Fisher: Cowboys wanted CB or Safety at 90

CWR

Reaction score
I have never been so sick and tired of a player until health.

Every freaking year this guys name is just lingering around and the FO acts like there is no way possible to find anything a smidget better.

I'm surprised they signed iloka.

Lol, yeah that a fairly general consensus. I dont hate him, but... I sure was looking forward to an upgrade.

Gaede

Reaction score
They should've traded up for Harris or Layne.

I'd rather have either of them than a backup G who won't start for a year and the collection of scrubs we got in the 5th and 6th

Kaiser

Reaction score
Calvin Watkins wrote an article on The Athletic about the war room discussions, it was very clear the issue with McGovern was that he was the last of their picks with a second round rating and he was sitting there at the end of the 3rd round. He said Kellen Moore and Marc Columbo went though their thoughts, but no one in the room had any reason to go away from BPA when the guy was rated so much higher than that draft spot.

He also said they think McGovern can challenge for playing time THIS year, which was interesting.

jrumann59

Reaction score
McGregor was our best value pick and sets us up great to move on from Collins next year. Maybe this year. That's a big deal.

We've already signed a SS to get Heath out of the box. Woods and Frazier should both be better.

There are still free agent safeties out there. Berry is still out there. Move Collins, save 10 mil, spend a chunk of that on Berry. I think that makes us a lot better team.

We're not done yet. If they wanted to draft a safety at 90, they'll still be looking at free agents.

Passing up the value McGregor gave would have been a mistake.
Berry and his heel are huge question mark, there is a reason why he is still unsigned. If Berry will take a huge pay cut yeah no problem but I doubt it. That kid will be on the injury report as questionable/doubtful all year

reddyuta

Reaction score

I'd rather have either of them than a backup G who won't start for a year and the collection of scrubs we got in the 5th and 6th

My personal opinion but i think they had made up their mind well before that draft not to trade up because they didnt have a 1st rd pick and were picking so late in the RD.

jrumann59

Reaction score

Most OL outside the 1st round do not start and the ones in the 1st that start usually struggle to a degree. I have no issue drafting a guy that will be a starter next year. I consider DBs high risk/reward types then other positions on the defense.

boysfaninMI

Reaction score
Cowboys also wanted Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook 3 years ago. And, well, we got lucky and got Dak. Sometime, it is better to get what you didn't want at first.

Absolutely. But then we took Ellis over Randy Moss years ago. Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail. But I do agree with Cal Poly in that I'd rather be aggressive and get 4-5 potential difference makers rather than 7-8 JAG's. Even though McClay is competent, Jerry and his boy aren't. They've come up on the short end in plenty of draft day trades since Jimmy left. Giving away all those #1's for Joey Galloway and Roy Williams was criminal too. So in the end, if they would just get the hell out of the way....literally vacate the draft room: it would really help all the way around. Yeah, I know: welcome to 20 years ago.

I said it in '95: enjoy this one because we won't win another under JJ and I still feel that way. Running off Jimmy and the subsequent mismanagement of this team the last 20+ years has been pretty noticeable. It's not horrible like Arizona or Cinci but it's there. The fact JJ and his not so prodigal son can't/won't get OUT of the building continues to be the main problem this organization has.

morasp

Reaction score
I'm not going to pretend like I know more than people whose jobs depend on the Cowboys being successful and McGovern will probably turn out to be a good pick. Hopefully at least he will be better than our last third round offensive lineman. But, there were two pretty highly rated safeties there with Hooker and Thompson and the DE Zach Allen all of whom were rated a little higher than McGovern on NFL.com. In addition to that counting Cooper, McGovern, and Pollard three of our first four picks were used on offense. Our offense should be dominant this year. I know I will be watching Allen, Thompson, and Hooker with interest in how well they turn out.

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Berry and his heel are huge question mark, there is a reason why he is still unsigned. If Berry will take a huge pay cut yeah no problem but I doubt it. That kid will be on the injury report as questionable/doubtful all year

This is why Jerry is the man for Berry. Jerry has a sports medicine center and is willing to take risks.

Incentive laden contract protects both sides. Berry gets the chance to play on a big stage auditioning for the league for next year. Everyone is a winner.

TonyS

Reaction score
Calvin Watkins wrote an article on The Athletic about the war room discussions, it was very clear the issue with McGovern was that he was the last of their picks with a second round rating and he was sitting there at the end of the 3rd round. He said Kellen Moore and Marc Columbo went though their thoughts, but no one in the room had any reason to go away from BPA when the guy was rated so much higher than that draft spot.

He also said they think McGovern can challenge for playing time THIS year, which was interesting.

If true, then they went BPA at their 3rd pick, which was many Zoners' favorite acrostic and mantra in year's past. I think most are unhappy that Hill was chosen first, which allowed other coveted players (Thornhill) to be chosen by another team, and only left McCloud the BPA, but I'd be splitting hairs. What we need now is a Patriots Insider to leak how they were going to pick Hill at the end of the 2nd. That has been a salve for previous poor draft choices made or not made in the past.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I think that is sound strategy if the followed their board. I just hope they have a backup plan to address safety from outside.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have never been so sick and tired of a player until health.

Every freaking year this guys name is just lingering around and the FO acts like there is no way possible to find anything a smidget better.

I'm surprised they signed iloka.
Heath is a great ST player and dime package guy. Don't hate a guy because this front office doesn't know how to acquire talent at the position.
Every team needs guys like him. It's just that most of them don't ask him to start..

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Heath is a great ST player and dime package guy. Don't hate a guy because this front office doesn't know how to acquire talent at the position.
Every team needs guys like him. It's just that most of them don't ask him to start..

Heath is a good ST guy.....period.