Twitter: Fish: Dak wants $45m in 5th year

bigE79

Reaction score
I remember 2 division titles and 13-3 hmmmm
Remember losing to a scrub team with playoffs on the line? That's what we remember...also, remember winning sb 30? That carries about as much weight as being 13-3 ..it's a what have you done for me lately league and what Dak has done lately is lose every big game last year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Ok maybe not Homer Simpson but I'm sticking with pretty much any starting NFL quarterback would look great in this offense. Even someone like Jacoby Brissett - a backup QB would produce similar results to Prescott imo.

Do you also think any QB would look great in the Chiefs offense? Would they produce similar results as Pat Mahomes? Do you think any QB would have looked great running the 2007 Pats offense? Do you think they would have produced similar results as Tom Brady? Do you think any QB would have looked great running the 2013 Broncos offense? Do you think they would have produced similar results as Peyton Manning? You don’t think the QB matters, the only thing that matters is the talent around them? Have fun with that. lol

bigE79

Reaction score
Do you also think any QB would look great in the Chiefs offense? Would they produce similar results as Pat Mahomes? Do you think any QB would have looked great running the 2007 Pats offense? Do you think they would have produced similar results as Tom Brady? Do you think any QB would have looked great running the 2013 Broncos offense? Do you think they would have produced similar results as Peyton Manning? Have fun with that. lol
I believe those QBs you listed beat the eagles farm team last year to get in the playoffs,or the jets,bills,bears..etc

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
That's way above fair market value. Dak thinks he's better than he actually is. 35 per year is the max. This is getting ridiculous. Go with Dalton if he won't sign for 35.

What he’s asking for the 5th year (in 2025) will likely be market value for a QB in five years.

If he was asking for $45M/per right now (as in 2020) that would be obscene.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
What he’s asking for the 5th year (in 2025) will likely be market value for a QB in five years.

If he was asking for $45M/per right now (as in 2020) that would be obscene.

Who knows if he'll even have the skills in 5 years? Quarterbacking is a perishable skill that can quickly decline. Look what happened to RG3, though that's an extreme example. I don't know that it's smart to lock him in for 5 years. Makes me wonder if someone is going to Kirk-Cousins Dak like what happened in Washington.

KB1122

Reaction score
This is so dumb. If you don't have the confidence to give him almost anything he wants, don't sign him.

If you negotiate this much for any quarterback, you should let him go.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I get this, but at the same time, I don't think it's quite that straightforward, because even Dak's biggest fans don't think he's on the Mahomes level. So yeah, Mahomes's eventual contract will definitely up the ante, but if you're going strictly by how good a player he is and what he's accomplished, Dak should not be on the same level in terms of pay.

At the same time, Dak has more value to the Cowboys than to other teams. And they have more value to him. It's a tough nut to crack - Dak is a good but not great player who's put himself in a position of leverage in these negotiations. It's not up to him to say, "you know what, I know I'm not as good as XYZ, so I'll take less money." The Cowboys are going to have to make a very difficult decision - overpay (and in turn put increasing pressure on themselves to find cheap talent to surround him with) or put a final offer out there that Dak may reject and which will ultimately result in the team needing to go in another direction, be it this year or next.

Knowing Jerry, I'm pretty sure it'll be the former.

And if they go in another direction then I think both sides will know during this season. I think if he plays under the tag this year it may say a lot.

Swagger

Reaction score
You sound like a typical casual fan. The key to any offense performing efficiently is having a solid QB. If you think any QB could have produced almost 5000 yards last season with 30 TDs, only 11 INTs and almost a 100.0 passer rating you don’t have a clue about football. Another big reason our offense is productive is Dak’s ability to run the read option and use his legs. He’s had 21 rushing TDs during his four seasons. He’s only thrown 36 INTs in four seasons. Jameis Winston had 30 INTs last season. It’s laughable for anyone to think our offense would be real productive with an average QB, especially with an average defense that doesn’t get takeaways. Can you name a team that’s led the league in offense with an average QB? You would have to go back several decades. If you tell me Dak is an average QB this discussion will be over.

No, i'm not a casual fan.

My response is to your post above.

Do I think pretty much any starting QB in the NFL would have produced similar results to Dak Prescott's individual massaged stats of last season - perhaps not. It could be argued that other quarterbacks would have been more efficient in the redzone (we were pretty much bang in the middle last season around 16th from memory). Further, it's ironic because those blaming special teams solely for team losses last season should actually be thanking special teams for some of the starting positions as it actually gave Prescott more individual yards to massage his figures against prevent/zone defenses.

Do I think pretty much any starting QB in the NFL would have finished 8-8 (at worst) with this roster...yes.

It pains me to go through this all AGAIN but...

Wins
Giants x 2 (picked #4 in the 2020 NFL draft...)
Commanders x 2 (picked #2 in the 2020 NFL draft...)
Dolphins (a point in the season when they were horrific after conceding 103 in their previous two games and had scored ten points and went on to lose to the Chargers by 20 points after the Cowboys turned them over)
Lions (Matt Stafford didn't even play for the Lions)
All of the above teams picked in the top 5 in the 2020 NFL draft
Rams (excellent team win and Prescott played well)
Eagles (game was done before half time thanks to our defense and Eagles special teams).

I would go far as to say that ANY starting QB in the NFL last season would have beaten the Giants and Commanders in all four match ups, the Lions game against their backup QB and the Dolphins at that point in the season. So that's 6 games of the 8 that where it was like taking candy from a baby. We steamrolled the Rams, Garrett had many faults but towards the end he did have a good record in those type of must win home games during the regular season (not at the end obviously). Prescott was fine, he did his job and played well in this game but I again think most starting QB's in the league would have won the same game given the way it unfolded. Prescott didn't really play well against the Eagles - the defense, the Eagles special teams and Zeke did the damage in that game. So for me, pretty much any starting QB in the NFL would have won this game.

Maybe i'm old fashioned but if a QB is to earn $35-45 million a year then he has to be able to perform to a level whereby the team wins a few games regardless of special teams, the defense or whatever else people like to blame. I.e. his individual play is able to overcome adversity. The quarterback can influence the game more than any other player during a game. Obviously I'm not expecting or claiming that a QB should carry a team to victory in every game but yes once or twice during the regular season a franchise QB has to earn his money and deliver the goods. Otherwise there is no point in paying a QB big bucks - spend that money elsewhere and roll with a rookie or cheap vet QB.

Losses
10-12: Saints and Teddy Bridgewater. A franchise QB in his fourth season simply has to do more regardless of any adversity when facing a backup QB and playing as a QB in an offense that only put up 10 points. Just can't be losing a game like that if we want to be considered as genuine contenders.
24-34: The debacle versus the Packers. Not all three interceptions were on Prescott but he contributed to the problems which led to the game effectively being done before prevent defense etc resulted in Blake Bortles on steroids type fantasy points being racked up by Prescott.
22-24: Jets. The Jets entered the game 0-4 and gave up 31 points before and 33 points after this game. Very disappointing that this productive offense could only put up 22 points.
24-28: Vikings. Prescott's best performance regardless what the stats say. Vikings had a good defense last season and if Prescott played like this on a regular basis then I wouldn't have an issue with him and I would say pay the man. Prescott was excellent and was let down by others in this game yet we still lost.
9-13: Patriots. A lot of people blamed Prescott for this loss but I didn't at the time. It was played in horrible conditions and Brady didn't play well either. It was a war of attrition and ultimately the better coach won a bad game. On reflection we didn't have to do much more to win this game but despite the low scoring and given it was against a strong defense this loss wasn't on Prescott for me.
15-26: Buffalo. Many issues in this game again but I personally felt that Josh Allen looked the franchise QB on the day. I do rate Buffalo, they are a good team yet Prescott still didn't play well regardless.
24-31: Bears. Score was misleading as this was a blowout until garbage time massaging QB stats late on. Many issues again in this game but Prescott threw the ball on 49 occasions and only completed 27 passes. The Bears have a good defense and when they are on it, they are a difficult team to beat at home. I'm not naive to just blame Prescott for the defeat but he didn't play well either.
9-17: Eagles. This was the game where in my view, most starting QBs in the NFL would have won if playing for the Cowboys. Some have given Prescott a pass because of the shoulder injury. Debatable how much it hindered him given how he looked a week later when balling out against a Commanders team already thinking of who they would be picking at #2 in the draft. The Eagles were just so there for the taking. Yes there were some poor drops but I'm genuinely of the view that we would have won with Cooper Rush as we just needed a few basic, regulation throws to be made against a secondary as open as an 84 year old Bangkok working girl. I suppose this could be blamed on the coaching/front office/doctors - I don't know how it works. If Prescott's shoulder was that bad then given how badly he played, he simply shouldn't have been out there. Garrett could have pulled him at half time as well but perhaps Prescott insisted that he started and carried on playing.

I haven't given Prescott any credit or props for beating the Giants (x2), Commanders (x2), Dolphins (worst team in the NFL at the time by a country mile) or the Lions (Stafford didn't even play and they weren't a good team last season). That's 6 of the 8 wins the Dallas Cowboys won last season. Prescott played his part in the blowout win over the Rams whilst the Eagles game was more about other factors than Prescott's blinding QB play.

Of the eight losses, the Eagles game was an absolute gimme and just an awful loss. A franchise QB has to be winning that game end of story - Prescott didn't even need to play well for the team to win, just not badly. I'm also of the view that a franchise QB should have been able to help the offense put up at least 13 points to beat the Saints with a backup QB. Finally, I would want a franchise QB to be putting in one uplifting performance against either the Jets, Bears or the Bills to secure a win in one of those three games. I don't think that's asking much of a franchise QB, i.e. just do not be a key reason why we lose what should have been a regulation game versus the Eagles, put up 13 points on the Saints against a back up QB and win one of three winnable games which required a QB to inspire the team to victory.

Given the schedule we were around an 11-5 team last season yet ended up 8-8 and missing the play offs altogether. There were other contributory factors which have been discussed until the cows have come home but regardless of all of that, we should have still finished at the very minimum 10-6 yet we didn't. Go figure...

That was a whole lot of writing and a complete waste of time as nobody will be changing their minds whatever side of the fence they sit on regarding Prescott! We have all seen him play for four years and formed our own opinion of where we rank him. For me, he's in the 15-20 quarterback bracket in the league.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No, i'm not a casual fan.

My response is to your post above.

Do I think pretty much any starting QB in the NFL would have produced similar results to Dak Prescott's individual massaged stats of last season - perhaps not.

You’re as casual a fan as it gets. You wasted a lot of time with the rest of that never ending post post because this is as far as I read. I got through to you some because you’ve changed your tune from what you said earlier.

Ok maybe not Homer Simpson but I'm sticking with pretty much any starting NFL quarterback would look great in this offense. Even someone like Jacoby Brissett - a backup QB would produce similar results to Prescott imo.

Jacoby Brissett is so average he’s being replaced by an aging, washed up Philip Rivers. If you want to continue spewing nonsense by devaluing the QB position go ahead but you’ll just be wasting your time.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't blame anybody but I do think it's silly to be pissed at the guy for taking care of his business and his life.

What has he done? He sent the message last year he wasn't going for that deal and he's sent the message this year that he isn't going for it and evidently told them what it would take to get that 5th year. The Joneses try to make this public to paint him as the bad guy when they're the tools that can't seem to grasp how to handle the cap.

The man decides what he feels he's worth and what he's willing to take, after seeing these people give Lawrence, Smith and Elliott those deals, and people get pissed at him? Who in the hell is anyone here to decide the worth of anyone else?

If those bumbling morons hadn't overpaid for a DE and RB already, this wouldn't even be an issue. Hell, Elliott held out with 2 years left and didn't catch the flak that Prescott is for following this by the numbers. Anyone that has a problem with Prescott going for the the big bucks after watching that old fool show off from his boat has a problem with the wrong cat.

I tried to tell everyone here what was going to happen with these clowns rolling over with their star players, that the domino effect is across all positions and now they're pissed at the QB? The most critical position on the team.

He picked CAA for a very good reason, like the other players do. I would pick the hardest dealing take no prisoners agent I could get. The difference is I would tell him every time that snake Stuphen let it leak to the media, the price would go up.

The problem isn't the deal or Prescott or his agent, it's the fact they choose to capitalize on publicity with this and they're the only aholes across all sports that do this. They're brown shoes at the formal.

I never liked the Lawrence deal but the Zeke deal, that's actually a very good deal IMO. Now, you can make the point that it was early to extend but then again, we see and hear all the fans and the media complaining that we didn't get the Dak deal done early enough so I think you gotta just file that under pick a lane cause folks can't have it both ways. Remember, you are not the only one who tried to tell people what would happen if you allowed players to take advantage of negotiations.

I don't believe it's silly for fans to be pissed. I believe fans pay for all of this so if they chose to be pissed, they can be pissed. Without fans, none of this exists and I sometimes wonder if the players or the NFL itself actually lose sight of this? Fans can decide to be upset over this or not but I'm certainly not going to tell anybody how they should feel about it. It's their choice, their right to see this as they choose.

If you choose to treat any given negotiation in a cutthroat manner, then you can't complain about how the public views it or how the people you are negotiating with treats it. It was Dak who decided to go with this agency knowing that it would likely cause problems with ownership. If that's the choice, then don't cry when they actually show that they aren't pleased with the way the negotiations are taking place. Don't cry about fans who don't see this as fair, whatever the case. Dak is not blameless here. If you elect not to hold him responsible for where these negotiations are at, that's fine, that's your opinion. It's not mine. Dak has just as much responsibility as anybody. He knew what he was doing and how CAA does business. He also knew how the Cowboys do Business, how Jerry does business. You said it yourself, Jerry gave out, perhaps overly generous, contracts to Lawrence and Zeke just prior so this current negotiation. This does not suggest that Jerry would treat Dak unfairly. It actually suggests just the opposite.

Dak didn't have to go this route but he elected to do this so it is what it is. He is not without blame here. This could have gone much easier IMO. CAA pretty much guaranteed that it would not.

In short, I am who in the hell has a right to decide to be pissed. I am a fan and without me, none of this exists. The fans are what this is all about. We've heard this from both sides, over and over. It's a business, the days of playing for love of the game are over. Well, fans support this business. Not players, not owners. Fans have every right to feel upset over this or not.

That's how I see it.

Adreme

Reaction score
He wants a 4 year deal and the Cowboys want a 5 year deal. He is asking for a ridiculous amount of money to compromise and do the 5 year deal. You want 5 years okay pay me $45 million then.

I mean its not actually that ridiculous when the structure is worked out. If you want 4 years for 35 or 5 years for 37 then it makes sense considering both numbers will be a discount in 2 years.

The one thing of note that might gum up the works for how all the teams are working though is that we might have a flat cap for the next several years so that might change the formula (basically the rumor is to avoid a 40 million reduction of the cap next year they will borrow against future cap gains which would cause the cap to remain largely flat over the next several years).

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So far everybody in here is willing to pay these prices. Haven't seen anyone say they wouldn't

I would not pay him. I've pretty much been consistent on that. I would allow him to find another deal that will pay him what he wants and give us good value in trade.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He sure as heck will never see the 5th year of $45 mil.

Not unless he marries Jerrah's daughter and Stephen becomes Godfather to Dak's love child.

Come on Dak.

Is David Irving sending you brownies thru the mail?

Pleazzz,.

No, he may not. He would probably see another contract with an even higher number before he saw the 5th year.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I'd swear some of you have never negotiated a contract. He doesn't want a 5th year. That's why you throw out a ridiculous number.