Twitter: Fish: Dak wants $45m in 5th year

MarkP88

Reaction score
So give him the 4 year deal. But they also have to figure what the market is going to be in 4 years. After mahomes and the others get there deals the market will be at least 40+ a year for a franchise QB. So the 45 sounds high but maybe fair. Do you think his next contract will be for 35 a year again. Lol. And mahomes isn’t taking a team friendly deal..
I get this, but at the same time, I don't think it's quite that straightforward, because even Dak's biggest fans don't think he's on the Mahomes level. So yeah, Mahomes's eventual contract will definitely up the ante, but if you're going strictly by how good a player he is and what he's accomplished, Dak should not be on the same level in terms of pay.

At the same time, Dak has more value to the Cowboys than to other teams. And they have more value to him. It's a tough nut to crack - Dak is a good but not great player who's put himself in a position of leverage in these negotiations. It's not up to him to say, "you know what, I know I'm not as good as XYZ, so I'll take less money." The Cowboys are going to have to make a very difficult decision - overpay (and in turn put increasing pressure on themselves to find cheap talent to surround him with) or put a final offer out there that Dak may reject and which will ultimately result in the team needing to go in another direction, be it this year or next.

Knowing Jerry, I'm pretty sure it'll be the former.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
For those that think 45M will be a bargain in 4 years..

How do we know? For all we know, coming out of this pandemic (eventually), we could go right into a recession.

Again what has Dak done in his 4 seasons in Dallas to deserve that kind of dough? How many playoff wins again??

I advocated not resigning Zeke. But what's done is done. At least for now, I am a happy camper that Dallas is not agreeing to Dan's demands.
How do you know 45M won't be be a bargain for a franchise QB in 5 years? There will be a new TV contract in 2022, and the salary cap goes up every year. That adds up to a market in favor of the players getting max contracts.

The last time I checked we have the a top 3 ranked offensive in the NFL, due in major part of the two players you didnt want to sign!

Also Dak doesn't play on Defense nor Sp. Teams which were mediocre to down right bad. That's why we havent made a playoff run.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
This is what I always find funny. People think just because the league has been on a rise for a while, that it will always be the case. Nothing is guaranteed and these are unprecedented times we live in.

I even saw one post where someone said $45 mil would be the 'average' in 5 years. It wouldn't be even if this pandemic had never happened.
When negotiating a salary for any job, how the company is trending in the market and where the company is projected to be in the future are two major factors. You arent going to give a discount because of something that MAY disrupt the market, that's the company's problem not yours.

You also forgetting Pat Mahomes and Lamar Jackson contracts are coming up in the next few years. They are projected to go north of $40m a year. So yea the market will be around that in 5 years.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And not just under contract for one more season either. It was two seasons.
Right. So yeah I don't understand how someone can say they've never seen anything like this when JUST LAST YEAR we had it with Zeke lol. And had Lawrence not been hurt and threatened surgery we would've saw it with him too.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This is what I always find funny. People think just because the league has been on a rise for a while, that it will always be the case. Nothing is guaranteed and these are unprecedented times we live in.

I even saw one post where someone said $45 mil would be the 'average' in 5 years. It wouldn't be even if this pandemic had never happened.
When has the salary cap ever went down lol? When has it not gone up?

mcmvp

Reaction score
When negotiating a salary for any job, how the company is trending in the market and where the company is projected to be in the future are two major factors. You arent going to give a discount because of something that MAY disrupt the market, that's the company's problem not yours.

You also forgetting Pat Mahomes and Lamar Jackson contracts are coming up in the next few years. They are projected to go north of $40m a year. So yea the market will be around that in 5 years.

May disrupt the market? Is this serious?

mcmvp

Reaction score
When has the salary cap ever went down lol? When has it not gone up?

Who said anything about it going down? I suppose that's possible if things get even worse, but that wasn't my point. My point was we can't just assume the normal trajectory is going to remain the same. It would be foolish to assume that. It could easily flatten for a while before heading up again

mcmvp

Reaction score
So you know how market is going to be in 5 years? You must be a trillionare

LOL!! You are using my own point against yourself and you don't even realize it. I am the one saying we don't know...you are the one saying we do know.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Dak aside, it makes sense in terms of the market trend.

By the time his fifth year rolls around $35M/yearly salaries for QBs will normalized and his agents are trying to account for that increase in the market.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
LOL!! You are using my own point against yourself and you don't even realize it. I am the one saying we don't know...you are the one saying we do know.
I didnt say we know where it's going to be, I said... we do know where the market is TRENDING and that is up. The salary cap goes up every year, and the nfl signs a new tv deal in 2022. Players will use those points to negotiate a better deal.

No one knows what may or may not disrupt the market. So that's not Daks problem to worry about, it's the NFL's.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I would emphasizing the talent more than the money. Dak ain't russell. Imo, not by a long shot.

I agree that the isn’t Russell. Then again Russell’s contract ends in 2023. So in 2025 he is probably making more than 45 mil per season. As long as he stays healthy.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I told you during the season the price could keep going up!!

$45M is going to peanuts once FANG (Facebook, Apple, Netflixs & Google) social media etc put their bid on the table once traditional TV contracts expire in coming years.

$45M is the 5th year premium...

But you are assuming this deal gets agreed to. Right now, he's on the tag and that price is pretty much set at this point.

Qcard

Reaction score
But you are assuming this deal gets agreed to. Right now, he's on the tag and that price is pretty much set at this point.
Either way I am right... because Tag value reflects an upward progression in Dak's demands and value per team exclusive designation.

Sydla

Reaction score
How do you know 45M won't be be a bargain for a franchise QB in 5 years? There will be a new TV contract in 2022, and the salary cap goes up every year. That adds up to a market in favor of the players getting max contracts.

The last time I checked we have the a top 3 ranked offensive in the NFL, due in major part of the two players you didnt want to sign!

Also Dak doesn't play on Defense nor Sp. Teams which were mediocre to down right bad. That's why we havent made a playoff run.

There will not be a QB making a base salary of $45MM in 2024.

Two, one could argue that if you overpay Dak and take on massive cap hits for him, you have to skimp in other areas.......... defense could be one of those areas. We just let Byron Jones and Quinn walk because of cap constraints.

Sydla

Reaction score
Dak aside, it makes sense in terms of the market trend.

By the time his fifth year rolls around $35M/yearly salaries for QBs will normalized and his agents are trying to account for that increase in the market.

The $35MM number isn't really "salaries". It's just a mish mash of signing bonuses, salaries, roster bonuses, etc.

If Dak's agents are saying they will agree to a 5th year if the base salary is $45MM in that 5th year, that would far outstrip what any player would likely be getting in a base salary (or some combo of base salary and an annual roster bonus paid in that year).

Dak has the highest "base salary" this year at $31MM because he's been tagged. The next highest base salary? Jimmy G at $24MM. That's it. In 5 years, Mahomes' base salary probably won't even be near $45MM.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Who said anything about it going down? I suppose that's possible if things get even worse, but that wasn't my point. My point was we can't just assume the normal trajectory is going to remain the same. It would be foolish to assume that. It could easily flatten for a while before heading up again
That's what I'm asking though. Why would it flatten?

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
There will not be a QB making a base salary of $45MM in 2024.
What is this based on? Because Pat Mahomes and Lamar Jackson are projected to make 40+ in 2022

Two, one could argue that if you overpay Dak and take on massive cap hits for him, you have to skimp in other areas.......... defense could be one of those areas. We just let Byron Jones and Quinn walk because of cap constraints.
True and one could argue that paying 45m won't be considered "overpaying" in 2024