Five Conclusions - #1 Promote Rod Marinelli to Head Coach, immediately.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
A legitimate top 15 defense, and we are sure of this after 2 whole games?

2 games must really tell us a lot. Our DC who laid an 0-16 in Detroit should be our HC starting with game 3. Got it. LEGITIMATE top 15 defense. Got it. Rolando is the best ever even tho he just unretired after lacking motivation and commitment to the game and we need to sign him now to a long term deal. Got it. And whatever else was posted. Got it.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to buy whatever Jerry may be selling before Im buying anything in the OP. From what I can tell here, Jerry handles the JW Blue Label far better than the OP.

You have to consider whose sure of these things.

He was sure Miles Austin was Canton Bound and a better WR than Jerry Rice after 1 start in KC.

He was sure Miles Austin was so much better than Dez that Dallas would regret drafting Dez and Miles would be here long after Dez was out of Dallas.

There are plenty of other things he was certain of after a short time. He's a good kid but he just doesn't think things through before he posts them on here.

Ever.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Yes, Garrett has made some bad decisions in the past, but I think it's fairly well evident that Garrett is the main reason that McClain is here. He sought out Saban, who he has a close personal relationship with, and asked him about Rolando. He reported to the front office on it. Let's just say if this was a sales team he would get the credit for sourcing that trade. He is on record as being a driving force in getting a lot younger on the defense in general which is one of your other points.

People mention this and I have yet to see any evidence or quote from Gerrett, Saban or McClain that even hints that this happened. It's all speculation and used to prop up and defend Garrett. What we do know is that that Lee went down and the Cowboys were desperate for a LB. Saban could have made this mysterious call prior to the draft and, if he did, the Cowboys still went out and drafted Hitchens to back up Lee. It could be just as plausible that the Ravens had his rights, knew Dallas was in dire need of a LB and called Jerry about McClain. That's what good GM's do.

He is on record as being a driving force in getting a lot younger on the defense in general which is one of your other points.

Where is he on record?

I'm not doubting that you may be correct and read something. I'd just like to be pointed to that reference you used.

Dodger12

Reaction score
My 2 cents on Marinelli is he is the best Defgensive coordinator since Dave Wandstadt (sp).

That's a stretch. Butch Davis, Mike Zimmer and Wade Phillips were pretty good. I didn't like Phillips as a HC, but he's a pretty good DC with a track record.

Garret doesn't impress me on game day but I am impressed that he has Jerry's ear when it comes to drafting. Dallas as a franchise has never drafted 3 o linemen in the first round like we have under Garret. So Jerry is doing something different with Garret that he didn't do with anyone besides Johnson. So on that note Garret is invaluable cuz we don't want Jerry being the only voice on draft day or with free agents.......One coach, Garret, Jerry listens to.

How do you know this? And how could Garrett be the driving force in drafting OL in the first round when he (and TC) publicly pouted on draft day for all to see when we passed on Shariff Floyd? And if Garrett was around for the SB years, why didn't he use his powers of influence over Jerry much sooner to build the lines before they reached their horrific state which facilitated using first round picks on OL? It was more desperation than Garrett's organizational philosophy that led to us using 3 first round picks on OL.

There's a whole lot of evidence, from Garrett having to fire his brother to having his play calling removed two years running, that Jerry may not listen to Garrett all that much or respect his play calling abilities on gameday.

movaughn88

Reaction score
Where is he on record?

I'm not doubting that you may be correct and read something. I'd just like to be pointed to that reference you used.

Hah, I actually wasn't thinking of a particular reference when I said that. But he has been publicly and privately stressing youth for years, and backing it up with the rebuilding of the old Oline and now the Dline. I'm not going to comb through historical articles, but here's a quote:

“We started with a plan to make the team younger, to build the team the right way, to bring the cornerstone pieces in, and we feel like we’ve done that,” Garrett said. “Now, is that job complete? It’s not even close to being complete.”

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...jason-garrett-already-faced-with-futility.ece

My overall point is I think we are starting to see some of the benefits of his "program" approach. I will admit in this league its been a painful few years of bad football and it remains to be seen if he's around to continue it. On the McClain thing, this article actually lays all the evidence I was thinking of. It's not water tight, but I'd wager he had a lot to do with the trade, at the least vetting McClain.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014...a-nick-saban-prior-to-signing-rolando-McClain

Dodger12

Reaction score
Hah, I actually wasn't thinking of a particular reference when I said that. But he has been publicly and privately stressing youth for years, and backing it up with the rebuilding of the old Oline and now the Dline. I'm not going to comb through historical articles, but here's a quote:

“We started with a plan to make the team younger, to build the team the right way, to bring the cornerstone pieces in, and we feel like we’ve done that,” Garrett said. “Now, is that job complete? It’s not even close to being complete.”

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...jason-garrett-already-faced-with-futility.ece

My overall point is I think we are starting to see some of the benefits of his "program" approach. I will admit in this league its been a painful few years of bad football and it remains to be seen if he's around to continue it. On the McClain thing, this article actually lays all the evidence I was thinking of. It's not water tight, but I'd wager he had a lot to do with the trade, at the least vetting McClain.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014...a-nick-saban-prior-to-signing-rolando-McClain

Credit to you Mo. I've asked that question(s) several times and no one has answered except for you. The McClain article you posted had several links to stories where Garrett mentioned some (recent) communication with Saban regarding McClain. Not a whole lot to argue about and thanks for the link.

On the point about Garrett being the driving force to get younger, I'm not sold. He's done nothing that other teams haven't done in the same time frame in terms of turning over the roster. Matter of fact, he's had it much easier. He inherited "cornerstone" players such as a franchise QB, a HOF TE still in his prime and a HOF DE still in his prime. The QB and DE are arguably the hardest positions to find and/or hit on in the draft. We know Garrett wanted a back-up RB (Felix Jones) and a defensive tackle (Floyd). I'd hardly consider a back-up, change of pace RB a cornerstone position to be burning first round draft picks on.

The rest of Garrett's coach speak in the link you provided is just Garrett trying to justify and save his job in the last year of his contract. Jerry says he won't extend him, Garrett says he's building something here and the job's not done. Garrett couldn't fix this team with a franchise QB and other "cornerstone" pieces already in place when he took over so I'm not really sure what cornerstone pieces he's referring to. I have no faith, based on his past 4 years, that Garrett will able to identify, draft and develop the next franchise QB. That's the next monumental task at hand.

plymkr

Reaction score
That's a stretch. Butch Davis, Mike Zimmer and Wade Phillips were pretty good. I didn't like Phillips as a HC, but he's a pretty good DC with a track record.

How do you know this? And how could Garrett be the driving force in drafting OL in the first round when he (and TC) publicly pouted on draft day for all to see when we passed on Shariff Floyd? And if Garrett was around for the SB years, why didn't he use his powers of influence over Jerry much sooner to build the lines before they reached their horrific state which facilitated using first round picks on OL? It was more desperation than Garrett's organizational philosophy that led to us using 3 first round picks on OL.

There's a whole lot of evidence, from Garrett having to fire his brother to having his play calling removed two years running, that Jerry may not listen to Garrett all that much or respect his play calling abilities on gameday.

I dont' have any "insider information" if that is what your asking. But I believe jerry had a rule that he wouldn't draft offensive linemen in the first round. I'm referring to the draft day story of drafting Larry Allen. At the time he was the highest offensive linemen drafted in the jones era. We have drafted other offensive linemen in the second round since then but none in the first if I remember right, until Garret showed. So it seems Jerry changed a little bit with Garret. From my point of view he has opened himself up more to either his scouts garret or his son. Imo.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
The rest of Garrett's coach speak in the link you provided is just Garrett trying to justify and save his job in the last year of his contract. Jerry says he won't extend him, Garrett says he's building something here and the job's not done. Garrett couldn't fix this team with a franchise QB and other "cornerstone" pieces already in place when he took over so I'm not really sure what cornerstone pieces he's referring to.
Don't you know, he has Pro Bowl talent at literally every position on offense... We can't possibly judge him until he has the same on defense!

Garrett is such a politician snake. He's consistently, if subtly, always made excuses for himself like this while simultaneously propping the job he's done. If this year doesn't work out, it's going to be more injuries, or Romo's back, or something.

I guess if your boss is dumb enough to buy that it takes half a decade to build a good team in today's NFL when you'd already inherited many good players including a top QB, it doesn't hurt to try to sell it.

But as dumb as Jerry may be, I'm not sure even he is that dumb.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Don't you know, he has Pro Bowl talent at literally every position on offense... We can't possibly judge him until he has the same on defense!

Garrett is such a politician snake. He's consistently, if subtly, always made excuses for himself like this while simultaneously propping the job he's done. If this year doesn't work out, it's going to be more injuries, or Romo's back, or something.

I guess if your boss is dumb enough to buy that it takes half a decade to build a good team in today's NFL when you'd already inherited many good players including a top QB, it doesn't hurt to try to sell it.

But as dumb as Jerry may be, I'm not sure even he is that dumb.

Jerry knows exactly what he has in JG and he brings in seasoned coaches to try and cover for Garrett's deficiencies. We debate Garrett to death around here but even Jerry has admitted to his miscues and sideline/gameday management, or lack thereof (Jerry: "We’ve put a lot of effort into training Jason Garrett. I want to take advantage of that. If we don’t have him, we don’t get payback for all the miscues and losses and criticism of sideline management").

Jerry sees it even though some fans don't or refuse to admit it. But Garrett hangs around because Jerry can control him and Jerry can just be himself without the "eggshells." That's why I think it's comical to think Garrett has some added influence with Jerry on draft day. I mean, he can't even keep his brother employed or control his assistant coaches which is an area where I believe JG should have complete control as a real HC.