First diagnosed case of Ebola in the U.S. *Patient dies*

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This is an interesting article with a like to a paper published by Dr. David Sanders of Purdue University. It suggest that Ebola is capable of Airborne travel but that it simply has not happened as yet. I am not as well versed in a great deal of what this article speaks to but it was very interesting indeed.

http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/rele...rne-transmission-is-not-an-impossibility.html

I have heard him talk before. He said the flu was not always an air born virus but over time as it spread it mutated and became an air born virus. The fear is the more it spreads the more likely it has a chance to mutate

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I have heard him talk before. He said the flu was not always an air born virus but over time as it spread it mutated and became an air born virus. The fear is the more it spreads the more likely it has a chance to mutate

That's not actually what this article is saying, if I understand it. I mean, it does make that point but what I understand it to be saying is the Ebola is already capable of being spread this way. That this mutation has already happened but that it just has not been recorded as yet. I don't know. It's hard to know what is true and what is not at this point. I just thought that this paper was very interesting.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
That's not actually what this article is saying, if I understand it. I mean, it does make that point but what I understand it to be saying is the Ebola is already capable of being spread this way. That this mutation has already happened but that it just has not been recorded as yet. I don't know. It's hard to know what is true and what is not at this point. I just thought that this paper was very interesting.

Airborne transmission has already been documented and proved between non human species, pigs to monkeys, monkeys to monkeys. As of today, no case of Ebola has been proven to have been transmitted airborne in humans. But I question how they really know in Africa exactly how it was transmitted in every case. We don't even know how it was transmitted in the cases of the three nurses here in the US and Spain. In a controlled, heavily monitored situation.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
I know, but that mortality rate, is mostly from a 3rd work country(I think).

The problem might be, If I am correct, the signs are pretty close as the flu, so it might be hard initially to catch.

From what I've read about this particular outbreak, it's been a 50% mortality rate for the health care workers over there. One would think they have a fairly high understanding of symptoms and efficient access to medicine/care, but it's still deadly.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Airborne transmission has already been documented and proved between non human species, pigs to monkeys, monkeys to monkeys. As of today, no case of Ebola has been proven to have been transmitted airborne in humans. But I question how they really know in Africa exactly how it was transmitted in every case. We don't even know how it was transmitted in the cases of the three nurses here in the US and Spain. In a controlled, heavily monitored situation.

I am aware of all of this. What's interesting is that the report specifically identifies Human transference and the how and why of it. I wish I understood more about the actual science being discussed.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I am aware of all of this. What's interesting is that the report specifically identifies Human transference and the how and why of it. I wish I understood more about the actual science being discussed.

Some pathogens are limited in the cell type and location they infect. Influenza, for example, is generally restricted to respiratory epithelial cells, which explains why flu is primarily a respiratory infection and is most likely aerosol transmissible. HIV infects T-helper cells in the lymphoid tissues and is primarily a bloodborne pathogen with low probability for transmission via aerosols.

Ebola virus, on the other hand, is a broader-acting and more non-specific pathogen that can impede the proper functioning of macrophages and dendritic cells—immune response cells located throughout the epithelium.15,16 Epithelial tissues are found throughout the body, including in the respiratory tract. Ebola prevents these cells from carrying out their antiviral functions but does not interfere with the initial inflammatory response, which attracts additional cells to the infection site. The latter contribute to further dissemination of the virus and similar adverse consequences far beyond the initial infection site.

Direct injection and exposure via a skin break or mucous membranes are the most efficient ways for Ebola to transmit. It may be that inhalation is a less efficient route of transmission for Ebola and other filoviruses, as lung involvement has not been reported in all non-human primate studies of Ebola aerosol infectivity.27 However, the respiratory and gastrointestinal systems are not complete barriers to Ebola virus. Experimental studies have demonstrated that it is possible to infect non-human primates and other mammals with filovirus aerosols.25-27

Altogether, these epidemiologic and experimental data offer enough evidence to suggest that Ebola and other filoviruses may be opportunistic with respect to aerosol transmission.28 That is, other routes of entry may be more important and probable, but, given the right conditions, it is possible that transmission could also occur via aerosols.

The potential for transmission via inhalation of aerosols, therefore, cannot be ruled out by the observed risk factors or our knowledge of the infection process. Many body fluids, such as vomit, diarrhea, blood, and saliva, are capable of creating inhalable aerosol particles in the immediate vicinity of an infected person. Cough was identified among some cases in a 1995 outbreak in Kikwit, Democratic Republic of the Congo,11 and coughs are known to emit viruses in respirable particles.17The act of vomiting produces an aerosol and has been implicated in airborne transmission of gastrointestinal viruses.18,19 Regarding diarrhea, even when contained by toilets, toilet flushing emits a pathogen-laden aerosol that disperses in the air.20-22

Experimental work has shown that Marburg and Ebola viruses can be isolated from sera and tissue culture medium at room temperature for up to 46 days, but at room temperature no virus was recovered from glass, metal, or plastic surfaces.23 Aerosolized (1-3 mcm) Marburg, Ebola, and Reston viruses, at 50% to 55% relative humidity and 72°F, had biological decay rates of 3.04%, 3.06%. and 1.55% per minute, respectively. These rates indicate that 99% loss in aerosol infectivity would occur in 93, 104, and 162 minutes, respectively.23

In still air, 3-mcm particles can take up to an hour to settle. With air currents, these and smaller particles can be transported considerable distances before they are deposited on a surface.

To summarize, for the following reasons we believe that Ebola could be an opportunistic aerosol-transmissible disease requiring adequate respiratory protection:

• Patients and procedures generate aerosols, and Ebola virus remains viable in aerosols for up to 90 minutes.
  • All sizes of aerosol particles are easily inhaled both near to and far from the patient.
  • Crowding, limited air exchange, and close interactions with patients all contribute to the probability that healthcare workers will be exposed to high concentrations of very toxic infectious aerosols.
  • Ebola targets immune response cells found in all epithelial tissues, including in the respiratory and gastrointestinal system.
  • Experimental data support aerosols as a mode of disease transmission in non-human primates.
Risk level and working conditions suggest that a PAPR will be more protective, cost-effective, and comfortable than an N95 filtering facepiece respirator.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...ers-need-optimal-respiratory-protection-ebola

Doomsday101

Reaction score
From the CDC’s website:
A low risk exposure includes any of the following:
Household member or other casual contact with an EVD patient.

Providing patient care or casual contact without high-risk exposure with EVD patients in health care facilities in EVD outbreak affected countries.“

How does CDC definecasual contact“?
Casual contact is defined as a) being within approximately 3 feet or within the room or care area for a prolonged period of time while not wearing recommended personal protective equipment or having direct brief contact (e.g., shaking hands) with an EVD case while not wearing recommended personal protective equipment.”

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Just saw on the news, for 2 days after Duncan was at Presbyterian -the second time of course, they wore nothing but standard gown and gloves only during his stay.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Then they screwed up by wearing triple protective garb so another big mistake. I heard earlier about them improvising putting medical tape around their exposed necks and piling the medical waste on the floor. Man that is ridiculous.

Phoenix

Reaction score
Soooooo now word of a woman on a DC tour bus today, that passed through the Pentagon. I hope nobody from her bus got on my Metro bus that goes through there every day...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Just saw on the news, for 2 days after Duncan was at Presbyterian -the second time of course, they wore nothing but standard gown and gloves only during his stay.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Then they screwed up by wearing triple protective garb so another big mistake. I heard earlier about them improvising putting medical tape around their exposed necks and piling the medical waste on the floor. Man that is ridiculous.

If I understand the situation, it was reported that the notifications received by Pres was a notice on an optional training for Ebola, posted on a bulletin board. I don't know if that's true or not but if it is, it's really hard for me to fault the Staff. That's just not adequate for a risk as high as this.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score

The only airborne transmission that has been documented is that feces really can hit the fan.

Seriously, folks. Do you just want something to worry about? Then don't drive, because you're risk of death is infinitely higher on our roads.
Also, you have more of a chance of being struck by lightening than getting ebola, so worry about that.

There is no conspiracy, no cover-up, no mysterious mutant ninja strain that will be given to terrorists to flood our country.
This is terrorism if everyone is uninformed and overreacts.

Do you know why Mr. Duncan's contacts didn't get sick when he was sent home from the hospital, and then went back sicker?
Because the virus has been thoroughly studied for almost 40 years, and spread only occurs by direct contact -- fluids to tissues.

Please stop spreading fear.