.

I think another year of being a coordinator would really help him in the longer term.