"Fix defense" too broad -- "fix run defense"

stilltheguru

Reaction score
In the long term , yes. Jaylon is a liability. I don't watch White or Simmons every Sunday but if you're judging draft picks by how good they are in their rookie/sophmore season let's just go ahead an end the conversation now.
Running backs and lbs particularly high draft picks are what they are immediately. It's not like cornerback and QB.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The defense is bad on all three levels, particularly in the middle, but they also suck on the edges and the LBs and DBs can't read, react and run down a play. A couple of studs in the middle of the DL and at LB would change things dramatically. Improve the OL, get back to a ball control offense, and that will help the D as well.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Well said.

What we do on D simply won't matter until we fix the DLine. Look at how much better we've become w/ Hamilton, and he's a JAG.

Right. It would be one thing if we were ok against the run and getting beaten through the air. But we're so bad against the run that teams aren't even bothering to pass the ball.

I'm telling you guys, OCs around the league would love to see Dallas neglect the run and put a shiny new CB into this mess. And honestly JJ is almost certainly gonna take the CB and the fans will eat it up but maybe we can get a Martin over Manziel situation and JJ does the smart, not shiny thing

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Consider this:

In 2015, on the Dallas Cowboys official forums Byron Jones was selected in almost all of our group mock drafts. I was constantly beating the table for Eric Kendricks.

Well fast forward to 2020. We took Jones, we got 2 interceptions and 1 probowl from him, and then we lost him to free agency. Everyone knew we'd lose him in free agency, we were never even part of that conversation. His cap hit this year was 17M, which would have been more than anyone on this team except Dak's tag.

Meanwhile Kendricks also has one probowl, was extended by his drafting team, cost several million less every year, and is in PFFs top 5 at the position both this year and last.

You build around Bobby Wagner, not Richard Sherman. You stop the run or your pass defense doesn't matter.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Lol...sad but true

It’s not hard. Get DTs that can anchor and effect the run game and LBs that have instincts.

Good news is LVE is showing signs of life now he’s healthy and he’s shown us he can be a monster. Fix the DT position and we can at least be average against the run.

I love the idea of putting Parsons at Mike and moving LVE to the weak side, just like we put RoMac at Mike and moved Lee to the weak side years ago.

I think Parsons/LVE with Smith eating blocks at Sam as LB3 would have us back in the "top LB group" conversation and revolutionize our defense.

People like to comment that good DTs make everyone look better but then balk at a top LB making DTs and everyone else look better too. How fans of this franchise could fail to appreciate this boggles my mind. For half a decade we watched the night and day difference of this defense when Lee was and wasn't healthy. That's what we're talking about here.

kskboys

Reaction score
Right. It would be one thing if we were ok against the run and getting beaten through the air. But we're so bad against the run that teams aren't even bothering to pass the ball.

I'm telling you guys, OCs around the league would love to see Dallas neglect the run and put a shiny new CB into this mess. And honestly JJ is almost certainly gonna take the CB and the fans will eat it up but maybe we can get a Martin over Manziel situation and JJ does the smart, not shiny thing
The league laughs at us every time we focus on CB's and WR's.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Rookies
The draft should not be focused on the needs of the upcoming season.

The performance of rookies during their rookie seasons tends to be unpredictable.

Run Stopping
Run stopping type DTs are available after the 1st round.

First round DTs should be elite at both pass rushing and run stopping.

People don't comprehend this and I blame the team for that. The only real upgrades come through the draft so people don't think about the big picture with players they just think Dallas needs defense so draft defense.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The league laughs at us every time we focus on CB's and WR's.

I disagree about corners.

Corners are too expensive on the open market so it's a position that I will take 5 quality years from on a rookie deal even if that means burning a 1.

Heck i'd take Byron Jones over a lot of the guys we decided to lock down.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

You can accomplish both.

Stuffing the run at the NFL level shouldn't be that difficult. It's mostly assignment and effort on that end.

It's a passing league. Not 1994. If you spend your most valuable resources building a defense thats good at stopping the run then that is pretty foolish IMO.

The #1 priority is putting pressure on the QB and #2 priority is taking away options with coverage.

Teams running the ball should be a W for the defense. Just like it is when we run it now days.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Is he a significant upgrade? Who knows. Like I said, white hasn't been great. Simmons went top 10 he hasn't been great. What really makes him that great? I see hes an athletic freak but that doesn't mean you can diagnose a offense
Tampa has the best run D in football and Simmons wasn't drafted to defend the run.

A guy who simply knows what gap to be in - let's just say AJ Klein - would be a big upgrade to this run defense.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I love the idea of putting Parsons at Mike and moving LVE to the weak side, just like we put RoMac at Mike and moved Lee to the weak side years ago.

I think Parsons/LVE with Smith eating blocks at Sam as LB3 would have us back in the "top LB group" conversation and revolutionize our defense.

People like to comment that good DTs make everyone look better but then balk at a top LB making DTs and everyone else look better too. How fans of this franchise could fail to appreciate this boggles my mind. For half a decade we watched the night and day difference of this defense when Lee was and wasn't healthy. That's what we're talking about here.

It's like DB / pass rush play. Good CBs make the pass rush better and vice versa.

An elite LBr to pair up with LVE would def help our run D. Parsons also gives you a ton of value as a pass rusher.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Tampa has the best run D in football and Simmons wasn't drafted to defend the run.

A guy who simply knows what gap to be in - let's just say AJ Klein - would be a big upgrade to this run defense.
Whites pff grade was 39 last i checked. 39!!!!! Yall can pick and choose when to ise analytics all you want but I trust pff. They have no reason to lie on devin white. We'll agree to disagree

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Whites pff grade was 39 last i checked. 39!!!!! Yall can pick and choose when to ise analytics all you want but I trust pff. They have no reason to lie on devin white. We'll agree to disagree
It's not that PFF lies, it's that PFF uses a limited sample size so that they're often wrong. Plus, that's not specific to run defense.

And if the point is that drafting a LBer helps fix your run defense, you want LBers who play on the best run defense in football. I'm not saying that TB is good because of White, entirely.
He has a bunch of good fits here: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2020/film-room-tampa-bay-run-defense

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People don't comprehend this and I blame the team for that. The only real upgrades come through the draft so people don't think about the big picture with players they just think Dallas needs defense so draft defense.
They need a couple of defensive free agents that have played in a similar scheme.

Anybody from the Patriots would be a good option because the Pats move on from good players every year. They don't need super expensive free agents. Just players without a big injury history.

visionary

Reaction score
Needs on defense in order:

starting 1T DT
starting FS
starting LB to replace Jaylon
Starting SS
starting CB

I

Xavier187

Reaction score
Needs on defense in order:

starting 1T DT
starting FS
starting LB to replace Jaylon
Starting SS
starting CB

I
You can find the DT in round 4 or later
Fs should be Reggie Robinson II
Jaylon aint going no where
SS belongs to D. WILSON
We need 2 CBS and resign Awuzie to play FS just incase Reggie Isn't ready

visionary

Reaction score
You can find the DT in round 4 or later
Fs should be Reggie Robinson II
Jaylon aint going no where
SS belongs to D. WILSON
We need 2 CBS and resign Awuzie to play FS just incase Reggie Isn't ready

And that’s the thinking that causes us to end up with a garbage defense tear after year after year

Xavier187

Reaction score
And that’s the thinking that causes us to end up with a garbage defense tear after year after year

How so?
Its a waste if you already plan on having guys at the position.

Your adding just to add.
There was alot of talk about bringing Awuzie back as a Safety.

Dallas ownership doesn't value DT before the 3rd round.
And D. WILSON is a beast

So how does that thinking make us mediocre?