First Round Running Backs

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
Probably why teams have avoided 1st round rbs when you look at that list.
The only backs I'd take over Elliott on that list are Peterson and Gurley. This is why I don't really care about the track record because I don't think Elliott is your typical 1st round RB.

I agree Peterson and Gurley are the only ones that you would consider over Elliott. With that said players like Mcfadden and Richardson were just as hyped and held in as high regard as Elliott. The rest were either more one dimensional or had holes in their game which is why they slipped a bit further with exception of maybe Lynch. Hopefully Elliott is more Peterson and Gurley, which appears more likely.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Ingram is nothing like Spiller or Felix. The latter two are scatbacks.

Ingram drew Emmitt comparisons coming out of Bama and absolutely was viewed as a "bell cow" RB.

He's a solid starting RB who just hasn't been able to stay healthy.

3261 yards rushing compared to Elliotts 3961...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Thats good info to know but keep in mind that the only ones on that list that compared to Zeke's hype coming into the draft were Adrian Peterson, Darren McFadden, and Todd Gurley. Peterson and Gurley might be this generation's Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders. And if let's say we drafted McFadden and put him into the same situation Zeke is about to be in, he'd probably be looking like a future hall of famer by now.

Not sure I'd go that far. The injury bug likely would still have bitten McFadden.

rynochop

Reaction score
Tony D was the second pick back in the day. I'm sure folks would have *****ed and moaned about that pic as well.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Tony D was the second pick back in the day. I'm sure folks would have *****ed and moaned about that pic as well.

Those 70's teams were perennial playoff and SB contenders. That's buys a front office a lot of credibility and benefit of the doubt. And they were stacked on D as well.

Today, we've reached a point where missing on our day 1 picks sets this team back and folks also question the value of a RB at #4. It's a different game. Zeke is a talent but the questions regarding a RB that high are valid as well.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
We're not just talking about first round RBs, we are talking about top 5. There is a big difference.

How did the top 5 RBs do since 2001?

This would have been a more interesting and accurate comparison. I enjoyed the post but it seems to include some watered down general 1st round info. I would rather know about how top 5 RBs have compared over the years. A more impactful comparison imo.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
It's true. Even when we drafed Felix jones, I didn't expect him to be great. I was happy to add another dimension to the offense, but in no way did he have what Elliot has in a complete game.

I think you are a little quick to put Zeke in the sig. He hasnt even taken a preseason snap yet

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
it certainly seems like EE will have a great year if he stays healthy. However, I find that I am more curious about the 6th round running back. Can he spell EE or even get some quality runs behind that OL? What happens if we want both in the backfield at the same time and they both produce....does that make him valuable trade bait in a year or two? Just asking...

I like the post.

Just about any back picked in the first 4 rounds of this draft and given 300 carries in our offense would have a great season.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Except every year that an RB was taken in the top 5 since 2001 and became a bust, there was an RB or two that went on to have good careers taken in the later rounds. Usually, if the QBs at the top of draft bust, that's it for the draft class.

It's been this way throughout history. For all positions.
So QB busts gets excused because of a bad draft class, but RB's or any other postions don't?

Also has to do with the team....Ricky Bell went #1 to TB, Tony Dorsett went #2 to Dallas in the same draft.
Blair Thomas goes what #2 to the Jets, Emmitt goes 17th to Dallas....much of it has to do with the team.

Last edited:

Gooch

E-Dog
Reaction score
RB's in the first 10 picks since the 80's
Year Round Pick Player Name Team College
1995 1 1 1 Ki-Jana Carter Bengals Penn State
1986 1 1 1 Bo Jackson Buccaneers Auburn
1981 1 1 1 George Rogers Saints South Carolina
1980 1 1 1 Billy Sims Lions Oklahoma
2006 1 2 2 Reggie Bush Saints USC
2005 1 2 2 Ronnie Brown Dolphins Auburn
1994 1 2 2 Marshall Faulk Colts San Diego State
1990 1 2 2 Blair Thomas Jets Penn State
1983 1 2 2 Eric Dickerson Rams Southern Methodist
2012 1 3 3 Trent Richardson Browns Alabama
1993 1 3 3 Garrison Hearst Cardinals Georgia
1989 1 3 3 Barry Sanders Lions Oklahoma State
1987 1 3 3 Alonzo Highsmith Oilers Miami (FL)
1983 1 3 3 Curt Warner Seahawks Penn State
1981 1 3 3 Freeman McNeil Jets UCLA
2016 1 4 4 Ezekiel Elliott Cowboys Ohio State
2008 1 4 4 Darren McFadden Raiders Arkansas
2005 1 4 4 Cedric Benson Bears Texas
1999 1 4 4 Edgerrin James Colts Miami (FL)
1987 1 4 4 Brent Fullwood Packers Auburn
2005 1 5 5 Cadillac Williams Buccaneers Auburn
2001 1 5 5 LaDainian Tomlinson Chargers Texas Christian
2000 1 5 5 Jamal Lewis Ravens Tennessee
1999 1 5 5 Ricky Williams Saints Texas
1998 1 5 5 Curtis Enis Bears Penn State
1980 1 5 5 Curtis Dickey Colts Texas A&M
1996 1 6 6 Lawrence Phillips Rams Nebraska
2007 1 7 7 Adrian Peterson Vikings Oklahoma
2000 1 7 7 Thomas Jones Cardinals Virginia
1989 1 7 7 Tim Worley Steelers Georgia
1982 1 7 7 Darrin Nelson Vikings Stanford
1996 1 8 8 Tim Biakabutuka Panthers Michigan
1983 1 8 8 Michael Haddix Eagles Mississippi State
2010 1 9 9 C.J. Spiller Bills Clemson
1998 1 9 9 Fred Taylor Jaguars Florida
1992 1 9 9 Tommy Vardell Browns Stanford
1989 1 9 9 Sammie Smith Dolphins Florida State
1982 1 9 9 Gerald Riggs Falcons Arizona State
2015 1 10 10 Todd Gurley Rams Georgia
1993 1 10 10 Jerome Bettis Rams Notre Dame
1986 1 10 10 Keith Byars Eagles Ohio State
1982 1 10 10 Marcus Allen Raiders USC

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This is a list of first round running backs Since Adrian Peterson. Have their been flops? Absolutely. I think something we need to key on is that sometimes positions are weak in certain years, and probably don't really have a player that should be drafted in the first round, but because they're the best of their class they get drafted early. Happens at every position, running back isn't unique here. And I believe there was a major drought of elite runners in college football for a while.

Adrian Peterson
Marshawn Lynch
Darren McFadden
Jonathan Stewart
Felix Jones
Rashard Mendenhall
Chris Johnson
Knowshon Moreno
Donald Brown
Beanie Wells
CJ Spiller
Ryan Mathews
Jahvid Best
Mark Ingram
Trent Richardson
Doug Martin
David Wilson
Todd Gurley
Melvin Gordon

I think what you'll find is that most of them really did have the talent to varying degrees, but many of them probably shouldn't have been drafted where they were. Many weren't successful because of where they went though. They either were drafted by teams that were no good, already had running backs, or were expected to run in an RBBC.

I challenge you to find me in this Adrian Peterson era, many 1st round running backs that were as accomplished and healthy as Ezekiel Elliott. I'm talking about rushing yards and touchdowns. Only a few players with that kind of prestige and production have been considered busts. You look at McFadden and it is almost certainly a result of where he was drafted. Trent Richardson had no business being drafted that early.

Many of these running backs were never going to be bell cows. CJ Spiller, Mark Ingram, Felix Jones...

If Zeke doesnt lead the league in rushing and at least match what Murray did, then this pick was far and away a major mistake.

DFWJC

Reaction score
My only issue was that the 4th overall is worth two mid 1st rounders. Would have been nice.
But I have no problem at all with Zeke the player, and expect him to be a beast.
:flagwave:

Given our line, it'll be hard to measure the value of the pick though. I thought pre-draft that there were a few backs that could be taken in later rounds that would also challenge for ROY on this team.

At this point, I root for our guy all the way.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I hope you are joking.

Not at all. If he cant do what Murray did, then using the 4th pick on him was dumb as some have said. The ONLY reason this pick makes any sense is if this kid can make us completely unstoppable on the offensive end and score from anywhere on the field. He has to be special. We already had a great run game. If he cant make it all world, then this was a dumb pick.