Fisher: Cowboys wanted CB or Safety at 90

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
So thats what gets teams in trouble is reaching for need which they did with hill. They had thornhill rated higher and should have selected him.

Where did you hear that they had Thornhill rated rather than Hill?

luckyman76

Reaction score
It's pretty common knowledge we could have drafted Thornhill, McGovern, and still picked Hill. McGovern was going to be gone and the Boys have always been bad about not reading correctly on when players are going. They had Thornhill and immediately after Hill all 3 of those guys go. Rapp for me was a no go as another box SS. Basically it was Thornhill or Adderly and Thornhill was superior. McGovern feels like a slam dunk and will probably be a 10 yr starter. Hill would have looked like a good chance to take in the 4th and really wouldn't have affected our draft at all. I think a lot of teams and reporters hyped him up from a 5th-6th round pick because of his raw talent and we took the bait. He likely turns out good so not a wasted pick but we missed a chance on a S that we will have to make up elsewhere. I don't see us signing Berry but trading for Joseph is essentially another SS. We have a ton of those. If he is being given away maybe its cheap enough. I am tired of seeing Heath back there. With Thornhill we could have started him with Woods or even still made a trade for Joseph and cut some of the other dead weight with Woods filling in more in nickel packages.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Where did you hear that they had Thornhill rated rather than Hill?
Where did they have Thornhill rated higher than Hill?
They went back and forth on the two prospects of which to pick and they valued the 3T more than safety. After 30 years of following this team it's not hard to understand how they operates, at least not for me. Without a doubt they had Thornhill ranked higher and their way of justifying the Hill pick over him was selling us on the oh mighty 3T position that Roddle loves. This is the same crap that Roddle pulled a couple years ago with drafting Taco over Watt. We should've stuck to our board and not allowed a 90 year old senile coach get in our way of drafting again. Probably would've been able to get Hill in the 3rd anyway.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Berry is holding out for a better deal, as he should. Deals are made under time pressure, and he's not under it.

The sports medicine center means the Cowboys are in a better position to evaluate Berry than any other team. Unknowns equate to risk equate to less interest. We're in the best position to eliminate unknowns, and Jerry is more comfortable with risk than the rest of the league, and can afford to, as the owner/gm who doesn't have to seat getting fired.
Except maybe the team he has been playing for. He is done or pretty close. He either needs surgery to remove the bone spur or he will need to be "handled" all year with hopes he makes it through a 16 game season. Yeah, pass.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
They went back and forth on the two prospects of which to pick and they valued the 3T more than safety. After 30 years of following this team it's not hard to understand how they operates, at least not for me. Without a doubt they had Thornhill ranked higher and their way of justifying the Hill pick over him was selling us on the oh mighty 3T position that Roddle loves. This is the same crap that Roddle pulled a couple years ago with drafting Taco over Watt. We should've stuck to our board and not allowed a 90 year old senile coach get in our way of drafting again. Probably would've been able to get Hill in the 3rd anyway.

So you’re just assuming they had Thornhill higher and allowing yourself to get upset off that assumption?

Last edited:

visionary

Reaction score
This is a total misrepresentation of what was on the video. There was no disfunction at all, and in fact it seemed to go very smoothly.

They had several options, they discussed, and they reached a decision very quickly and easily.

How else were they supposed to reach a decision in a very short time frame without throwing out thoughts and discussing? Do you want there to be no discussion and one guy makes unilateral decisions regardless of what anyone else thinks?

But but but you guys have been telling us (Urban Legend alert) that McClay is the "real GM" making these picks

Where was McClay in this video?
Did he make the final decision on the pick?
And this was the 3rd round pick, if Jerry is making this pick you think he lets McClay make the 1st and 2nd round picks?

I just dont want to hear from FO apologists in the future that McClay is the real GM or that Garrett is building this team

Just shut it

visionary

Reaction score
How is this being misrepresented? It's right there in the video...everyone can look for themselves. Point being...our draft is still being directed by a senial guy that probably puts in half the time to know how the draft is going to go.

If you study the draft...put together a draft board...you can get a sense of who is going where. I do it every year....yet here is a video of a room full of guys that are just winging it.

From a fans perspective....that's unacceptable. This is supposed to be a professional organization. Their philosophy of "let the draft come to us"...is flawed.

You mean "from a SENSIBLE fans perspective it is unacceptable " because there are plenty of stupid cowboy fans in this very thread who are fine with this crap

Sydla

Reaction score
I have criticized this front office as much as the next guy but I suspect conversations like this go down in many draft rooms around the league.

We are just the idiot franchise that decides to give people way too much access into their war room. I mean we are the franchise that has let people snap pictures in the war room that accidently shows our draft board, for chrissakes.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
So you’re just assuming they had Thornhill higher and allowing yourself to get upset off that assumption?
I’m not upset. Just stating the obvious but people like you need to be told things from news outlets to believe things, I’m capable of this thing called critical thinking.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I’m not upset. Just stating the obvious but people like you need to be told things from news outlets to believe things, I’m capable of this thing called critical thinking.

Lol, critical thinking?

More like baseless speculation resulting in unnecessary angst.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Lol, critical thinking?

More like baseless speculation resulting in unnecessary angst.
Ok let me spell this out for you.
If Hill was ranked higher than Thornill then the team comes out and says it was an easy decision. He was the number one guy remaining on our board and happened to play one of our most important positions on defense.
You wouldn’t be hearing it came down to two players (Hill and Thornhill), and we went with Hill because we value the 3T more than the saftey position and it came down to Rod wanting the Dlimeman more.
It’s not hard to understand, unless....

Add this in too

#FishTips 3) #Cowboys took Penn St. OL Connor McGregor. A 'need'? Maybe in the future. But the logic? Source tells me DAL grade on McGregor was HIGHER than on Hill or Thornhill. If you believe in BAA, you have to believe in McGregor pick.

There you go. A reliable source telling you. Just what you need right. They didn’t draft BPA. End of story and original argument

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Except maybe the team he has been playing for. He is done or pretty close. He either needs surgery to remove the bone spur or he will need to be "handled" all year with hopes he makes it through a 16 game season. Yeah, pass.

Tyron needs to be "handled" too. It's working out. In Berry's case we know the health issues up front and can plan the contract accordingly.

You're not one of the many complaining about safety play, right?

jrumann59

Reaction score
Tyron needs to be "handled" too. It's working out. In Berry's case we know the health issues up front and can plan the contract accordingly.

You're not one of the many complaining about safety play, right?
I believe it needs to be upgraded but I do not believe signing a high risk like Berry that has injury in area that is 100% key to his performance, his heel. Chances say you get Berry that is closer to say a Boston than Berry closer to say Berry of 3 years ago. He is no longer a generational talent