News: Fish - Randy Moss Gets Apology from Jerry Jones

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Randy Moss, the great "What if?" for the Dallas Cowboys. People making fun of Fish in this thread, but any Cowboys historian knows this was a big moment in our team's history. As bad as the team was in those days, defense was usually much better than the offense so who knows what happens without Greg Ellis.

But... if we did draft Moss.... Nevermind Harper and Irvin, imagine Troy throwing to Moss and Irvin. As long as we had offensive linemen (cause it was starting to fall apart) Troy would have been Mr. Aerial. Vikings wouldn't be whipping us on Thanksgiving, Playoffs, etc. No offensive shutouts against Arizona in the Playoffs.

Moss even dropped all the way to #21 or #22 I believe. Jerry loves to do his Jimmy impression and trade for more draft picks. Could have possible had Randy Moss AND Alan Faneca in first round with some crafty dealing.

Skipping Moss also led to one of the worst trades in Cowboys history giving away '00 and '01 first round picks for Joey Galloway.

Emmitt was the last of the Triplets to lose it, and could have had a great replacement in Shaun Alexander who Seattle selected with our 2000 first rounder. Not sure who we would have picked in '01 but there were a lot of great WRs and LBs, AND San Diego wanted to trade Vick away. Imagine Vick as a Cowboy. You thought the circus was big in Atlanta.

Every now and then, a journalist does an in-depth article on a draft prospect that somehow manages to cover the hundreds of conversations, scouting reports and everything else a team looks at to come up with their draft board. I remember reading one on Randy Moss the week before the draft in either SI or Sporting News and I knew then that he was a once in a lifetime talent and his character issues were exaggerated. When he started dropping, I thought for sure we were going to grab him. Probably the beginning of my distaste as a fan for Jerry Jones the GM. Put up with a lot --- The Landry Mess, Finding a Landry Replacement in Jimmy and then getting rid of him!, the poor draft talent right after Jimmy, so many questionable moves, but I think that was the one that broke the camel's back. That was our one chance to possibly re-launch the Triplets.

Last edited:

TheCritic

Reaction score
My favorite part of the article:

"Mike Fisher - as a newspaper beat writer and columnist and on radio and TV, where he is an Emmy winner - has covered the NFL since 1983 and the Dallas Cowboys since 1990. He is the author of two best-selling books on the Cowboys."

Emmy winner......:lmao2::lmao::clap:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Moss is lucky he never ended up with the Cowboys because he would’ve never had the career in Dallas that he had in Minnesota. The Cowboys were on the decline as was Troy Aikman. Once Aikman was released the Cowboys had nothing at QB, plus the OL was in shambles. Just look at the career Joey Galloway had with the Cowboys. We didn’t have a QB or the pass protection to could get the ball down the field to him. He was an excellent receiver, but he didn’t work out with us. However, he had a some productive seasons in Tampa after we traded him. We needed a possession receiver who could catch the ball in traffic and move the chains, which is why we swapped Galloway for Keyshawn Johnson. Moss would’ve been very unhappy with the Cowboys and probably would have caused problems.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I just can't take anything Fish says seriously. I swear the guy just throws ideas at the wall and hopes something sticks.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I just can't take anything Fish says seriously. I swear the guy just throws ideas at the wall and hopes something sticks.
He doesn't care if they stick, he just wants the clicks.

I can't read anything from Fish or Blogging the Boys anymore, it is all just wild speculation for views.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Randy Moss, the great "What if?" for the Dallas Cowboys. People making fun of Fish in this thread, but any Cowboys historian knows this was a big moment in our team's history. As bad as the team was in those days, defense was usually much better than the offense so who knows what happens without Greg Ellis.

But... if we did draft Moss.... Nevermind Harper and Irvin, imagine Troy throwing to Moss and Irvin. As long as we had offensive linemen (cause it was starting to fall apart) Troy would have been Mr. Aerial. Vikings wouldn't be whipping us on Thanksgiving, Playoffs, etc. No offensive shutouts against Arizona in the Playoffs.

Moss even dropped all the way to #21 or #22 I believe. Jerry loves to do his Jimmy impression and trade for more draft picks. Could have possible had Randy Moss AND Alan Faneca in first round with some crafty dealing.

Skipping Moss also led to one of the worst trades in Cowboys history giving away '00 and '01 first round picks for Joey Galloway.

Emmitt was the last of the Triplets to lose it, and could have had a great replacement in Shaun Alexander who Seattle selected with our 2000 first rounder. Not sure who we would have picked in '01 but there were a lot of great WRs and LBs, AND San Diego wanted to trade Vick away. Imagine Vick as a Cowboy. You thought the circus was big in Atlanta.

Every now and then, a journalist does an in-depth article on a draft prospect that somehow manages to cover the hundreds of conversations, scouting reports and everything else a team looks at to come up with their draft board. I remember reading one on Randy Moss the week before the draft in either SI or Sporting News and I knew then that he was a once in a lifetime talent and his character issues were exaggerated. When he started dropping, I thought for sure we were going to grab him. Probably the beginning of my distaste as a fan for Jerry Jones the GM. Put up with a lot --- The Landry Mess, Finding a Landry Replacement in Jimmy and then getting rid of him!, the poor draft talent right after Jimmy, so many questionable moves, but I think that was the one that broke the camel's back. That was our one chance to possibly re-launch the Triplets.
Had the Cowboys drafted Moss, he would have only been paired with Michael Irvin for one full season. His career ended after four games during the 1999 season. By 2000 the team was showing deep decline. When Moss arrived in Minnesota, they had a lot of talent, especially at receiver. They had Jake Reed and Chris Carter who took Moss under his wing. This gave Moss a lot of opportunities to make plays. The following year, the Vikings drafted Daunte Culpepper, who was a pretty good young QB with a big arm.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don’t know how he has the platform he has. I’ve never seen anyone in the media that’s been more wrong than he’s been. He said Zeke would be back with the Cowboys this season and kept repeating it. Lol

Shane612

Reaction score
Apology?
If anything he should apologize to the cowboys' fans for the "bad" decision.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Had the Cowboys drafted Moss, he would have only been paired with Michael Irvin for one full season. His career ended after four games during the 1999 season. By 2000 the team was showing deep decline. When Moss arrived in Minnesota, they had a lot of talent, especially at receiver. They had Jake Reed and Chris Carter who took Moss under his wing. This gave Moss a lot of opportunities to make plays. The following year, the Vikings drafted Daunte Culpepper, who was a pretty good young QB with a big arm.
Yes.
All this after the fact whining and complaining about Moss is a joke. He would have made no real difference here. Just added more headaches as he proved over the years.
Once the boys started to decline starting in 97 it was all steadily downhill until BP came in 2003. Moss would have changed none of that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I love how the media acts like we're the only team that passed on Moss lol
Many fail to mention that Tennessee drafted WR Kevin Dyson ahead of Moss. He ended up with only 2300 career receiving yards and 18 TDs. Everyone points to the Cowboys a lot because everyone thought we were going to draft Moss.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Many fail to mention that Tennessee drafted WR Kevin Dyson ahead of Moss. He ended up with only 2300 career receiving yards and 18 TDs. Everyone points to the Cowboys a lot because everyone thought we were going to draft Moss.
KInd of says a lot that the players WE DO NOT DRAFT makes so much publicity. Moss, Johnny Football, etc.

rambo2

Reaction score
What are you talking about? Randy Moss said that Jerry apologized to him on the Rich Eizen show if that is what you are implying to.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
KInd of says a lot that the players WE DO NOT DRAFT makes so much publicity. Moss, Johnny Football, etc.
I wouldn’t be lumping Randy Moss with Johnny football. Drafting Manziel would’ve been an epic failure.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Ah, Draft Day 1998. … when Moss was under the impression - based on what Cowboys officials had intimated to him - that Dallas had pinpointed him at the No. 8 overall spot.​

I suspect that "you're our guy" is how players usually take the predraft 1st round conversations. If a team considers a player an option, they butter him up. You pick him, he feels loved, you don't pick him, he's a little miffed *somewhere else*. Whether the team says it or not, that's the way the player is likely to take the conversation.

Moss probably did want Dallas. Good chance we were the earliest likely pick for him. But his disappointment at not being picked by us at 8 does not make for a legitimate *grievance* against the team. Buttering up a player in a getting to know you conversation is not a crime. Pre draft discussions do not make a deal.

There was nothing to apologize to Moss for.

Plenty to apologize to staff for. Sounds like Garrett Sr. was as forceful as a Scout could have been. But his advice was not followed.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
You’re assuming Irvin even gets hurt once Aikman realizes all he has to do is lob it up to Moss for instant TDs. LOL

Don’t disagree though that Moss did himself a favor playing on the Vikings instead of the mess on our roster during the “Jerry Learning Years.”