Twitter: Fish: Ex coach says the Cowboys defense is hustling, just don't know the system

Cowfan75

Reaction score
So "ex coach" thinks they really are tackling and covering? Could have fooled me.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Meh. when a RB bursts through the line and players are jogging to the ball or even worse standing around watching, that's not scheme confusion.
I think it is on the back end in the secondary, but that DL has been woof-worthy at times.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It sure looked like it in the first few games. All them busted coverages is a sign of something.
Meh. when a RB bursts through the line and players are jogging to the ball or even worse standing around watching, that's not scheme confusion.

Fans love to exaggerate on the topic of players not hustling.

It has not been a major problem from my reviews of games.

It has happened occasionally but nothing close to what many fans claim.

On the other hand, player confusion and poor angles has been a huge problem.

Dontari Poe is the primary player that often appears to just be going through the motions; however, I think he is just not in good enough condition to do much more than he has been doing. Also they played him for 79% of the defensive snaps in the Browns game which is far more than many "in their prime" NT types play.

There have been snaps where Aldon Smith didn't appear to be going 100% but I think he just gets gassed at times. He played 84% in the Giants game and has averaged about 80% which is more than DLaw averaged in his best season or any season. That's crazy considering that Aldon Smith has not played in 5 years. I expected him to be a designated pass rusher that played about 40%. In 2018 Randy Gregory was a designed pass rusher and played 45% of the snaps.

There was one play that fans focused on with regards to Jaylon "just jogging". After reviewing that play from multiple angles on the coaches film, it was obvious that Jaylon lost track of which player had the ball and he thought the ball carrier had been tackled. Joe Thomas had basically tackled (push out of bounds) a player that did not have the ball and Jaylon was watching Thomas contact that player. Jaylon had let up but then started running once he saw the actual ball carrier (OBJ). Jaylon then chased him and almost caught him. If a player was "just jogging" why would he then go max effort to chase down a smaller/faster player? That would just be making more work for himself.

It would be dumb for players to expend more energy than needed. Emmitt said a few years ago that Zeke needs to go out of bounds on occasion instead of struggle for 1 extra yard, especially on plays where he already has the 1st down.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
This is interesting but it does jive with some players (and fans ) wanting the D simplified a bit.

This was pointed out by several people after Week 1. The changes they want to make on defense are not small, and many players are completely unfamiliar with the new scheme. Expecting them to learn on the fly is too much. Let that guys do what they know how to do until the team can have a proper camp to practice a wholesale scheme change.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Hustling to the ground? The Browns and Rams OL bullied them for 3 hours and Russ and Matt Ryan were throwing to wide open receivers.

Giants would've beaten us too if they didn't have two touchdowns negated by penalties.

quickccc

Reaction score
This is interesting but it does jive with some players (and fans ) wanting the D simplified a bit.

they are not in a position where they can play fast ..

Confusion, hesitation, making mistakes and afraid of making mistakes, and i have to wonder if they are gonna be going into
every single game wondering if they will be on their heels yet again,

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I guess if you think about all it takes is a couple of players guessing
they are not in a position where they can play fast ..

Confusion, hesitation, making mistakes and afraid of making mistakes, and i have to wonder if they are gonna be going into
every single game wondering if they will be on their heels yet again,

Exactly...

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I'm a defensive player for the DallasCowboys. Our coaches keep telling us to attack and tackle the guy with the football. What do they mean attack and tackle? I don't understand that! They say it's simple. I say no its snot.

Last edited:

bigE79

Reaction score
These players are paid an ungodly amount of money to be good at football. Part of that responsibility is to learn a playbook.

I don’t care if the concepts are complex, they need to learn it; and if they can’t learn it themselves, seek out guidance from other players or coaches. Nolan shouldn’t have to dumb down his defense because the players are too dumb to pick it up.

I’m a younger guy (early 30s) but I’m so sick of the entitlement that these players show. Shut up and learn the playbook, or go sit on the bench.
Great post..why didn't sean lee never seem to have a problem picking up new schemes?same for dware,tnew etc..