Five Conclusions - #1 Promote Rod Marinelli to Head Coach, immediately.

Discussion in 'Overtime Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Sep 15, 2014.

1. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

5,211 Messages
    1,323 Likes Received
    I'm pretty sure Rod Marinelli is happy where he is at this stage in his career, a DC.

2. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Fire Garrett

8,881 Messages
    5,182 Likes Received
    I don't want Rod as HC but I don't think what he did in Detroit means he'd fail here.

3. Idgit

Idgit Riding the Red Rocket Staff Member

56,533 Messages
    56,411 Likes Received
    Team wins? Start your fire-the-head-coach thread! Like the other points, except I do think the reaction to Murray's good production needs to be tempered until he stops putting the ball on the ground.

Wheeltax likes this.
  4. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

9,766 Messages
    3,870 Likes Received
    You lost me at #1.

Nirvana, Cas2800 and CowboyMike like this.
  5. erod

erod Well-Known Member

28,375 Messages
    39,603 Likes Received
    Have you looked at the two?

And you won't blame Marinelli because of the Lions' front office, but you want to blame Garrett for the circus Jerry runs?

Wheeltax likes this.
  6. movaughn88

movaughn88 Well-Known Member

1,073 Messages
    1,854 Likes Received
    Other than the first point I agree. I think you're being agenda-driven in your allocation of credit here. True, maybe I am as well, but hear me out.

Yes, Garrett has made some bad decisions in the past, but I think it's fairly well evident that Garrett is the main reason that McClain is here. He sought out Saban, who he has a close personal relationship with, and asked him about Rolando. He reported to the front office on it. Let's just say if this was a sales team he would get the credit for sourcing that trade. He is on record as being a driving force in getting a lot younger on the defense in general which is one of your other points.

I also understand that due to the Cowboys teams he played for in the 90's, he's dreamed of this type of offensive line for years, so if any credit for those draft moves is doled around, he gets some and Marinelli gets zero.

I'm certainly not saying RM gets no credit for cooking with some goods that no one really thought were brand name, but discounting Garrett in the positive developments we are seeing on the field is biased.

Cas2800, Tommy and CowboyMike like this.
  7. Mr_C

Mr_C Carharris2

8,931 Messages
    9,249 Likes Received
  8. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

5,758 Messages
    6,623 Likes Received
    I hear by nominate Gus Malzan..

9. Hostile

Hostile The Duke

119,560 Messages
    4,444 Likes Received
    You've got to love the reactionary naivete of youth. I still remember when he was sure Miles Austin was better than Dez.

10. Primetime42

Primetime42 Well-Known Member

3,448 Messages
    756 Likes Received
    RIght away your first point nullifies whatever good your other points were. Didn't even bother reading them.

Nirvana and Cas2800 like this.
  11. Future

Future Intramural Legend

21,007 Messages
    6,897 Likes Received
    lol....

12. plymkr

plymkr Well-Known Member

2,737 Messages
    3,472 Likes Received
    I for one appreciate the starcraft 2 references. Being an avid starcraft 2 player it is painful watching a 7 year old play that game. It's like watching someone with a lot of money and resources with no clue how to apply it to life. Kind of like watching a head coach playing not to lose instead of playing to win. Or a head coach who somehow finds ways of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Fortunately that didn't happen yesterday.

My 2 cents on Marinelli is he is the best Defgensive coordinator since Dave Wandstadt (sp). I get frustrated with Garret but I'm not ready to promote Marinelli to HC quite yet. But I really don't want to lose him in the offseason. With the amount of talent, or lack thereof on defense, and with how they played yesterday is a testament to Marinelli's skill level. If you twisted my arm and said that at the end of the year we have to make a decision to keep Garret or lose Marinelli, I'd have to keep Marinelli. Garret doesn't impress me on game day but I am impressed that he has Jerry's ear when it comes to drafting. Dallas as a franchise has never drafted 3 o linemen in the first round like we have under Garret. So Jerry is doing something different with Garret that he didn't do with anyone besides Johnson. So on that note Garret is invaluable cuz we don't want Jerry being the only voice on draft day or with free agents. Now on game day Garret can be frustrating with his decision making. So if you put a gun to my head, and please don't by the way, Garret and Marinelli have shown they do not have quite what it takes to be a successful head coach. One coach, Garret, Jerry listens to. The other Coach, Marinelli, gets the most from the less talented players. So I want to see how this defense stacks up against offenses better than the titans. It we walk away with the same defensive perfomance against seattle, washington, New Orleans etc., then that could change a lot of minds about M being the head coach.

13. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

14,199 Messages
    7,573 Likes Received
    never once. I have blamed Garrett for his coaching mistakes.

14. TellerMorrow34

TellerMorrow34 BraveHeartFan

28,358 Messages
    5,076 Likes Received
    Shoot I remember who he was 100% certain that Austin was the best WR in the NFL...EVER. Better than a guy named Jerry Rice.

This first point in the OP's post is exactly why people shouldn't be allowed to drink until they're old enough to know the responsibility of doing so. That first point was as jumbled a mess of thoughts as I've ever seen on these forums.

I'm not Garrett fan but I certainly don't want Rod as the HC.

WPBCowboysFan likes this.
  15. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

16,088 Messages
    3,945 Likes Received
    I believe once OScan comes back, he would like to take his title as best defensive player back.

16. boysfanindc

boysfanindc Well-Known Member

4,555 Messages
    1,836 Likes Received
    Agreed, plus he is one of the leaders and brings a lot of swagger and leadership. Will be good to have Oscan back.

Frozen700 likes this.
  17. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

13,803 Messages
    13,305 Likes Received
    Props to the GM for making it happen

18. erod

erod Well-Known Member

28,375 Messages
    39,603 Likes Received
    Just like every fan base does in the other 31 NFL cities.

19. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

75,959 Messages
    42,665 Likes Received
    He is far better as a cordinator than HC just like Wade Phillips.

20. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

10,265 Messages
    6,532 Likes Received
    A legitimate top 15 defense, and we are sure of this after 2 whole games?

2 games must really tell us a lot. Our DC who laid an 0-16 in Detroit should be our HC starting with game 3. Got it. LEGITIMATE top 15 defense. Got it. Rolando is the best ever even tho he just unretired after lacking motivation and commitment to the game and we need to sign him now to a long term deal. Got it. And whatever else was posted. Got it.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to buy whatever Jerry may be selling before Im buying anything in the OP. From what I can tell here, Jerry handles the JW Blue Label far better than the OP.