Twitter: Fish: Cowboys trying to salvage relationship with Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Cooper is smart enough to realize this is a business. If the Cowboys do end up keeping him at his current salary he should be more than grateful. Because if they do succeed in trading him his new team isn't giving him $20 million a year.

If a team trades for him, they are trading for his contract that has 3 yrs remaining. So yes he will be getting his $20 million this year and next year and the year after.

You think a team is going to trade for Cooper and then turn around and release him?

stiletto

Reaction score
Correct. That is clearly what Cooper has been doing. The Cowboys wouldn't be trying to ask him for a paycut, trade or be forced to cut Cooper if he was right.

Yeah because the Cowboys FO is SO RIGHT all the time.... <sigh>

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Good. Guy was targeted 38th amongst his position and they wonder why he didn’t deliver on his contract.

Reactions: CWR

morasp

Reaction score
Sorry Dak? No, Dak is sorry. He had all the weapons in the world and got shut down in a bunch of games including the playoffs. Coopers targets and numbers where terrible. No way he gets such trash stats with a top 10 QB.
That comment was a little tongue in cheek.

JustChip

Reaction score
I never said anything of the sort, I simply pointed out that calling the top scoring offense an inferior offense was a dumb statement, which it is
Stats without context are meaningless. The Dallas offense did not perform against superior competition for most of the season and definitely the last 1/2. Look no further than the final 2 meaningful games against common opponents - AZ and SF. LA put up 771 yards and 54 points (both playoff games); Dallas had 608 yards & 39 points (last game a playoff). LA won both games, coming from 10 down in the 4th quarter against SF. Dallas was unable to come from behind either if their games. By the way, LA did it in all if their playoff wins.

The Dallas offense is inferior because of KM vs. Sean McVay. You saw the difference in the Super Bowl. They lose a key component in OBJ & they shift and lean on their best weapon, Kupp. KM and Dallas, and maybe Dak, would not and did not do that.

The point of the original post was Kupp vs. Cooper and whether Cooper would’ve produced similar to Kupp if they traded places. Cooper may not replicate Kupp’s production in LA, but I think it’s fair to say he would be far more productive in LA and Kupp would be less so in Dallas.

CWR

Reaction score
If a team trades for him, they are trading for his contract that has 3 yrs remaining. So yes he will be getting his $20 million this year and next year and the year after.

You think a team is going to trade for Cooper and then turn around and release him?

I could see them extending him with the idea of cutting him in year 4 or so. Of his existing contract I think there is only 10 million guaranteed. The lack of guaranteed money as well as him being 30 in 3 years might be enough incentive for him to be agreeable. Then the team trading for him would have some wiggle room with the cap. I'm not positive though.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
they found out Gallup wants more than a minimum contract…
Guessing he wants 10-12m and he’s no Amari.
Only dumb organizations would pay Gallup, a B talent, and cut Cooper, an A talent.
Of course only dumb organizations would’ve painted themselves into this corner to begin with so…

Dak's quarterback rating drops when Cooper is not in the game.
Teams are interested in Amari, not Gallop. Gallop wants more
money than Dallas thought he would want. Dallas franchise tagged
Schultz. How does Dallas get themselves in these kind of messes
and when will the JOnes learn to keep their mouths shut.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
If a Gallup deal was that close it would just be some minor details being hammered out amd probably done by now. If he wants Williams kind of money coming off an ACL no thank you, Cooper much better option.

birdwells1

Reaction score
What is there to salvage?

You can either make $20 million per year for the next three here. OR you can go somewhere else and likely made 8-10 less a season and probably around $20 million less in total.
shrug-john-krasinski.gif

If they cut him he won't make 8-10 million less a year, he'll be a highly sought after free agent (27 years old number 1 wr). If they trade him he'll still be under the same contract.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Cooper is smart enough to realize this is a business. If the Cowboys do end up keeping him at his current salary he should be more than grateful. Because if they do succeed in trading him his new team isn't giving him $20 million a year.
They have to.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is usually when you see a sign on the door stating, "Closed due to management change. "

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboy historians, I’m curious. What cowboys since the free agency era begun, have taken a hometown discount to stay? I hear this almost every year from the Jones camp. Only ones that come to mind I guess are Sean Lee and I guess Tyron on his first extension. Maybe Greg Ellis…
Doug Free

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Meh...his stats are falsely inflated due to strong home success against poor teams...he has disappeared on the road and in playoff games, he's a very good route runner and the offense is better with him, but the dollar savings as a whole could make the team overall better. Lamb will be the number one, gallop 2, they will grab a vet or a 2nd rounder for 3 and fill out with what's left on the roster.

He's not Cooper kupp

If we’re talking about “disappearing “ and “playoff games”, who was a bigger disappointment than “Lamb will be the number one”?

ghst187

Reaction score
Dak's quarterback rating drops when Cooper is not in the game.
Teams are interested in Amari, not Gallop. Gallop wants more
money than Dallas thought he would want. Dallas franchise tagged
Schultz. How does Dallas get themselves in these kind of messes
and when will the JOnes learn to keep their mouths shut.

Exactly! The Jones dum dums always shoot their mouths off and it ruins any leverage we could have from trade negotiations to contracts….they ALWAYS do this!
Now imagine us keeping Cooper because lost all leverage with Gallup and no one wants to fork over more than a fourth round pick for Amari….awkward!
If they’d just SHUT UP about personnel decisions and work it behind closed doors we’d be exponentially better off.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
I read it’s a win/win situation if cooper gets back on the free agency market right now during his prime. T would’ve worked out perfectly in he got all his guaranteed money and the. Some and get a to move in to a new context for some more guaranteed money and signing bonus. I’m pretty sure his agent is hoping his client is back on the market before free agency

Status
Not open for further replies.