News: Fish: Jerry Jones Would Consider Aikman as GM

quickccc

Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/.amp...ry-jones-would-consider-hiring-gm-troy-aikman

"I would consider it and I do consider it," Jones revealed. "I would not be averse to that. ... I'd put Troy at the head of the list''

Just talk or is it possible?

Just Talk and Jerry bumping his gums.

You've heard of "coach speak" ?..... now listen to "Jerry speak "

it's more of a compliment, than sizeable possibility. Any title or duties goes through Both Jones.
And what would that kind of promotion say about Wil McClay abilities to handle such a title ?
And would Aikman truly be the GM once Stephen Jones eventually takes over the Owner/President of Cowboys Operations ?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
No thanks..

Troy said he would pay Dak and that tells me all I need to know.

I want a forward thinker and not a guy willing to make the same mistake all these other teams have made by overpaying decent QBs.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
Same as Switzer, right?

We did not win that Super Bowl because of the football and leadership genius of "Gunsmoke" Switzer. We won it because of the talent and drive of the team that JImmy put together. It was that overwhelming talent that won that 3rd ring in the 90s.. Aikman was an essential component of that equation, especially as the quarterback. He helped win it in spite of Switzer.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Aikman has been out of the game for 20 years. During those 20 years, he has had how many GM interviews? All 31 teams somehow missed out on this potential at GM? Or, is it the case that Aikman would only be a good GM in Dallas and nowhere else?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
We did not win that Super Bowl because of the football and leadership genius of "Gunsmoke" Switzer. We won it because of the talent and drive of the team that JImmy put together. It was that overwhelming talent that won that 3rd ring in the 90s.. Aikman was an essential component of that equation, especially as the quarterback. He helped win it in spite of Switzer.

And what did Aikman win after that last super bowl? He sure did bank a lot of money, didn’t he. Sure helped the team him taking as much as he could and leaving less for others.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jones may have changed his Will saying he is leaving the general manager position to Aikman but I would think his kids will contest it in the end.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last time Aikman had a hand as GM, he hand-picked some TE. Was the name David LaFlower? Worked out real well.

Aikman was never great as a QB. The team was great. Aikman stinks as an announcer. Listen to Aikman and listen to Romo. See the difference. One knows football, one doesn’t. Aikman is just a name some fans automatically gravitate to.

LeFluer. Had back issues as well.
This was my 1st thought. However, I would not hold that against Troy. That was a long time ago. They all make mistakes. Ask Jerry. :lmao:

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
And what did Aikman win after that last super bowl? He sure did bank a lot of money, didn’t he. Sure helped the team him taking as much as he could and leaving less for others.

??? Sorry man, but you are just ranting at this point. Whatever Troy Aikman was he was not a selfish player. Did a three time Super Bowl winning quarterback get paid? I hope so. But I don’t think that anyone on the team at the time thought that he put himself above the interest of the team. In fact in his last years he took quite a beating as the franchise devolved

JBond

Reaction score
This made me laugh...

"Cowboys owner Jerry Jones values greatly the work of Dallas Cowboys GM Jerry Jones."

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
??? Sorry man, but you are just ranting at this point. Whatever Troy Aikman was he was not a selfish player. Did a three time Super Bowl winning quarterback get paid? I hope so. But I don’t think that anyone on the team at the time thought that he put himself above the interest of the team. In fact in his last years he took quite a beating as the franchise devolved

Same way Dak put the team first by demanding $40M? Dude, seriously?

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Just my opinion:
Troy would make a great GM, but would suck as a HC or even Coordinator.
Tony Romo would make a great OC, but would suck at GM or HC
Michael Irvin, if surrounded by great OC's and a game coordinator, would be a great HC but not Coordinator or GM.

The biggest question becomes who is the $$$ guy who works with the GM. A great GM/$$$$ is how you win in the NFL.

You absolutely need the GM to hire the correct HC and you need a $$$$ guy who can get the contracts done in a way that benefits the team. GM needs to hold HC accountable.
HC needs to get with GM/$$$$ and hire the best Coordinators, and needs to hold them accountable. He also need to discipline and motivate the team.
Coordinators need to hire the assistants and hold them accountable. They need to teach the game plans, and evaluate the play of the players.
Assistants need to teach individuals. They need to hold players accountable.

Just my opinion.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It'd be senseless to force the GM job on Aikman, if he doesn't want it.
It's also senseless for Jerry to keep it but he will. What a mess! :omg:

Last edited:

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Stephen is absolute garbage so if he’s better than Troy………

He has at minimum an decent understanding and experience of running an nfl organization, and has been around it his whole life. Among running other business. That counts for more than you think, even if he has won superbowls

JayFord

Reaction score
i think if we have a losing record like 4-13 Jerry steps down and hires a GM

issue is for all the crap Jerry has got, we only have losing seasons when we have massive amounts of injuries

visionary

Reaction score
He has at minimum an decent understanding and experience of running an nfl organization, and has been around it his whole life. Among running other business. That counts for more than you think, even if he has won superbowls

If the senior operating room technician has “been around the surgeon” for 20 years would you let him operate on you or your child?

Stephen has been in significant control for years and if anything has proven that he is just as incompetent as Jerry

learn to think for yourself

dsturgeon

Reaction score
If the senior operating room technician has “been around the surgeon” for 20 years would you let him operate on you or your child?

Stephen has been in significant control for years and if anything has proven that he is just as incompetent as Jerry

learn to think for yourself

I am not saying they should not higher a gm, I am saying dont assume troy is more competant that stephen at it.

If I was Jerry, I wouldn't do it. If I owned the team, I would want control of everything as well, and I would only delegate control where there was stuff I didn't want to do or thought it was needed. Regardless of public opinion and superbowl wins, that would be the fun in owning the team for me

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I believe Troy would be a terrible GM personally.
He knows the game and he knows what it takes but inflexible hard chargers tend to be terrible managers.

There's also the fact he'd make less as GM of the Cowboys than he does to broadcast games.
And the broadcasting allows him to split time between California and Texas which he seems to quite enjoy. --I'd prolly do same if I were uber rich.