Twitter: Fisher: Cowboys saving last spot for OL/DL

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
Mostly because he simply can't play.

And he's had plenty of time to show otherwise and hasn't.

He fact that the Cowboys have done anything and everything to keep him off the field clearly shows this, therefore there is no reason he should remain on the team.

He's had more than enough time to 'make progress' and simply hasn't.

Arkin has had three years. More than enough time.

And Livings is already done in Dallas.

IR this year, released next year.

Arkin is what he is -- a servicable backup guard. There's a good chance he'll replace Mack as the "swing" guard next season. And for a fourth-round, that's really not bad. Fans tend to have unrealistic expectations about mid-round picks.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
of course sounds wrong to you. Which is probably why it is actually the way to go.

Yep. Real shame we didn't do it and kept those players on the active roster, instead. I think you're really onto something with this idea that we did so because we were unable to trade both for a pair of seventh round picks.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Livings and Bern have been a train wreck combined, sorry but getting anything for them would be a blessing.

However, Livings is on IR and would cost the team regardless and it appears they will try to squeeze something out of Bern even if simply for depth.

If it were possible to actually trade them and receive even low draft picks it would be a no brainer.

Further, I would definitely take a look at other players because we know the Livings and Bern combo was a disaster, to not admit this fact is dead wrong!

The stiffs in question were Mack and Costa. You're getting you're scapegoats confused with each other.

Both are more tradeable than, say, Ryan Cook was last season. It's just too fun to pretend our own starters and key OL backups are worthless, I understand.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
The stiffs in question were Mack and Costa. You're getting you're scapegoats confused with each other.

Both are more tradeable than, say, Ryan Cook was last season. It's just too fun to pretend our own starters and key OL backups are worthless, I understand.

Costa is a stiff as well, add him to the list. Not fun that the OL is still a problem, maybe another offseason or two.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Costa is a stiff as well, add him to the list. Not fun that the OL is still a problem, maybe another offseason or two.

Ok. I added Phil Costa to the list of players you think are stiffs. Done.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Arkin is what he is -- a servicable backup guard. There's a good chance he'll replace Mack as the "swing" guard next season. And for a fourth-round, that's really not bad. Fans tend to have unrealistic expectations about mid-round picks.

Of course folks will whine about PFF's stats, but Arkin did reasonably well during the preseason when ranked against his peers.

The guy came a long way from last preseason.

I'm not declaring the guy someone I would want to see starting 16 games for this team, but a couple games here or there?

I don't think it would hold-back the offense.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, Costa/Bern/Livings are the best, who wants draft picks even late rounds for them, they are too valuable for that .....we can do no better.

See, now you're making things up because your actual point is weak. I've only said our starting RG and last year's starting C are players we can very likely get low-round picks for if we were interested in trading them. You said we can't, because Nate Livings is a stiff.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
See, now you're making things up because your actual point is weak. I've only said our starting RG and last year's starting C are players we can very likely get low-round picks for if we were interested in trading them. You said we can't, because Nate Livings is a stiff.

Wrong, I stated that Bern and Livings are stiffs and that I would be thrilled to get low round picks for them accordingly.

I argued that I would love to move them but realize we will not.

My stiff comment is that they are not good but that I would love to get a pick for them like a Rosario even though I do not value you them.

Risen argued that we could not get picks of them, I only agreed with him insofar as they were stiffs but I would love to get picks for them if possible.

However, Risen is correct, we probably could not unload them if we wanted to for picks.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wrong, I stated that Bern and Livings are stiffs and that I would be thrilled to get low round picks for them accordingly.

I argued that I would love to move them but realize we will not.

My stiff comment is that they are not good but that I would love to get a pick for them like a Rosario even though I do not value you them.

Risen argued that we could not get picks of them, I only agreed with him insofar as they were stiffs but I would love to get picks for them if possible.

However, Risen is correct, we probably could not unload them if we wanted to for picks.

So...your point is not that--as I originally thought you said--we 'can't' unload them for picks, but rather, your point is that we 'probably could not' unload them for picks. Got it.

That's a very nuanced position, DWAREZ. You can hardly blame me for getting confused.

But, it's true that you still think they're all 'stiffs,' right?

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
So...your point is not that--as I originally thought you said--we 'can't' unload them for picks, but rather, your point is that we 'probably could not' unload them for picks. Got it.

That's a very nuanced position, DWAREZ. You can hardly blame me for getting confused.

But, it's true that you still think they're all 'stiffs,' right?

You took issue with my post for no reason, my perspective was similar but not the same as that of Risen, after reflection, that was who you were arguing with materially speaking.

You can not blame me for your confusion, I will leave it at that because there is no point to this discussion any further.

In summary, so we are crystal clear:

1) I do think Bern/Livings are stiffs, not very good and I would love to move them accordingly.

2) If we wanted to move them or even could, I would love to find a trade partner for a low round pick.

3) I do think we probably could not or would not find any takers for these two players in reality, due to their injury history and poor play.

4) I do think Costa is a stiff, would love to get a low round pick for him, he has better trade value as he is healthy but who really knows in reality.

5) I would like to see new players at G even for depth insead of these guys and an upgrade at back up center as well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

When did one meaningful snap become too much to ask?

Not unrealistic expectations, just some.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
show me when they have actually activated him during a regular season game. Very likely he will NOT BE activated for the Giants. Would that be enough PROOF for you.

The only PROOF I need is that the coaches know what they have in Arkin and believe that he is better than anyone they cut, and apparently better than anyone any other team cut.

Deep_South

Reaction score
The only PROOF I need is that the coaches know what they have in Arkin and believe that he is better than anyone they cut, and apparently better than anyone any other team cut.

Apparently Arkin is this decade's Cory Procter.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
When did one meaningful snap become too much to ask?

Not unrealistic expectations, just some.

Are you saying he won't, or just that he hasn't? Because back-ups often find themselves playing a lot of meaningful snaps. BTW, good for you for keeping the faith on Waters. I figured that ship had sailed.