Twitter: Fish: Ex coach says the Cowboys defense is hustling, just don't know the system

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
How many months is it going to take for them to figure it out? They've had about 3 already.

Jake I'm honestly starting to think it's a combination of a lot things, new scheme, new coach ( not sure his player's strengths/weaknesses,) some player picking up the new scheme faster than others, some player in better condition than others. I do think we'll see significant improvement as the season continue.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
its funny to me the browns brought in a brand new coaching staff and theyare not having trouble in fact they are prettty good sounds like a lot of bull crap excuses to me coming from the cowboys

Several teams with new staff and have a better D than ours as far as performing now.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There's a point when the knowing what to do in any scheme becomes natural. Reacting is quicker anytime anticipation is accelerated. That's what must occur, as familiarity with Nolan's scheme progresses. It takes time for a complex scheme to be mentally digested. Unfortunately, the conditions this season don't allow for sufficient time. Sorry to mention it but our patience will be required -- that's in rare supply with many of our fans. o_O

Last edited:

IceBowler

Reaction score
I kinda think getting blown off the ball and pushed back 2 yards really isn't a "Scheme" thing ..

... could be wrong I suppose.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dontari Poe isn't 'hustling' out there whatsoever. There's an example of a guy who doesn't care anymore. And as for 'knowing the defense'? It looks to me like it's not worth it to find out. Nolan's defenses sucked the last time he was a coordinator in Atlanta. And over his three years time there, they got WORSE, not better.

The people who criticized his hire were 100% right. It was a huge mistake. And I hope that they don't waste an entire season waiting for a turnaround with him that's not coming.

Sydla

Reaction score
We will be 6 games in after tonight. This excuse that they don't know what they are doing is getting weaker by the week.

The reality is that this is a criticism of Nolan in Atlanta, even after he had implemented his defense - too complex and too reliant on multiple reads that it led to confusion.

The sooner we get rid of Nolan the better IMO.

John813

Reaction score
They have the best hustle I've ever seen when they give up a TD and are going back to the bench.
I mean all 11 guys are trying to beat one another to the water jug. Never quit mentality

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This is interesting but it does jive with some players (and fans ) wanting the D simplified a bit.

So they are running around with no clue? Wonderful!!!

And what was the excuse the last few years when they knew the system?

khiladi

Reaction score
Well Jaylon never knows what he is doing, unless he’s going in a straight line towards the ball.

Redline360

Reaction score
These players are paid an ungodly amount of money to be good at football. Part of that responsibility is to learn a playbook.

I don’t care if the concepts are complex, they need to learn it; and if they can’t learn it themselves, seek out guidance from other players or coaches. Nolan shouldn’t have to dumb down his defense because the players are too dumb to pick it up.

I’m a younger guy (early 30s) but I’m so sick of the entitlement that these players show. Shut up and learn the playbook, or go sit on the bench.

Pretty much this.

Nolan was a horrible pickup and does not have the best track record. Throw in his complex scheme and ****** coaching it spells disaster from the start. Hell some cowboy players couldn't figure out the dumbed down version last year

If we get demolished by the Cardinals enough is enough. He gets let go and we dumb down the defense and start over next season.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
All of these players have been playing football for a while at several diferent levels....I find it hard that 5 games into the season these coaches are showing them such radical assignments that they A: have never seen a multiple cover defense or B: can't figure out who to cover or what gap they are responsible for at lineup...again they have not ran the same scheme through all the levels they have played at.....