Video: Fisher: Is Earl Thomas Not Better Than Cowboys Safeties?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Have no idea who's on the council but the relationship between FO & players in Baltimore has been reported (also spoken about by former players) as a strong one for many years so it far precedes ET.

I don't disagree that games get played in the media, but for me, everything seems to lineup with how I believe the Ravens operate.
So you have no evidence that is how they operate the media has you perceiving it that way. Got it. No Ravens player is man enough to champion the move but were 100% behind it?

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Has Thomas or his agent refuted the reports that ET was late for and missed meetings? It sounds like ET was trying to either get away with whatever he could or force his way out. Baltimore might recoup $10 million if they win a grievance against him - which would be impossible without enough evidence. This makes zero sense for Baltimore to do unless 1. Thomas wasn't a good player or 2. Thomas was a clubhouse cancer. One of those would have to be true, and his play may not have been All-Pro worthy last season but we was still a good player.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course he is better, but talent isn't the only consideration. Pay, attitude and off field baggage are also factors to be considered.

conner01

Reaction score
First, so glad we didn't sign him last year so our cap isn't getting hit.

Second, its pretty well understood that Baltimore is a well run organization both within the locker room & front office. They obviously believed in the talent to give him the deal last year. For them to walk away from the player and money at stake is very telling. Reports are that the players were 100% behind the move so this is one of the most clear cut situations you'll ever see. The problem is Earl.

Until Earl changes, there isn't any hope for successful relationship between Earl and any team.
Exactly
No team takes that kind of hit unless things were really bad

conner01

Reaction score
One of the few big mistakes that team has made in the last several years.
Big red flag, as far as I'm concerned, but you never know how he would act playing for the team he's always wanted to play for.

I'm honestly conflicted 50/50 both ways.
I get that
I think this is where he wanted to be and that might have changed some of his behavior in the locker room
But I suspect some of these issues as a team mate and in his private life have been going on awhile
Love the talent but the man scares me
Rather just ride with who we have and look to next draft for a safety

Cowfan75

Reaction score
I guess I don't panic so much over how our locker room will handle ET. These are grown men there to do a job. There was plenty of turmoil in the locker room in the 90's, and that decade turned out pretty well for us...strong coach granted. Plus, it seems like our locker room was pretty quiet last season, and how did we fare in the worst division in football?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
If you guys watch the 2nd vid it answers all questions.
The reason no team wants him now is Balt is contesting having to pay him 10 mil, and he is fighting that.
Ian said that wont be resolved till maybe in the off season.
If it is resolved, then a team might have to pay him 10 mil or they might get him for minimum and balt has to pay the 10 mil.
If the latter is the case a whole bunch of teams will want him, and Earl wants a winning team, that plays his scheme, which balt did not. ( and i dont know if dallas plays his scheme, so that might be an issue)
So it is all up to when the pay issue is resolved.

Also Dallas is maybe waiting till after the season starts, because that way they dont have to pay the whole salary whatever it may be.
Cheaper to wait.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the few big mistakes that team has made in the last several years.
Big red flag, as far as I'm concerned, but you never know how he would act playing for the team he's always wanted to play for.

I'm honestly conflicted 50/50 both ways.

I'm right there with you.

tenor.gif

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
If you guys watch the 2nd vid it answers all questions.
The reason no team wants him now is Balt is contesting having to pay him 10 mil, and he is fighting that.
Ian said that wont be resolved till maybe in the off season.
If it is resolved, then a team might have to pay him 10 mil or they might get him for minimum and balt has to pay the 10 mil.
If the latter is the case a whole bunch of teams will want him, and Earl wants a winning team, that plays his scheme, which balt did not. ( and i dont know if dallas plays his scheme, so that might be an issue)
So it is all up to when the pay issue is resolved.

Also Dallas is maybe waiting till after the season starts, because that way they dont have to pay the whole salary whatever it may be.
Cheaper to wait.
Nobody else is on the hook for the 10 million if they sign him now. The grievance is between Baltimore and ET.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
You can draw all the conclusions and conspiracies you want. But even if the Ravens get some of his salary back, they are willing to pay 10 million dollars to a player to NOT play on their team.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
better watch the video again lol
I did. The offset doesn't mean what you think it means. No other team would be on the hook for the 10 million, regardless. Any money from a new agreement would be deducted from the 10 million that the Ravens would potentially be on the hook for (if they are obligated). Again, it matters to ET and Baltimore.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I think it is a definite possibility ET gets added after wk 1 so none of his contract is guaranteed if he gets cut. Makes sense for both parties: protects the team from losing money if the move fails, and strengthens ET’s bargaining position as it prevents teams from low balling him due to character concerns.