Twitter: Fisher: Cowboys to attempt two tier two signings this week

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
God, I hate how social media has allowed shysters with little to no connections make a buck while blindly speculating and regurgitating. If this tool had to actually whip up actual articles with his "scoops", instead of 140 characters or less, he'd be forced to go into at least some level of detail.

"I'm told..."
"Expect..."
"Rumor has it..."

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
That is treading water.

There has been ZERO added since the season concluded.

It is all being pushed towards the table, betting on the draft which is a process that cannot be controlled because there are 31 other teams on equal ground.

The only place where a team can tip the scales is in free agency.

In the draft, it is a battle of wits, not resources.

All true but the draft is where you get ahead in the long run.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When the team does the same things they’ve done in the past, how can one expect the future will be much different?

It’s not about being miserable. It’s about not being naive and blindly loyal.

But it's not doing exactly the same things as they did in the past... A least not during the Campo era or even as recent as the Wade Phillips era.

Yeah they made mistakes last offseason signing players that they should not have. But at this juncture I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt this offseason.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
lol, Jerry don't sign FA's by position of need he signs by whoever is willing to sign for the least amount of money........our GM sure knows how to get the fanbased fired up.

Dre11

Reaction score
Actually happy fans like you amuse me. It is always good for laughs when you are all so strident about "what is being built" and how you believe that this team will suddenly emerge from 20 plus years of darkness to win it all.

And don't flatter yourself, nobody wants you to change. Keep doing what you do. Everybody needs a foil.

So why the hell do you claim to be a fan, if you have no hope? That just seem insane.

CapnB

Reaction score
LOL. The team has 3 ********* playoff wins in 20 years and has been to the playoffs twice in Garrett’s 8 seasons.

But fans don’t really have anything to be negative about. LOL.

When you guys post stuff like this, do you do it with a straight face?

In all fairness there hasnt been but one season during that time where we werent in a position to make the playoffs. But, in saying that. If it werent for Romo that wouldnt have happened.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I think the real issue is that many fans view things over longer periods of time while others view things from season to season.

Every new season a lot of teams can point to one or two things that could have dramatically improved their previous season. If a key player wasn't hurt or suspended, or they had benched a player sooner, or a turnover did not happen, etc. gives teams reason for hope and optimism for the upcoming season.

The real issue though is that at some point, you have to look at the a larger block of time and evaluate that as well. For example, when Garrett was hired, I was not excited about it, but I wasn't down on it either. I viewed it more as a "let's see what happened in 2-3 years" after seeing him turn the team around mid-season.

Now, here we are several years later and there is still not even a deep playoff run. When you go back further, it's been 20+ years since the last time a Cowboys team did that and for better or worse patience is finally starting to disappear even among many fans who have been loyal and annually optimistic despite year after year of failures.

For me, it's not about assigning blame or fault, but rather accepting that what they have been doing has simply not produced tangible post-season results. Given that we are stuck with the same GM and head coach for yet another year forces fans to focus more on the player changes that are being made since that's the only real changes being made because the fourth and fifth tier coaches added will still be following and implementing systems and game plans from the same people.

I think we all know the Cowboys prefer to focus on the draft, which would be fine, but the team also has an annoying habit of starting the season with the rookies, that were drafted to fill holes that were ignored during free agency, sitting on the bench. There are exceptions of course to high first round picks, but overall, the staff seems to look at non-high first round picks as this year's backups and "next" year's starters too many times.

Even if we hit it big in the draft every year, we are eventually going to have trouble keeping our own players so whether we draft them, we sign them as free agents or we trade for them really is going to matter less and less as teams are willing to overpay for even average players.

It's time for this team to stop thinking about the future and start focusing on winning right now. Maybe if the Cowboys were not worth so much money, they would care more about that. As it is, 8-8 to 13-3 and a playoff win every few years seems to be enough for them to maintain the status quo year after year with a few token tweaks thrown in just to create the illusion of improvement.
I let everyone else stress for me. They do a much better job than I, in that department.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Not to mention that we gave 3 games away last year, so we should have won 12 last year.

I really wonder why some of these guys even bother being fans. Being a fan should be having hope coming into every season, while our fans love to find stuff to be negative about and a good 75% of the time there is not even anything there to be negative about. They just love being miserable and want the rest of us to be miserable too.

Who is miserable, Beast is happy as can be............my happiness is not tied to the performance of a professional sports team, nobody's should.

With that said Mr. Zebra, I am not blind like you are.

I see a roster that is woefully under talented to compete for and in the playoffs and a front office that is either too cheap or too inept to fix it. Throw in an incompetent head coach with a paint by crayon offense that every defense in the league has memorized by now and it doesn't take much to figure out this team is not going to win anything significant besides a wildcard game every blue moon and this season will be no different.

How confident am I? I have stated that this team will not get past the 2nd round of the playoffs under Garrett and this year is no different. I have openly challenged any posters in other threads to a simple bet, if the team makes it past the 2nd round of the playoffs, then Beast will not log on for 1 month. Vice versa, if the team does not get past the second round, the poster challenging me takes a 1 month vacation.

So far not a single poster, including you, has taken my bet.............that tells me right there all I need to know about how good this team is.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
When the team does the same things they’ve done in the past, how can one expect the future will be much different?

It’s not about being miserable. It’s about not being naive and blindly loyal.
I think we are all blindly loyal.
It's why we spend time on here, debating this team over and over dissecting every move and non move.
It's ok to have differing views. It's how this board exists.

Our passion is what should be fuelling Jerry. Sadly it doesn't....

Sydla

Reaction score
But it's not doing exactly the same things as they did in the past... A least not during the Campo era or even as recent as the Wade Phillips era.

Yeah they made mistakes last offseason signing players that they should not have. But at this juncture I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt this offseason.

Not just last offseason. They’ve sat out FA for 3-4 years and guess what? That’s not working either.

This franchise has no concept of the middle ground. It went from blowing all their money in FA to avoiding it until all that’s left are cheap bottom of the barrel players who, not surprisingly, don’t help the team.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
So why the hell do you claim to be a fan, if you have no hope? That just seem insane.
I could say the same about someone who says the same thing over and over every year.

This is the year we finally get it on track! Never mind reality, they got this, honest!

Isn't that kind of a big deal around here? Repeating that definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again?

blindzebra

Reaction score
I don't get the "Well we've been losers for 20 years" or whatever the mantra about needing to dig into the past in order to make one that much more miserable. To me the past is the past, the present is the present and the future is the future and the connection from one to another many times is non-existent or fleeting at best. It's not always about dumb decisions either, quite often luck or lack there-of plays a part and that's why I prefer to leave the past in the past and to feel ****ty about it means feeling ****ty about some of the great players I got to watch like Romo.
I grew up surrounded by Cubs' fans, and couldn't help but pull for them. That fan base deserved a championship because they never gave up on their team. I wish we had more fans like that, might even swing the tide.

Alexander

Reaction score
I think we are all blindly loyal.
It's why we spend time on here, debating this team over and over dissecting every move and non move.
It's ok to have differing views. It's how this board exists.

Our passion is what should be fuelling Jerry. Sadly it doesn't....
Exactly.

You are a terrible person and need to turn in your fan card. You are a monster.

Dre11

Reaction score
I could say the same about someone who says the same thing over and over every year.

This is the year we finally get it on track! Never mind reality, they got this, honest!

Isn't that kind of a big deal around here? Repeating that definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again?

So you didn’t answer the question. You have no hope, you complain about everything. If you was married to a woman you hate, why stay?

Alexander

Reaction score
I grew up surrounded by Cubs' fans, and couldn't help but pull for them. That fan base deserved a championship because they never gave up on their team. I wish we had more fans like that, might even swing the tide.
Because yes, all those Cubs fans really wore down destiny and it finally paid off.

You know, like those loyal blind Eagles fans finally got it done. It had nothing to do with what the clubs themselves did.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Being a fan isn't having hope.
Fanatics are addicts. That is all of us on here. It manifests itself in multiple ways.
I don't doubt the loyalty and love of this team of anybody who posts here .
My wife thinks we're all bloody nerds and idiots lol