First Round Running Backs

Galian Beast

Reaction score
This is a list of first round running backs Since Adrian Peterson. Have their been flops? Absolutely. I think something we need to key on is that sometimes positions are weak in certain years, and probably don't really have a player that should be drafted in the first round, but because they're the best of their class they get drafted early. Happens at every position, running back isn't unique here. And I believe there was a major drought of elite runners in college football for a while.

Adrian Peterson
Marshawn Lynch
Darren McFadden
Jonathan Stewart
Felix Jones
Rashard Mendenhall
Chris Johnson
Knowshon Moreno
Donald Brown
Beanie Wells
CJ Spiller
Ryan Mathews
Jahvid Best
Mark Ingram
Trent Richardson
Doug Martin
David Wilson
Todd Gurley
Melvin Gordon

I think what you'll find is that most of them really did have the talent to varying degrees, but many of them probably shouldn't have been drafted where they were. Many weren't successful because of where they went though. They either were drafted by teams that were no good, already had running backs, or were expected to run in an RBBC.

I challenge you to find me in this Adrian Peterson era, many 1st round running backs that were as accomplished and healthy as Ezekiel Elliott. I'm talking about rushing yards and touchdowns. Only a few players with that kind of prestige and production have been considered busts. You look at McFadden and it is almost certainly a result of where he was drafted. Trent Richardson had no business being drafted that early.

Many of these running backs were never going to be bell cows. CJ Spiller, Mark Ingram, Felix Jones...

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
it certainly seems like EE will have a great year if he stays healthy. However, I find that I am more curious about the 6th round running back. Can he spell EE or even get some quality runs behind that OL? What happens if we want both in the backfield at the same time and they both produce....does that make him valuable trade bait in a year or two? Just asking...

I like the post.

DTown214

Reaction score
Thats good info to know but keep in mind that the only ones on that list that compared to Zeke's hype coming into the draft were Adrian Peterson, Darren McFadden, and Todd Gurley. Peterson and Gurley might be this generation's Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders. And if let's say we drafted McFadden and put him into the same situation Zeke is about to be in, he'd probably be looking like a future hall of famer by now.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
Yeah there's only four on that list that would be considered 1st round type talents after the fact.

Last edited:

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
This is a list of first round running backs Since Adrian Peterson. Have their been flops? Absolutely. I think something we need to key on is that sometimes positions are weak in certain years, and probably don't really have a player that should be drafted in the first round, but because they're the best of their class they get drafted early. Happens at every position, running back isn't unique here. And I believe there was a major drought of elite runners in college football for a while.

Adrian Peterson
Marshawn Lynch
Darren McFadden
Jonathan Stewart
Felix Jones
Rashard Mendenhall
Chris Johnson
Knowshon Moreno
Donald Brown
Beanie Wells
CJ Spiller
Ryan Mathews
Jahvid Best
Mark Ingram
Trent Richardson
Doug Martin
David Wilson
Todd Gurley
Melvin Gordon

I think what you'll find is that most of them really did have the talent to varying degrees, but many of them probably shouldn't have been drafted where they were. Many weren't successful because of where they went though. They either were drafted by teams that were no good, already had running backs, or were expected to run in an RBBC.

I challenge you to find me in this Adrian Peterson era, many 1st round running backs that were as accomplished and healthy as Ezekiel Elliott. I'm talking about rushing yards and touchdowns. Only a few players with that kind of prestige and production have been considered busts. You look at McFadden and it is almost certainly a result of where he was drafted. Trent Richardson had no business being drafted that early.

Many of these running backs were never going to be bell cows. CJ Spiller, Mark Ingram, Felix Jones...

Good info....man that's a terrible list of first round running backs. Ouch. Most of those teams got swindled. Oh I think Giovanni Bernard was a 1st rd pick as well. If you look at the two drafts before AD/AP you got guys like: Ronnie Brown, Cedric Williams, Cadillac williams, Reggie bush, Laurence Maroney, Joseph Addai, and DeAngelo Williams

With all that being said, go Zeke. We need him to be successful.

Last edited:

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Thats good info to know but keep in mind that the only ones on that list that compared to Zeke's hype coming into the draft were Adrian Peterson, Darren McFadden, and Todd Gurley. Peterson and Gurley might be this generation's Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders. And if let's say we drafted McFadden and put him into the same situation Zeke is about to be in, he'd probably be looking like a future hall of famer by now.

Do you mean Zeke & Gurley?

JBS

Reaction score
...and Zeke is no exception. He's an overrated waste of a 4th overall pick.

Unfortunately the draft only had 3 good players

It's really just bad luck that they all happened to go 1-2-3...

What can ya do?

Maybe next year's draft will have more good players

DTown214

Reaction score
Do you mean Zeke & Gurley?

Well no I meant Peterson, even though there's a big gap age-wise. But my point was that Peterson and Gurley both had a ton of hype coming out of college (like Elliott) and AP has had a great career and Gurley certainly looks to be on track to.

erod

Reaction score
Look how one-dimensional most of that list is.

Elliott is far more complete.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Ingram is nothing like Spiller or Felix. The latter two are scatbacks.

Ingram drew Emmitt comparisons coming out of Bama and absolutely was viewed as a "bell cow" RB.

He's a solid starting RB who just hasn't been able to stay healthy.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
Look how one-dimensional most of that list is.

Elliott is far more complete.

It's true. Even when we drafed Felix jones, I didn't expect him to be great. I was happy to add another dimension to the offense, but in no way did he have what Elliot has in a complete game.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It's not just QB's that bust in the first round.

Except every year that an RB was taken in the top 5 since 2001 and became a bust, there was an RB or two that went on to have good careers taken in the later rounds. Usually, if the QBs at the top of draft bust, that's it for the draft class.