First crack at offseason/draft

ccb04

Reaction score
Using a 2nd on a WR in this scenario, is based primarily on having added a DT & safety in free agency.

In terms of the player (Samuel), I outlined what I really like about him...things such as he can play inside or out, contribute on ST's, already runs pretty solid routes, has shown both capability/willingness as a blocker and can be used on gadget plays.

It would certainly be preferable If they could get him without having to trade a late 4th to move up a bit to secure him. I simply think he's one of the better all-around fits for the team at the position...and also that there's a chance he's gone before pick 58 -- particularly if he runs/tests well.

Additionally, despite the trade up, the scenario still adds: 2 DT's, a safety, a WR, a TE, an OT and a RB that would compliment both the pass and run games. The added skill players are capable blockers (something the team puts a premium on)...and several of the players (particularly the S and WR), would upgrade special teams as well.

ccb04

Reaction score
I like the positions of target for FA, just don’t know a ton about the dudes.

If we trade a pick to move up in the draft for a WR I’ll be sick.

Thanks, cnuball21. Now tell us how you really feel about moving up for a WR. :laugh:

conner01

Reaction score
I am not sure why people are so intent on adding Deebo to the point of trading picks to move up to get him.

I like him but not enough to start chasing him in the 2nd round.
This draft has some good slot guys, too many to trade up
I’m not really we can get a good one in the 3rd
Penny or Isabella could be there in the 3rd rnd and both are good slot prospects

conner01

Reaction score
Using a 2nd on a WR in this scenario, is based primarily on having added a DT & safety in free agency.

In terms of the player (Samuel), I outlined what I really like about him...things such as he can play inside or out, contribute on ST's, already runs pretty solid routes, has shown both capability/willingness as a blocker and can be used on gadget plays.

It would certainly be preferable If they could get him without having to trade a late 4th to move up a bit to secure him. I simply think he's one of the better all-around fits for the team at the position...and also that there's a chance he's gone before pick 58 -- particularly if he runs/tests well.

Additionally, despite the trade up, the scenario still adds: 2 DT's, a safety, a WR, a TE, an OT and a RB that would compliment both the pass and run games. The added skill players are capable blockers (something the team puts a premium on)...and several of the players (particularly the S and WR), would upgrade special teams as well.
I like the idea of filling a couple spots in FA that you don’t think are gonna come in the draft
That leaves you open to not worrying about position. Philon would be a nice choice and not crazy expensive

ccb04

Reaction score
My take:
I had to look up who Darius Philon was, can’t fairly comment but I’m all for a FA DT that’s an upgrade on Woods/Collins.

I worry that Adrian Phillips is Jeff Heath MKII. I’d like a guy that can be more more of an upgrade.

Not sure I’d trade up for Deebo but I have him in the mix for our pick at 58. Need to see what he runs at the combine.

Overall it’s in the ball park of what I’d like to see happen. I’d be pretty happy if it all went down like that.

Collins and Woods are the two DT's whom I referenced that are in their contract years in 2019. Overall, I actually like what they got out of Woods in 2018. Collins is a bit frustrating because of the injuries & inconsistency. Philon seems to be coming into his own, and he's still 25 y/o.

I think Phillips is an ascending player, whereas Heath is what he is. Phillips is also lauded by his teammates and coaches for his elite football IQ...using it to his advantage regardless of position or alignment. I do see the similarities in terms of positions played, special teams, etc. Earl would be my preferred option at safety...but I like Phillips if they don't pursue ET due to money.

Would certainly prefer to get Deebo at #58. If he tests well, not sure how much of a possibility that is though. For me, after following the draft & combine for so many years, I quit putting as much emphasis on certain testing. Samuel showed quite well in the SEC despite enduring sub-par QB play.

Thanks for the feedback, Dan.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Free agent signings:
- DT Darius Philon (the 25 y/o stepped in & started 17 games over the past 2 seasons -- posting 64 tackles, 8.5 sacks & 2 forced fumbles...Cowboys have 3 unrestricted free agent DT's this offseason & 2 playing in their contract years in 2019 -- wouldn't mind adding a younger player that has already done a little something in the league, particularly with the expected loss of the talented but unreliable Irving & Collins being injury prone & one of the aforementioned contract year players)

- S Adrian Phillips (as Gus Bradley put it...Phillips has played SS, FS, nickel & dime, and they were comfortable with him no matter where he lined up...he's also a pro bowl ST player -- the 26 y/o was born & raised in Garland, Texas & played at UT)

- RB Jalen Richard (the Raiders may want to retain the versatile/shifty restricted FA...but would make a solid offer)

Re-sign: D-Law, LP, Fleming, R. Smith (instead of a traditional FB ... FB/RB3/ST in this case) ... retain Lee if able to reach a deal that significantly reduces his cap cost...extend Cooper to reduce cap hit

Draft:
2nd: WR Deebo Samuel (possibly my fave WR in the class...possesses a stouter frame...can play inside or out...capable as a blocker & already runs solid routes to varying levels of the field...capable contributor on ST's & can be utilized on gadget plays...additionally, Williams has already been let go, Beasley is expected to sign elsewhere and Hurns is a good candidate for release given his cap number & lesser role)

3rd: TE Isaac Nauta (his blocking alone could help him see the field earlier on & all know how the team values blocking at the position...has some nastiness to his game with some upside as an underutilized pass catcher given UGA's quality/depth of NFL prospects at the WR position)

4th: *use to move up a bit for Samuel if he's within range

4th: DT Daylon Mack (pair him w/ Woods at 1-tech...Philon & Collins could be the primary 3's...D-Law, Crawford, Gregory, Armstrong & Taco, are the DE's)

5th: OT Dennis Daley or Paul Adams
7th: LB Khalil Hodge or possibly best available CB
Deebo, Cooper and Gallup would be an excellent long term WR group. Im all for Deebo in round 2.

At DT, Im hoping they take a look at Malcolm Brown. I think there is still a good amount of upside there. I think he would be an upgrade over Woods, whom I don't hate, but I think is more of a rotational player than a legit starter

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Collins and Woods are the two DT's whom I referenced that are in their contract years in 2019. Overall, I actually like what they got out of Woods in 2018. Collins is a bit frustrating because of the injuries & inconsistency. Philon seems to be coming into his own, and he's still 25 y/o.

I think Phillips is an ascending player, whereas Heath is what he is. Phillips is also lauded by his teammates and coaches for his elite football IQ...using it to his advantage regardless of position or alignment. I do see the similarities in terms of positions played, special teams, etc. Earl would be my preferred option at safety...but I like Phillips if they don't pursue ET due to money.

Would certainly prefer to get Deebo at #58. If he tests well, not sure how much of a possibility that is though. For me, after following the draft & combine for so many years, I quit putting as much emphasis on certain testing. Samuel showed quite well in the SEC despite enduring sub-par QB play.

Thanks for the feedback, Dan.
They play Collins out of position too much. He is a pure 3T that they give too many 1T snaps to due to his size. He is a 290lbs player in a 310lbs players body. Id like to see them just use him at 3T

ccb04

Reaction score
This draft has some good slot guys, too many to trade up
I’m not really we can get a good one in the 3rd
Penny or Isabella could be there in the 3rd rnd and both are good slot prospects

Based on size/skill set...Hart & Isabella are slot only options at the next level, whereas Samuel can play inside or out. I do really like several of the smaller slot guys though, to include Isabella, Dortch, Hart & Renfrow.

Taking size alone (from Senior Bowl weigh-ins):

Samuel: 5-11 1/2, 216 lbs, 10 1/8 hand, 74 1/2 wingspan

Isabella: 5-8 7/8, 186 lbs, 8 1/2 hand, 71 wingspan

Hart: 5-8, 180 lbs, 8 7/8 hand, 72 wingspan

Samuel is built like a thicker RB to assist in mixing it up on the outside. He's also nearly 6-foot vs. 5-8/5-9, with a nearly 75" wingspan. He has huge hands -- only 3 WR's in mobile had hands that measured 10" or larger. One of the others was Jalen Hurd, who measured in at 6-4 3/4 & 227 lbs & had the exact same hand size as Samuel. Samuel is basically only 10-lbs lighter than the nearly 6-5 Hurd (who was the largest WR in mobile), but despite his heavier weight, he possesses the quickness/agility to work in tight spaces & gain separation quickly. Samuel isn't the biggest or fastest WR in the draft, but he's definitely one of the most well-rounded & versatile, IMO.

conner01

Reaction score
Based on size/skill set...Hart & Isabella are slot only options at the next level, whereas Samuel can play inside or out. I do really like several of the smaller slot guys though, to include Isabella, Dortch, Hart & Renfrow.

Taking size alone (from Senior Bowl weigh-ins):

Samuel: 5-11 1/2, 216 lbs, 10 1/8 hand, 74 1/2 wingspan

Isabella: 5-8 7/8, 186 lbs, 8 1/2 hand, 71 wingspan

Hart: 5-8, 180 lbs, 8 7/8 hand, 72 wingspan

Samuel is built like a thicker RB to assist in mixing it up on the outside. He's also nearly 6-foot vs. 5-8/5-9, with a nearly 75" wingspan. He has huge hands -- only 3 WR's in mobile had hands that measured 10" or larger. One of the others was Jalen Hurd, who measured in at 6-4 3/4 & 227 lbs & had the exact same hand size as Samuel. Samuel is basically only 10-lbs lighter than the nearly 6-5 Hurd (who was the largest WR in mobile), but despite his heavier weight, he possesses the quickness/agility to work in tight spaces & gain separation quickly. Samuel isn't the biggest or fastest WR in the draft, but he's definitely one of the most well-rounded & versatile, IMO.
I like Samuels just not enough to trade up
The key to me for a slot guy is small area quickness. But one thing I didn’t like about Beasley is he is so easy to tackle and really can’t do much downfield
The shorter guys tend to be quicker in small areas but some have some ability to break a tackle or go down the seam which I like
I watch Isabella at SR bowl and he is much like Beasley in that in a small area you can’t cover him
Ideally I’d like a guy with return skills since if Austin walks we have no one with any skills
One nice thing about a guy like Damian’s is he has the bulk to take a hit or break a tackle but the speed to use on a jet sweep

ccb04

Reaction score
Deebo, Cooper and Gallup would be an excellent long term WR group. Im all for Deebo in round 2.

At DT, Im hoping they take a look at Malcolm Brown. I think there is still a good amount of upside there. I think he would be an upgrade over Woods, whom I don't hate, but I think is more of a rotational player than a legit starter

Agreed. Think that trio would be outstanding.

Like Brown as well.