Five things that'll define Week 3: Tony Romo's success

drawandstrike

Reaction score
'Tony Romo' is still trending on Twitter hours after the Cincy/GB game ended. That's how good he was today.

0b34a4608538053.jpg

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Two weeks into his broadcasting career, CBS analyst Tony Romo has already established himself as one of the game's most distinct voices -- thanks in part to the prestige portion of his act.

In addition to the breezy digestion of complex schemes and coverages, Romo can predict the future. With startling accuracy, Romo has been able to point out what the offense or defense is doing before it actually happens, thanks to more than a decade of recent experience. America quickly noticed.

In a copycat world where TV executives have seen Romo's quarterback instincts create social media wildfire, it begs the obvious question: When will other analysts be forced to follow suit? Also -- why haven't they already?

"The thing that will most likely happen, though, like everything else in life and especially in our industry is, you start getting the copycats -- they'll start saying, Well who are we going to get?" longtime play-by-play man Bob Papa told me. "And you know what? There's going to be a lot of epic fails."

In conversations with Papa, the voice of the New York Giants, and long-time color analyst/NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock this week, a few things became clear to me. First, Romo will force those who have been asleep at the wheel calling games for decades to get back into the film room. Second, what Romo is doing isn't necessarily new -- it's just perfectly raw and what he's comfortable with for now. Third, is the reason other analysts don't call out plays at a higher volume because they're afraid to be wrong?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...hings-thatll-define-week-3-tony-romos-success
i just listned to Romo calling the Packer game today and i must say he is already my favorite commentator in all of NFL broadcasting...he nails the reads and has a hawks eye for defense and offensive probability of what might be called...i learn a lot just by listening to him..you are right other broadcasters better start doing some serious homework

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
During today's CIN-GB game, you heard something very clear: Romo is a fan of football.

At times he doesn't sound like a broadcaster, he sounds like US...the Joe Schmoes sitting back enjoying the games, getting excited about good football.

I like that.
I love Romo now more than ever..i miss him being our QB not just because Dak is struggling a little...i miss ol tony

fishspill

Reaction score
Half of the reddit post-game thread for GB-Cincy was people loving Tony's commentating. I think it was the top topic thread. Fans of every team want him calling their game.

erod

Reaction score
Romo can pursue whatever path he wants but I have a feeling that when Dallas has an opening for OC, he will be the first one putting his hat in the ring. IMO, he is not done with football in that aspect. He will go into coaching when the perfect opportunity arises :thumbup:
Why would a guy with $100 million sign up for a 90-hour a week job?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why would a guy with $100 million sign up for a 90-hour a week job?

Maybe because he loves it and isn't ready to leave the game? I don't know what he wants but it would not surprise me.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Hi can't wait for him to take over carrot-top. He seemed so aggressive in the booth for who Evers on offense. I'm drooling just thinking about him pushing us down the field

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
Hard to replicate what Romo is. He's always had a great personality in interviews, is well spoken, knows the game like few do and carries a following with him from being the Cowboys QB for so long. I mean based on here, Reddit and twitter, people are watching the games for the commentator. That's almost never happened.

The only reason I watched GB vs. Cincy was because I wanted to hear Romo.

MS17

Reaction score
Tony's enthusiasm is almost unmatched. Jim Nance has to catch up with him at times. A great get for CBS. A little more time doing broadcasts, he could be the very best we've heard. What I would really love to hear is Tony interviewing Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers, though I doubt CBS lets it happen.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Listened to him this week for the first time for a whole game and he is definitely interesting to listen to. I think being paired with a pretty straight laced Nantz works well. He uses a lot of sound effects similar to what Madden used to do. I was waiting for him to break out the telestrator or comments on OL sweat patterns.

erod

Reaction score
Maybe because he loves it and isn't ready to leave the game? I don't know what he wants but it would not surprise me.

How many highly compensated players do you see on coaching staffs?

Guys that get paid will take front office jobs, but they don't want the grind of coaching. Coaches work twice as many hours as players.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
How many highly compensated players do you see on coaching staffs?

Guys that get paid will take front office jobs, but they don't want the grind of coaching. Coaches work twice as many hours as players.

You don't know any more about what he wants than I do. Maybe he feels a bit empty inside for never getting a ring. Maybe he will travel that path to get one. The point is.......none of us know what he wants to fulfill. He might like the grind.....

I wouldn't leave that cush CBS job for it but some people just love the game and want to be in the middle of it.

I never said he will coach definitively BTW, just stated that there will be opportunities for him to do so if he chooses. I happen to think he would consider it for Dallas.

erod

Reaction score
You don't know any more about what he wants than I do. Maybe he feels a bit empty inside for never getting a ring. Maybe he will travel that path to get one. The point is.......none of us know what he wants to fulfill. He might like the grind.....

I wouldn't leave that cush CBS job for it but some people just love the game and want to be in the middle of it.

I never said he will coach BTW, just stated that there will be opportunities for him to do so if he chooses.

I've never seen a good NFL quarterbacks that made good money go into coaching. It's always the backup scrubs like Kubiak and Pederson.

Also, I don't think Romo can teach what he sees. Guys like him learn it better than the OCs they work under.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Romo was a dedicated student of the game who played behind center for the past fourteen years.

None of these current commentators will have the knowledge and experience to ascertain what is going to happen like he does. Nor will they even attempt to study any of it, because frankly, it's a lot of work. They are bound for failure.

The only way they could copycat what he does is if they hire someone just like him, i.e., a QB who has played in the league and was as dedicated as him.

Pretty much if Brady step in the booth. Surprise Manning didn't take up a gig.

MagicMan

Reaction score
I don't see Manning doing well as an analyst, you have to think quick and speak quicker because of the short allotted time you have in between plays....he would not get his whole point across in that short time. He speaks with a heavy southern drawl. That is what makes Tony good, he can say a lot of good insight for the average fan to understand in a few seconds. Plus he would probably have the same Aikman monotone style that I am getting tired of already.

So the key is not just the knowledge the QB or whoever might have to be an analyst, but the quick processing and delivery of that information. Many don't have it. Tony seems to have IT and seems to come natural. With only 3 games under his belt, he already is talked about as one of the better analysts, LOL.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Has anyone heard from Bonnie Bernstein? She went off when it was announced that Romo would get the number 1 broadcast spot. I remember she tweeted that it was total crap that he'd take Simms' spot. Maybe the people in charge knew a little more than Ms Bernstein.

silver

Reaction score
I cant believe Simms held on to that job for that long. Tony is head and shoulders better than him and the rest of the talking heads in only his third game. And you know what else is nice, those of us who have been Tony's fans from day one knew this already just from listening to him getting interviewed all these years. Good for him. I was a fan when he was our QB, and now I find myself searching on Fridays what game he will be calling to plan my Sundays accordingly.