CFZ Fixing the Cowboys for 2024

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
First of all, let's get rid of any thoughts that anything CAN be done with the Cowboys as long as Jerry is the owner/general manager. What we would do or what we say has no bearing on the Cowboys anyway.

Jerry is the problem (or major problem at the very least). Players can be added or subtracted, coaches can be hired or fired, but ultimately it doesn't matter, it starts and ends with Jerry.

Now, having gotten that out of the way, as an exercise in frustration resolution let's make our posts.

Personally, I do not think there is any way to "fix" the Cowboys, like fixing a car that needs a new transmission or a battery or new brakes or a new water pump. The Cowboys are like a car that's been left in a field for 20 years, they have to be totally rebuilt. All that remains is that the car is the same make and model. EVERYTHING is either new or torn apart down to its basic components and cleaned up, ground down, hammered, welded or repainted.

Play Dak or cut him. Trade anybody who you can get good value for, with the exception of your young, top players - Parsons, Diggs, Lamb, Ferguson, Bland, etc. If you can't trade them, cut them. Trade away your draft picks this year for as many draft picks as you can get in the next 2-3 years. Draft, draft and draft some more. If you cut Dak, play Lance. If you keep Dak, eat the cap hit and blow off this year. Win, lose, doesn't matter, you're counting this year as a throwaway. Like it never happened. Play the season and then forget it.

At this point, I don't care if we go 0-17, let's start looking ahead to 2025....

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Past player available. Mazi May have been the best DT available and it was a need. But we tried to make him into something he was not.

He does not have a quick first step. Making him lighter did not help his game. Again trying to make someone into something they are it is only going to delay his development. We will cut him, then a team will use his strengths appropriately.

All we needed Mazi to do was hold his ground and eat up space. Keep our LB's clean and free to roam. Micah in the middle free to roam would cause serious damage and have 150+ tackles.
I never would draft for need. You free agent for need. IMHO. At least then you know what you will get. They never should of let Watkins out the building to begin with. He would of been the prefect replacement for Mazi until he figured it out. PS we didn't have any Lbackers most of the season. Agreed about Parson.

Mikexike

Reaction score
Let’s talk about what it will take to build this team into a true contender for a championship. So…What does this team need (besides a new GM?, lol) In order to fix this team’s many weaknesses, here are my big picture roster recommendations:
  • Before talking about any specific player, the first thing this team needs OVERALL is to recognize they aren’t as close as they like to think. This team is STILL way too soft, too small on defense, not nasty enough at DL, and still incapable of imposing its will on either side of the ball. DT, LB, OL, and RB are huge needs for this team.

• Everyone talks about needing another QB. And honestly, I’m ready to consider that. Dak is not as bad as way too many here think, but sometimes when your QB can’t seem to raise his level of play in the biggest moments, it becomes that much harder to make it happen the next time. BUT…then I start thinking about who will be his replacement? Ugh. It’s not that easy.
    • Trey Lance? Are we willing to just throw him the keys without any test drive? The guy the niners gave up on is our new starter? I’m not ready to say that.
    • The draft? Don’t see how with the 24th pick we can be reasonably sure that can produce someone who can step in and win playoff games. Besides the Jones front office somehow refuses year after to even consider drafting a QB early.
    • Cooper Rush? Please.
    • I wouldn’t mind seeing a trade for Dak because I guarantee there are teams who would like his services. He would have to approve it but he may be ready to consider it. I would if I were him. But his contract situation is complicated. If Dak would approve a trade to a willing partner in a “sign and trade” type deal, some teams might do that for a first round pick.
    • But again…who is your QB then?
  • For everyone screaming for Dak to go…have you thought this through? I’m tired of watching Dak suck in big games but do we have better options with this front office?
  • This next point is big IMO. The biggest need for this team is for guys who can bring a physical and tough presence. And those positions of need include DT, LB, G, C and Tackle. Because watching that packer team completely dominate the LOS and impose their physical will on a supposedly better team was eye opening. Remember the Buffalo game? The bills just rammed it down our throats all day long. It was like watching a bully steal lunch money.
    • Only a blind homer would say the Cowboys are a physical team. We aren’t.
    • For those saying our defense dominated at times last year, I say not unless two things happened: 1. We get multiple turnovers and 2. Got a two score lead. When this team had to rely on its defense to keep them in the game while behind, it could not do it.
    • The running game was anemic all year. We need an upgrade to the OL and a new RB.

There are tons of players that could help this team. But as I watch the playoff games this weekend, it seems pretty clear the Cowboys - as they are currently constructed - are NOT that close.

The guy who is the dominant face of this franchise by design has had three decades to build a roster he selected, and coached by coaches he is “comfortable” with. And we have 4 wild card wins to show for all that. I only bring this up to remind us that when he says “we are close”, forgive me if I don’t have any confidence in that statement.

We need to get bigger, tougher and if many fans have their way, miraculously find a QB who is an improvement. That’s a tall order. But it starts with being honest, something this front office never seems to do. The Star needs a lot of mirrors these days when it comes to figuring out the problems. But they CAN be fixed if they recognize what they really need.
I agree with most of what you said, Watching these playoff games showed me 4 Things we are missing.

1) LB's like SF and Bal.
2) Big nasty DL i.e detroit
3) RB built like CMC, AJONES or even Pacheco
4) Big nasty OL i.e bills

I'd field that team with Trey Lance if they can do 3 of the 4 on my wish list.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Dont overthink it.

Get a good QB.

Win.
What's a good quarterback? Brady-Mahomes-Jackson-Burrow??? :facepalm: Good luck with that.... You guys think you can dial 1-800-I need a good quarterback and have him shipped to Dallas:laugh::facepalm: By the way....all these guys have great coaches and GM's also....Good luck with that...again :laugh: :facepalm:

TwentyOne

Reaction score
What's a good quarterback? Brady-Mahomes-Jackson-Burrow??? :facepalm: Good luck with that.... You guys think you can dial 1-800-I need a good quarterback and have him shipped to Dallas:laugh::facepalm:
Good lower tier QBs with whom you can win Championships are Flacco, Stafford, Goff ...
Those you named are upper tier good QBs. You dont need those to win a championship.

You can find the needed QB in every draft in the lower first round or 2nd to 3rd. Its not such a big deal as people like to make you believe.

You just have to have the will to invest in the most important position.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
With McCarthy and Dak both in the last year of their deals, it is time to make one last shot before starting over. If they can't do it, you fire everybody and start over. Pretty simple.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Good lower tier QBs with whom you can win Championships are Flacco, Stafford, Goff ...
Those you named are upper tier good QBs. You dont need those to win a championship.

You can find the needed QB in every draft in the lower first round or 2nd to 3rd. Its not such a big deal as people like to make you believe.

You really believe if Purdy went to the Bears they would be in the NFC Championship?

IceStar-D7

Reaction score

Flacco??? You really are desperate :facepalm: The others are under contract. So again...1-800-I need a good quarterback....Jerry has invested 60 million in one year. How much more you want him to invest????? You already invested in lower rounds. That's how we got, Dak:thumbup:

TwentyOne

Reaction score
With McCarthy and Dak both in the last year of their deals, it is time to make one last shot before starting over. If they can't do it, you fire everybody and start over. Pretty simple.
I think Everson Walls said during Mick Shots: "JJ is over 80 years old, no way he is firing everybody and start from new". Something like that.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Flacco??? You really are desperate :facepalm: The others are under contract. So again...1-800-I need a good quarterback....Jerry has invested 60 million in one year. How much more you want him to invest????? You already invested in lower rounds. That's how we got, Dak:thumbup:
What are you talking about ?

I gave you examples you asked for. And clarified things that you did not understand.

I did not make suggestions who we could or should sign.

And i did not say that i want to invest in lower rounds. I said 1st thru 3rd round. Those are upper rounds you want to find starting caliber players in.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
All we needed Mazi to do was hold his ground and eat up space
No, no and no.

NFL nose tackles need to be able to pressure the qb as well as "eat up space". Look at the NFC Pro Bowl tackles - Jevon Hargrave - 7.0 sacks, Dexter Lawrence - 4.5 sacks. Both those guys are well over 300 lbs.

See, that's the biggest problem, other than Jerry, with the Cowboys - they are always behind the times, other teams are the innovators, Dallas just reacts, and by the time they do, the league has changed again.

This isn't the 1980's, NTs have to be complete football players, not just lumps of fat....

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
What are you talking about ?

I gave you examples you asked for. And clarified things that you did not understand.

I did not make suggestions who we could or should sign.

And i did not say that i want to invest in lower rounds. I said 1st thru 3rd round. Those are upper rounds you want to find starting caliber players in.
Well then, my fellow Dallas fan. You're talking pie in the shy dreams. I didn't ask you to clarify anything... If I did my bad. I said you can't dial 1-800 and get a good quarterback. Dallas has had two good quarterbacks since Troy. Romo and Dak...you said good. Not great....

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Well then, my fellow Dallas fan. You're talking pie in the shy dreams. I didn't ask you to clarify anything... If I did my bad. I said you can't dial 1-800 and get a good quarterback. Dallas has had two good quarterbacks since Troy. Romo and Dak...you said good. Not great....
And i wrote that you dont need a great QB to win. You just need a lower tier good one. I gave you examples.

It is not that hard to find those. Still you have to have provide a lower tier good QB with enough talent so he can win you games.

When i talk about investment i dont talk about money only and of course not for one season.

I am talking about draft picks and money. You draft a QB every year in the 2nd to 3rd round and spent your highest first rounder on one every third year.
And you do this always, not only for some years.

We dont invest anything into the position. In the last 15 years we were lucky to find a UFA and these days are still trying to convince us how damn intelligent we were to find his follow up in the 4th round. Both findings havent panned out.
i dont want to go into a discussion where you rank them.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Let’s talk about what it will take to build this team into a true contender for a championship. So…What does this team need (besides a new GM?, lol) In order to fix this team’s many weaknesses, here are my big picture roster recommendations:
  • Before talking about any specific player, the first thing this team needs OVERALL is to recognize they aren’t as close as they like to think. This team is STILL way too soft, too small on defense, not nasty enough at DL, and still incapable of imposing its will on either side of the ball. DT, LB, OL, and RB are huge needs for this team.

• Everyone talks about needing another QB. And honestly, I’m ready to consider that. Dak is not as bad as way too many here think, but sometimes when your QB can’t seem to raise his level of play in the biggest moments, it becomes that much harder to make it happen the next time. BUT…then I start thinking about who will be his replacement? Ugh. It’s not that easy.
    • Trey Lance? Are we willing to just throw him the keys without any test drive? The guy the niners gave up on is our new starter? I’m not ready to say that.
    • The draft? Don’t see how with the 24th pick we can be reasonably sure that can produce someone who can step in and win playoff games. Besides the Jones front office somehow refuses year after to even consider drafting a QB early.
    • Cooper Rush? Please.
    • I wouldn’t mind seeing a trade for Dak because I guarantee there are teams who would like his services. He would have to approve it but he may be ready to consider it. I would if I were him. But his contract situation is complicated. If Dak would approve a trade to a willing partner in a “sign and trade” type deal, some teams might do that for a first round pick.
    • But again…who is your QB then?
  • For everyone screaming for Dak to go…have you thought this through? I’m tired of watching Dak suck in big games but do we have better options with this front office?
  • This next point is big IMO. The biggest need for this team is for guys who can bring a physical and tough presence. And those positions of need include DT, LB, G, C and Tackle. Because watching that packer team completely dominate the LOS and impose their physical will on a supposedly better team was eye opening. Remember the Buffalo game? The bills just rammed it down our throats all day long. It was like watching a bully steal lunch money.
    • Only a blind homer would say the Cowboys are a physical team. We aren’t.
    • For those saying our defense dominated at times last year, I say not unless two things happened: 1. We get multiple turnovers and 2. Got a two score lead. When this team had to rely on its defense to keep them in the game while behind, it could not do it.
    • The running game was anemic all year. We need an upgrade to the OL and a new RB.

There are tons of players that could help this team. But as I watch the playoff games this weekend, it seems pretty clear the Cowboys - as they are currently constructed - are NOT that close.

The guy who is the dominant face of this franchise by design has had three decades to build a roster he selected, and coached by coaches he is “comfortable” with. And we have 4 wild card wins to show for all that. I only bring this up to remind us that when he says “we are close”, forgive me if I don’t have any confidence in that statement.

We need to get bigger, tougher and if many fans have their way, miraculously find a QB who is an improvement. That’s a tall order. But it starts with being honest, something this front office never seems to do. The Star needs a lot of mirrors these days when it comes to figuring out the problems. But they CAN be fixed if they recognize what they really need.
If jerry had hired BB I might believe they could be a winner, but jerry didnt, so to me it is all hopeless, every year this team will do good but have
issues that keep it from competing in the playoffs.
Mike is back next year, so it wont be any better next year.

Jerry had a golden opportunity and he ignored it lol So cowboys are done for 2024 and beyond.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I think Everson Walls said during Mick Shots: "JJ is over 80 years old, no way he is firing everybody and start from new". Something like that.
Only if Everson truly believes that Jerry is that committed to winning another Super Bowl. I don't. Too many moves have been made and haven't been made to truly show that you are going all in.

Chasing6

Reaction score
What is the difference of College athlete wanting to sit out a bowl game vs potentially getting hurt before the draft and an NFL free agent to be not wanting to play in the playoffs?

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Only if Everson truly believes that Jerry is that committed to winning another Super Bowl. I don't. Too many moves have been made and haven't been made to truly show that you are going all in.
I dont think he meant it like that. He just meant that JJ is not willing to start all over again.

I dont think either that JJ will go all in. He will do what he did the last few years: sell his product and do essentially nothing.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is the difference of College athlete wanting to sit out a bowl game vs potentially getting hurt before the draft and an NFL free agent to be not wanting to play in the playoffs?
There‘s huge difference:
  • The college kid risks his future career in a meaningless college bowl game (unless it’s the college playoff) and risks millions because of draft position and future earnings.
  • The already professional player is under an official NFL contract with binding clauses about playing time in that contract.