Fix the Oline?

Big_D

Reaction score
Some think there will be huge changes when there are 2 spots up for grabs. Possibly only 1 if Tyron sticks around.

Tyron, Tyler, ? , Zach, Steele

or

Tyler, ? , ? , Zach, Steele

I think they’ll find a flex interior lineman with the 24th pick. A great center would be nice. But I don’t see anyone atm thats waiting in the wings good enough to step into a starting role if Tyron does leave.

Should be interesting…

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Some think there will be huge changes when there are 2 spots up for grabs. Possibly only 1 if Tyron sticks around.

or

I think they’ll find a flex interior lineman with the 24th pick. A great center would be nice. But I don’t see anyone atm thats waiting in the wings good enough to step into a starting role if Tyron does leave.

Should be interesting…
I say there's a few options at center, hopefully the top option is gone so we trade back, and get more picks. The pick the smart pick would be the oregon center if he's there!

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Tyler Smith learned a valuable trick from Martin. Guard is much easier and in Dallas you get to play where you want and you can still get paid like a LT. We need to find the LT of the future. It has to be the top priority. I know that moving on from Tyron Smith is impossible so he can be a swing tackle.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

or

Should be interesting…
could bass be a potential candidate at guard? could Richards play (he is a swing tackle hopefully). we had our chance last year to draft Torrence last year and didn't. which could have addressed a big need, move on from Smith. move tyler out, stick Torrence at guard and draft a center (or FA)

Big_D

Reaction score
could bass be a potential candidate at guard? could Richards play (he is a swing tackle hopefully). we had our chance last year to draft Torrence last year and didn't. which could have addressed a big need, move on from Smith. move tyler out, stick Torrence at guard and draft a center (or FA)
I could see a center/guard at 24. And a possible FA guard if they aren’t comfortable with their bench. I agree, they certainly had opportunities to be in better shape on the line than they currently are.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score

Should be interesting…
Jerry already stated that Tyler is a guard and will remain a guard as a starter. Although if we go through the dregs of starting Richards or Waletzko and they are putrid I can see them temporarily starting Tyler as a LT.

Creeper

Reaction score
We need upgrades on the OL for sure. This group simply cannot run block very effectively.

But we have greater needs on the DL and at LB.

I think a lot will have to do with the improvement, if any, of Bass, Hoffman and Asim Richards. Remember, Connor McGovern did not reach his potential until his 3rd or 4th year. Bass and Richards are going into year 2 and Hoffman year 3. We should expect some improvement for all of them. I have given up on Ball and Waletzko. Both can't stay healthy. Then there is Steele. Will he return to his pre-injury form? He is supposed to be a hard worker and dedicated to improving himself. The injury may have held him back. If he returns to form he and Zack will be fine on the right side. If not, then I think the running game will be inconsistent like it was last season.

I can see Dallas drafting a C at 24. That would not be a huge disappointment as long as it is a player that deserves to be drafted at 24 and not a reach. But I wonder if a rookie will be good enough to really help the running game.

I think if they draft OL, it will be for the future, not for 2024, unless it is a C to replace Biadasz.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
How many other playoff teams had 3 pro bowlers on the OL? The OL requires constant development of players and is always a good bet to invest in top talent given the longevity of productive careers within that unit. The OL was not the Cowboys problem in 2023, but they will have some work to do in order to solidify their LT position. An upgrade at C would be nice, but it's not a screaming issue.

vlad

Reaction score

or

Should be interesting…
The scheme seemed to suck last year at least the run blocking. Hopefully Solari is changed or changes as well

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

or

Should be interesting…
There will be options. What we should not do with the 24th pick is draft a reach pick based on position need. We made this mistake last year with both the Mazi pick and the Schoonmaker pick, where our FO decided position need was more important than talent.

We can do better in draft situations like this and have even recently. In 2021 this FO was clearly looking for a CB and we had the 12th pick. When CBs Patrick Surtain and Jaycee Horn were taken, thankfully we chose a super talented Micah Parsons instead of reaching for a CB at that point. (We did reach somewhat for Kelvin Joseph in round 2 and we know how that turned out) And a year later, we also selected Deron Bland in round 5 which turned out to be a great pick for value and need.

The Cowboys will have chances to get better at multiple positions in this draft and free agency. But we need to be smart about it.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
You’re looking at maybe 3 spots on the OL. Tyron for sure -LT
Tyler, maybe with his foot -LG
Biadasz, they prob want to keep him, but at what cost and is he elite? - C

I guess you keep the right side where it is, but they have got to get a LT or LG and figure out the Tyler foot thing. C/G is a good guess for the first pick unless a DE Dallas to them.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
There will be options. What we should not do with the 24th pick is draft a reach pick based on position need. We made this mistake last year with both the Mazi pick and the Schoonmaker pick, where our FO decided position need was more important than talent.

We can do better in draft situations like this and have even recently. In 2021 this FO was clearly looking for a CB and we had the 12th pick. When CBs Patrick Surtain and Jaycee Horn were taken, thankfully we chose a super talented Micah Parsons instead of reaching for a CB at that point. (We did reach somewhat for Kelvin Joseph in round 2 and we know how that turned out) And a year later, we also selected Deron Bland in round 5 which turned out to be a great pick for value and need.

The Cowboys will have chances to get better at multiple positions in this draft and free agency. But we need to be smart about it.
Based on the early draft selection models and player rankings coming out, I'm finding it hard for the guys to blow this one.

Personal preference would be to take Powers-Johnson if he's there at 24 but that's trending in the, "he gone" direction, but I wouldn't shed a tear with taking one of the viable Tackle options that should be there as well.

To me, anything other than one of those two positions being the first option is a bit of a head-scratcher.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We've known for months the OL needs fixed. Not just personal but scheme, coaching and play calling also.

At a minimum there needs to be a new center and the Tyron situation needs addressed. Steele "should" be better a year removed from his surgery. Tyler and Zach are fine. A couple of good backups in place. Main thing is a new C and Tyron decision.

quickccc

Reaction score
The scheme seemed to suck last year at least the run blocking. Hopefully Solari is changed or changes as well
Coaching hiring better candidates have already been picked over by now.
And apparently McCarthy is going to stay with the questionable Mike Solari

So that means same sorry run block scheme will remain. We'll continue to see RBs tackled in backfield and it will be scheme better fit for slow ground pound bell cows. Forget splash plays, home run hits.