Five NFL coaches on the hot seat (The race for Belichick)

BigD5

Reaction score
Something fans/media need to remember is that "the right fit" is important to Belichick. I am pretty sure there are certain GMs/owners he won't work for.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/bill-belichick-best-fits-coaches-hot-seat

The race for Bill Belichick? Five best fits for teams with coaches on hot seat
Published Oct. 1, 2024 3:55 p.m. ET

Dallas Cowboys: Everything about this makes sense. It’s about as high-profile a job as Belichick will find. It comes with a franchise quarterback and a Lawrence Taylor-like defensive player in Micah Parsons. They were good enough to win 12 games each of the last three years. Belichick’s old friend, Bill Parcells, can tell him how to work with Jerry Jones. And don’t forget: Mike McCarthy is coaching in the final year of his contract, so there likely will be an opening this winter if the Cowboys (2-2) don’t turn things around.

https://fansided.com/posts/nfl-hot-seat-watch-week-4-sirianni-pederson-saleh

3 NFL head coaches on the hot seat after dismal Week 4 performances
The pressure is mounting.
By Zachary Rotman | Sep 29, 2024

CBS Sports list

Mike McDaniel (Dolphins): Just landed a contract extension, and has had past success, but he must coach better -- and soon.
Doug Pederson, Jacksonville Jaguars.
Brian Daboll, New York Giants. ...
Nick Sirianni, Philadelphia Eagles. ...
Robert Saleh, New York Jets. ...
Matt Eberflus, Chicago Bears. Record with Bears: 12-26. ...

Cowboy fans couldn’t handle Belichick. He only cares about winning. No flash

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Has Bill even said he wants to get back into coaching? Or is all this just some media nonsense?

Either way, no way do I see him wanting to come here and work with the cheap Jones' boys. It's the move they would make though vs. going and finding some young innovative coach (which is what we all desire).

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Something fans/media need to remember is that "the right fit" is important to Belichick. I am pretty sure there are certain GMs/owners he won't work for.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/bill-belichick-best-fits-coaches-hot-seat

The race for Bill Belichick? Five best fits for teams with coaches on hot seat
Published Oct. 1, 2024 3:55 p.m. ET

Dallas Cowboys: Everything about this makes sense. It’s about as high-profile a job as Belichick will find. It comes with a franchise quarterback and a Lawrence Taylor-like defensive player in Micah Parsons. They were good enough to win 12 games each of the last three years. Belichick’s old friend, Bill Parcells, can tell him how to work with Jerry Jones. And don’t forget: Mike McCarthy is coaching in the final year of his contract, so there likely will be an opening this winter if the Cowboys (2-2) don’t turn things around.

https://fansided.com/posts/nfl-hot-seat-watch-week-4-sirianni-pederson-saleh

3 NFL head coaches on the hot seat after dismal Week 4 performances
The pressure is mounting.
By Zachary Rotman | Sep 29, 2024

CBS Sports list

Mike McDaniel (Dolphins): Just landed a contract extension, and has had past success, but he must coach better -- and soon.
Doug Pederson, Jacksonville Jaguars.
Brian Daboll, New York Giants. ...
Nick Sirianni, Philadelphia Eagles. ...
Robert Saleh, New York Jets. ...
Matt Eberflus, Chicago Bears. Record with Bears: 12-26. ...

McCarthy manages to barely squeak past the worst team in the NFL and he isn't on the hot seat? That doesn't make sense.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If you add Parsons's upcoming deal, Jerry will have close to half a billion dollars invested in 3 players. Just my take but I don't see him trusting this team/investment with some young unproven coach, especially one he has to mentor and babysit. I think MM's replacement will have extensive experience that commands players' respect ( especially the big 3 ).

Besides ....as much as I keep reading posters wanting a young fresh guy, who???? Kubiach?

Sidenote.......I can see Brian Daboll as Belichick's first top choice as OC. They have a long history together.....

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Has Bill even said he wants to get back into coaching?
Yes! But he has made it very clear, it has to be the right team for him. Only one team interviewed for HC vacancy last season. The rest was either a bad fit or young GMs were intimidated by his presence. This is why the Cowboys are a perfect fit.......he gets to work directly with Jerry, and not a lot of layers of management.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Fans keep saying he didn't win after Brady. Well, that may be true but Brady desperately needed the Bucs defense to win his last Super Bowl.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you add Parsons's upcoming deal, Jerry will have close to half a billion dollars invested in 3 players. Just my take but I don't see him trusting this team/investment with some young unproven coach, especially one he has to mentor and babysit. I think MM's replacement will have extensive experience that commands players' respect ( especially the big 3 ).

Besides ....as much as I keep reading posters wanting a young fresh guy, who???? Kubiach?

Sidenote.......I can see Brian Daboll as Belichick's first top choice as OC. They have a long history together.....
Let's review Jerry Jones' head coaching hires and his motivations:

Jimmy Johnson - best college football head coach at the time and old college football teammate and friend

Barry Switzer - old college football mentor and friend

Chan Gailey - "We needed someone to come in who could make it clear to everyone, including the players, that Jerry does not call the plays. Would Jerry Jones have brought Chan Gailey in if he wanted to call the plays?" - Jerry Jones, Los Angeles Times, August 27, 1998 (link) (Author) Mark Lane's non-quoted conclusions from the same article:

Even though there was scrutiny in Pittsburgh for the way Gailey called the Steelers' 24-21 loss to the Denver Broncos in the AFC Championship Game that January, Jones was impressed with the way Gailey developed receiver Kordell Stewart from his "slash" role as a gadget player to a full-fledged starting quarterback.​
The Cowboys also hired Gailey to bring back the discipline they seemed to have lost during the Barry Switzer tenure from 1994-1997, even though the former Oklahoma Sooners coach led the Cowboys to a Super Bowl win in 1995. Additionally, there was a perception that Jones was having a bigger influence on the coaching than he had when Johnson was on the sidelines. Gailey was to fix that perception.​

Dave Campo - safe, chummy, decade+ Johnson staff leftover.

Bill Parcells - High profile, Super Bowl winning head coach and true foundation of securing the future AT&T Stadium..?

Wade Phillips - journeyman coach, highly respected for defensive mind and player relationships who purposefully avoided the media spotlight unless necessary.

Jason Garrett - Jones designated NFL coaching prodigy despite an extremely abbreviated coaching resume. Picked from the already established non-Jones blood relationships family.

Mike McCarthy - unemployed 2019 season Super Bowl winning head coach, respected for his offensive mind. "You love the ambition and the fire in a young person and willing and dare to be great. You love all of that. But obviously you want to get the experience that is involved in decisions, because we all know every young person gets stepped on. That's part of what we are. You've heard it here -- to have someone that certainly has had it not go exactly like he wanted it to over this past year or two and to have him demonstrate that resolve just from afar, plus have him to be able to sit there. I mean, those things, [the] Lombardis [trophies] are hard to get a hold of and we know that. And he's had one of his own right here. To catch that right now and get our time to do that was just an opportunity." - Jerry Jones, ESPN, January 9, 2020 (link)

I do not know. Jones has not hired an 'outsider' Bill Belichick-type personality since Parcells. And that particular hire was highly likely not initiated strictly upgrading the head coach position.

Two of the 'half a billion dollars invested' players are on offense. The investment argument makes more sense concerning Micah Parsons if Jones' self-image can accept Belichick long enough to get him to sign on the dotted line. Then Jones must make himself bow to Belichick's recommendations for offensive and quarterback coordinators (something inherently atypical of him) to maximize the effectiveness of his number one, half a billion dollars investment of that trio.

I want Jones making wise managerial choices. However, I doubt he can will himself into going against his own grain in order to accomplish the feat.

In my opinion, what Jones should do is an exhaustive head coach interview process--something he has never done. Experience matters. Competence matters. A coaching finalist's age should not be an automatic write-off if he has gained and earned experience and competence.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
In my opinion, what Jones should do is an exhaustive head coach interview process--something he has never done. Experience matters. Competence matters. A coaching finalist's age should not be an automatic write-off if he has gained and earned experience and competence
I agree 100% but he won't.......he once said he always has 1-2 potential head coaching candidates in the back of his head.

BTW....this is what he said in January of about Belichick

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39429443/cowboys-jerry-jones-no-doubt-work-bill-belichick

Cowboys' Jerry Jones: 'No doubt' I could work with Bill Belichick

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree 100% but he won't.......he once said he always has 1-2 potential head coaching candidates in the back of his head.

BTW....this is what he said in January of about Belichick

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39429443/cowboys-jerry-jones-no-doubt-work-bill-belichick

Cowboys' Jerry Jones: 'No doubt' I could work with Bill Belichick
Yes. Thanks. I remember him saying that but should we compare notes on Jerry Jones' ENTIRE track record on what he says he will do before he actually does it? :laugh:

Additionally (and playing Devil's Advocate on Jones' behalf), it takes two to agree on a working partnership. 72-year old Bill Belichick did not have any serious suitors (including Jones) in 2024. 73-year old Belichick may have more than Jones as a suitor in 2025.

Keep in mind Belichick's past decision-making history as well:

This is the same individual hired by the New York Jets as their new head coach and quit the next day in order to join the New England Patriots. It speaks to what his words mean as well concerning his potential working relationship with Jones--just in case we introduce those comments into the conversation too. ;)

EDIT: Stupid idiotic YouTube and their NFL video content restrictions! :banghead:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If anyone was itching to hire Bill Belichick, he would’ve been hired after he was pushed out at New England.

Mr_437

Reaction score
BB would be a disaster hire because Tom Brady isn't the QB, which, means BB could very likely be the next HC.